Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Members,

I just completed my swap yesterday on my 2003 Honda Accord. I removed the K24A4 engine along with the 5 speed manual transmission and replaced it with a K24A along with a TSX 6 speed manual transmission. I have two issues I am trying to diagnose pertaining to shifting:
  • Inside the car, when shifting at idle, powered off, or while driving, it feels as if the gearing on the shifter have slightly moved over to the right. I know, I know, that is strange. For example, it feels as if gear 1 and 2 are actually gears 3 and 4 and then 3 and 4 feel as if they are in the position of 5 and 6. In other words, it feels "right justified". In fact, when I am in 5th and 6th, the shifter aka Change Lever Assembly, rubs a bit against the edge of the center console. Furthermore, I can't ever extend the shifter to the right to get into reverse because the shifter hits against the console completely (almost like a non-intentional "reverse lockout" 馃お )
  • Ok, so this second issue can be causing the issue above but I am not quite sure yet and could be two separate issues altogether. As you can see in the first picture below, the Select Lever seems to be popping out of the Shift Lever. The Select Lever is NOT staying in the groove of the Shift Lever.

As you can see, the Select Lever is not in the groove of the Shift Lever. This is currently causing the shifter in the car itself to be stuck in 5th and 6th gear. I cannot shift out of those gears because of this. Here is a second picture showing how far above the Select Lever is from the Shift Lever:

The Shift Wires have been inspected and are in good shape. The wires are NOT kinked and the bushings are in great shape as well. I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm also not sure about the shifter issue inside the car. I have not seen anywhere that this swap requires changing any of the shifter assembly inside to accommodate for a 6 speed either.

Thanks in advance!

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After removing the Select Lever and the Shift Lever, I was able to inspect the internal shaft components and return springs. It all checked out fine and was within the tolerances of OEM requirements. I then realized that the issue wasn't the internal components of the entire assembly, but instead, the Select Lever itself. When looking at the Select Lever closely, I noticed it was bent outward. However, I couldn't tell before because when it's on the transmission, since you are looking at it from an angle PLUS a top view, it doesn't look bad at all. It wasn't until I had it in my hand that I was able to really see why the Select Lever was NOT staying within the groove of the Shift Lever aka Change Lever.

When looking at the service manual, I saw that the clearance between the groove of the Change/Shift Lever and the Select Lever could NOT be out of the 0.05-0.25mm range. See diagram below:

There was no need to grab a feeler gauge to notice it was going to be out of spec because if you look at the images above in the previous post, it was completely out of the groove and stuck on top of the Shift Lever. That solidified my suspicion that it was bent out of the groove. There could be several reasons why this occurs but my money is on the the previous owner or someone else picking up the transmission from the Shift/Change Lever, causing stress with the weight of the transmission to the Select Lever and causing it to bend outward of it's groove. I've seen people grab transmission from there before and I'll admit, in my early days, I've done that too. It's an easy mistake and disappointed I didn't catch that issue sooner knowing this does happen.

The fix was pretty simple. Bend it back into place. As you can see below, I used a channel lock plier and it did the trick:

Now it's nice and snug and within tolerance inside the groove. My inside console shifter doesn't have any issues at all either. No more "right justified" feeling.

Registered
97 civic HX K24a
After removing the Select Lever and the Shift Lever, I was able to inspect the internal shaft components and return springs. It all checked out fine and was within the tolerances of OEM requirements. I then realized that the issue wasn't the internal components of the entire assembly, but instead, the Select Lever itself. When looking at the Select Lever closely, I noticed it was bent outward. However, I couldn't tell before because when it's on the transmission, since you are looking at it from an angle PLUS a top view, it doesn't look bad at all. It wasn't until I had it in my hand that I was able to really see why the Select Lever was NOT staying within the groove of the Shift Lever aka Change Lever.

When looking at the service manual, I saw that the clearance between the groove of the Change/Shift Lever and the Select Lever could NOT be out of the 0.05-0.25mm range. See diagram below:

View attachment 104525

There was no need to grab a feeler gauge to notice it was going to be out of spec because if you look at the images above in the previous post, it was completely out of the groove and stuck on top of the Shift Lever. That solidified my suspicion that it was bent out of the groove. There could be several reasons why this occurs but my money is on the the previous owner or someone else picking up the transmission from the Shift/Change Lever, causing stress with the weight of the transmission to the Select Lever and causing it to bend outward of it's groove. I've seen people grab transmission from there before and I'll admit, in my early days, I've done that too. It's an easy mistake and disappointed I didn't catch that issue sooner knowing this does happen.

The fix was pretty simple. Bend it back into place. As you can see below, I used a channel lock plier and it did the trick:

View attachment 104526

View attachment 104527

View attachment 104528

View attachment 104529

View attachment 104530

Now it's nice and snug and within tolerance inside the groove. My inside console shifter doesn't have any issues at all either. No more "right justified" feeling.
Nice fix without having to replace the part. Glad you got it figured out 馃憤

1 - 3 of 3 Posts