Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started up my car today, its a k24a2 in an EM1 with Kpro, but untuned, it does have a loaded base map. While warming up, and after idleing for about 20-25 minutes white steam would come out the exhaust. Also while touching the head after letting it idle for about 20 - 25 minutes the right side of the valve cover felt warm, wile the left side of the valve cover was very hot, i could barely hold my hand on it for 2 seconds.

Im not sure if i have a blown headgasket or bad head or something and it might be burning water/coolent or not.

Is this something i should worry about? Mostly concerned about one side of the valve cover being much hotter than the other side because i know that the steam may just be from the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the oil, it wasnt milky at all. Also my temp gauge doesnt work so i cant tell if my car is overheating or not, but i dont drive it, just start it up and let it run for a bit...

What would cause one side of the valve cover to be much hotter than the other side though?? is that normal?

·
k20a.orgy
2,957 Posts
do you have an si gauge cluster? you can change out the fuel/temp gauge part for like 40 bucks. bought a broken cluster for cheap and fixed it.

#14 on the thing below.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37610 to find the best deal.

78130-S01-L01 is the part no....or go to honda and order it if you want it faster.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
I checked the oil, it wasnt milky at all. Also my temp gauge doesnt work so i cant tell if my car is overheating or not, but i dont drive it, just start it up and let it run for a bit...

What would cause one side of the valve cover to be much hotter than the other side though?? is that normal?
the pulley side is very hot? If so thats normal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hondata will tell you what the temp is...and you should always check to see if your fan comes on after a few minutes in case it is overheating.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Letting it idle for so long its the hadest for the car to cool down. Make sure the fan works and you don't have a frozen hoze. Check to see if the bottom hose is hot or not. That will tell you if the termostat is working.

Stefan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts