Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey

so i have a weird one for you guys. the shifter mechanism part on the transmission that has both cables connected to it and moves when you shift and the cables move, usually it's supposed to come close to the tranny, but this one actually hits it. the reason why i'm asking is it could potentially be why the car doesn't like to go into 2nd gear sometimes.

i'm just trying to see if maybe this is the problem vs buying another tranny.

the part i'm talking about is number 13 in the picture

thanks for any help guys

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
Remove the shifter mechanism, tighten bolt #19(12mm bolt), then clean up the surface areas, apply silicone gasket to them and reinstall the mechanism. I am sure that's your problem. It's an easy fix:up:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a customer yesterday complaining that here second gear kept poping out, when I looked at the tranny while shifting into second gear I noticed that the lever was hitting the case, I reading this thread I think here tranny has the same problem. Thanks for the info and I will pass it on.

John

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
Yes... If and when that bolt becomes loose, the play on the lev er is extended. It eventually gets to the point of it being able to slap the transmission case, leaving that notch there as you are seeing now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 1320whtrex, I appreciate it a lot. gonna try this as soon as i can! the only thing i don't get is where do i apply silicone gasket to? i didn't think those parts required a gasket?

I had a customer yesterday complaining that here second gear kept poping out, when I looked at the tranny while shifting into second gear I noticed that the lever was hitting the case, I reading this thread I think here tranny has the same problem. Thanks for the info and I will pass it on.

John
Same car you're thinking of john :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks 1320whtrex, I appreciate it a lot. gonna try this as soon as i can! the only thing i don't get is where do i apply silicone gasket to? i didn't think those parts required a gasket?
Apply it to the same place where you will be removing the old silicone..around the mechanism mounting surface :up:

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
Apply it to the same place where you will be removing the old silicone..around the mechanism mounting surface :up:
:up: This. Once you take out the old one, you will see where it needs to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could anyone snap a picture of the bolt you guys are talking about on the transmission?
Do you have to take the cables and shifter mechanism off to tighten it?
My shifter arm is hitting the casing also.

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
Could anyone snap a picture of the bolt you guys are talking about on the transmission?
Do you have to take the cables and shifter mechanism off to tighten it?
My shifter arm is hitting the casing also.
Read .....
Remove the shifter mechanism, tighten bolt #19(12mm bolt), then clean up the surface areas, apply silicone gasket to them and reinstall the mechanism. I am sure that's your problem. It's an easy fix:up:

Yes the shifter mechanism has to come out to fix it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a grinding noise, sounds like loose change, coming from what it seems like the tranny side from about 3k rpm to redline. It sounds like something is lose and I checked all my heat shields and thats not the cause. Any chance a loose bolt from inside the shifter mechanism could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
There is a grinding noise, sounds like loose change, coming from what it seems like the tranny side from about 3k rpm to redline. It sounds like something is lose and I checked all my heat shields and thats not the cause. Any chance a loose bolt from inside the shifter mechanism could be causing this?
No.. There;s only 1 bolt that's on the shifter mechanism that's exposed inside the transmission... If that gets loose enough to make your transmission make noise, say bye bye tranny and your shifter mechanism wont even shift gears. Look into something else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what it is and I have taken it to my mechanic and he does not know either. Any suggestions on what could cause a slight grinding noise coming from the tranny from 3k up? I also noticed a leak and the case covered with fluid on the front and bottom of it. I suspect there may be a leak between the seal on the shifter gasket so that will be changed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts