Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What’s up k20 family! My setup consists of a sidewinder and I was wondering if any of you guys are running this side cover oil drain? Seems like a long haul for the drain vs at the pan. Let’s hear your opinions. Thanks
Automotive tire Gas Space Machine Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’d be worried about the angle of the drain. Definitely better in my opinion to have it go to the pan. More gravity 😅. But never seen that setup to be honest. Looks more form over function.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
My question is why or what reason is this part made with a -10AN lines? I understand oil lines that are under pressure being -10AN lets say for remote oil coolers & oil filter relocation applications. I do not think the drain will perform any better being -10.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,036 Posts
My question is why or what reason is this part made with a -10AN lines? I understand oil lines that are under pressure being -10AN lets say for remote oil coolers & oil filter relocation applications. I do not think the drain will perform any better being -10.
I have always used a -10 drain line for b series because the oem coolant fitting on the head is what we welded to the pan and a -10 pushlock hose fits perfectly over it. I think a lot of turbos have a -10 drain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly don’t know why it’s the most commonly used size I just assumed for easy flow 🤷🏾‍♂️ I’ve seen 2 different versions of this piece now and was wondering how many people actually have it out there. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The funny thing is the tensioner is right there so your basically pumping hot oil from ur turbo onto your tensioner which I wouldn’t want to be doing
That is literally the same thing I thought! Why would I send hot oil straight to tensioner.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,036 Posts
I think that tensioner piece is more for the guys who are too lazy to do the oil pan the right way. It’s a pain in the ass with the motor in the car. But honestly every turbo kit I’ve ever seen on a Honda motor used an oil pan -10 drain from the turbo downwards.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I honestly don’t know why it’s the most commonly used size I just assumed for easy flow 🤷🏾‍♂️ I’ve seen 2 different versions of this piece now and was wondering how many people actually have it out there. Thanks
I just want to know the reason why -10 is the choice size. If it works great.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
This makes a lot more sense, top mount manifolds only. View attachment 105588
I personally like this concept better than the other. In this particular section of the engine, the polished aluminum one will be covered by dirt and oxidation rather quickly. This one looks like it will look new for awhile due to the coating.

I know that these fittings/adapters will drain OK to serve their purpose, to me it seems to make sense to have them at a pitch upwards. This way they would really drain correctly. The engines will already tilt backwards due to their placement making this design have reverse grade.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,036 Posts
Oil pan it is! I definitely felt like it was kinda far for a sidewinder drain. Of course the people selling it claim otherwise… thanks guys
Ya the marketing guys will tell you anything 😆 I would stick with what’s been done for years. The oil pans are a pain to take off in the car , I bent the sh!t out of mine and had to use my spare. And then cleaning all the oil silicone off on your back 🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 25 Posts