Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
41 - 60 of 168 Posts

· Rebuilding phase
8,471 Posts
how much different is the height of the crv spindle compared to the stock del sol spindle? Concerned at all by the change in control arm pickup points and angles?

Otherwise great thread, hope things get back on track with your job and whatnot. Economy is tough for everyone =(

· /) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I never bothered to compare the CRV front knuckle with the Del Sol front knuckle. However, I did compare it with the DC2 ITR front knuckle and it was the same. The rear spindle on my Del Sol Si (already discs) is shorter than the ITR spindle. But using a lower profile Mazda Protege axle nut, the rear ITR bearing and hub bolts right on. Didn't want to use CRV rears as they were drums.

And yeah, it is tough. Luckily I bought 95% of everything I needed before I lost my job. Now I'm living off of roommate money and cash jobs.

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, I thought I'd bump this thread and add some notes for myself on what's left to do.

Necessary:
Modify RSX-S axles (swap inners)
Repair cut up ignition switch wiring.
Buy cheap eBay 2.5" piping for Civic HB and have friend or exhaust shop shorten it for Del Sol.
Finish modified Del Sol to S2000 (AP2) cluster harness. This is a need to do as I'm under the impression that the S2000 cluster can convert VSS signal from high to low.
Put S2000 clutch reservoir on Omni S2000 Quicklutch.
Replace brake rubber brake lines with braided lines.
Put piston and seals back onto front brakes and install caliper.
Install radiator support and traction bar.
Double check that all bolts are properly torqued on engine.
Drop engine in.
Lengthen charge harness.
Create new main ground wire from battery to frame.
Modify either the SRS harness or EK cable reel/clock spring because connectors are different.
Install fuel lines and FPR.
Connect engine harness, swap harness and dash harness together.
Hope car starts.

Want to do later:
Replace DC Sports header with K-Tuned 4-2-1 header.
Maybe get a grounding kit.
Remove unnecessary D-series wiring from dash harness.
Repair speaker wiring (cut by previous owner)
Reinstall interior (dash, and other covers)
Well, looks like I won't be using the Yonaka axles for my Del Sol swap. I tried to swap the inners and it wasn't working. Also, the Yonaka axle lengths were 25" (Driver) and 23" (passenger side). I so wish I could pull them apart as swapping the inners would work great. The new driver side would have been close to the OEM swapped inner's driver side. The new passenger side would have been slightly longer than the OEM swapped inner's passenger side which is slightly too short.

I remeasured my old RSX-S axles. Driver side was roughly 24.5" and the passenger was roughly 22 7/8" (22.875"). Swapping the inners gave me a new driver side axle of 24.25" and passenger side of 23 1/8" (23.125").

It's too bad my old RSX-S axles axles look like ass. All corroded and there's a rip in one of my CV boots. I think it might have happened when I was trying to get the bands off. Looks like I made more work for myself again. :(

Unfortunately, I can't swap the inners on these... I guess I'll keep them for my RSX.

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Coming along nice there... Tell me those aren't Canadian tire rotors..:silly:
They are in fact. :D They're ATE PremiumOne's. ATE is also the same company that produces the SuperBlue brake fluid. I had to get TSX ones because they don't make them for the RSX-S (which my calipers are).

If I wanted though, I can always throw on my TSX/CL/TL front calipers on for a perfect fit. Right now, I'm using washers to space the caliper bracket out 1mm or so.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
They are in fact. :D They're ATE PremiumOne's. ATE is also the same company that produces the SuperBlue brake fluid. I had to get TSX ones because they don't make them for the RSX-S (which my calipers are).

If I wanted though, I can always throw on my TSX/CL/TL front calipers on for a perfect fit. Right now, I'm using washers to space the caliper bracket out 1mm or so.
Well .. You are a true Canadian.. And a dare devil as well.. Going with the Crappy Tire, your taking your life in your hand..lol. Please tell me you don't let them do any work on your car.

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
They're not touching my car EVAR! :D But rotors aren't exactly a complex design. I've got faith in them. ATE is a reputable brake company.

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I couldn't tell you cuz I don't remember but every now and then, they'll be on sale at Canadian Tire as you mentioned.

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
ENGINE IS IN!

Damn, too cold to be working outside today but I was bored... According to my iPhone, it's -4*C here (that's 25*F for you Americans). Might as well done it now. It won't get warm until Thursday... Runny nose and headache from the cold now or maybe it's from hitting my head on the engine hoist like 5 times during the process. Might have gone more smoothly with another hand, might not.

I should probably wash that RBC intake manifold before using it. Who knows how much dust that thing has collected...

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks! I just wish my progress was as fast as some others and not as half-assed. I wish I could repaint the bay and all that but being broke sucks. I wish I still had my awesome job.

This is only the 2nd swap I've ever done. First was my RSX-S after blowing the engine. Next time, I'll put a lot more effort into it. :)

· Registered
533 Posts
i love how that coffee mug goes eveywhere wit u lol good build bro!! keep em coming!:up::up:

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
i love how that coffee mug goes eveywhere wit u lol good build bro!! keep em coming!:up::up:
It was easier than putting a watermark on each picture. :) One of my favorite mugs too. That along with a teal one I got for helping get some battleship running. It used some automation software the company I worked for at the time (GE Fanuc) produced.

· Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Nice work bro! Im in for the long haul!! I love Delio's. My homeboy went through like 5 of them stolen, wrecked, sold...lolz All kinds of stories with them and different colors...Boosted a Stock D16 or D15? I don't rem. Anyways Keep up the progress!

Oh yeah and probably this weekend I will get the blown K20 on the stand. You should get yours up too. See which motor is worse,:) lol

2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
My blown K20A2 has been damaged for a few years now. It's been off the stand for a long time now. Cracked cylinder 3 (or 2). Head was repaired and already on my K24A2 in my RSX.

My K20Z3 and my K24A1 are perfectly fine. The K20Z3 still seems pretty clean. The K24A1 seems kinda dirty. I'm guessing a soccer mom who doesn't do regular oil changes owned that last. Plus, it was an automatic (no pilot bushing in crank).

41 - 60 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.