Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's available? Ratios? What do you use? Reliability? Maintenance? Hidden costs? Normal K-series clutches and shifter compatible?
Will be used in an All Motor car. Expecting 310-330hp (fingers crossed). Cost is a major concern but like everything with this hobby you've got to pay to play.

PAR.
PPG.
Frana
Magnus
G Force- did it ever come out?
Albins- all I can find for K-series is syncro sets.
Headway Performance? There's an old FS thread but can't find any other info under a simple Google search

Treat me like I'm 10. This is my first K-Series build and first build since 2004. No junk yard tranny swaps this time around

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price of these things scares the hell out of me but if I knew I had a good chance of it lasting 2 years or more I would feel better about it. If it broke it would put me out for a while or I'd end up with a stock one during down time.

Were you on a stock box with your last setup? If so, how much were you replacing them and what fails in them?

My local track is an 1/8th mile if that makes a difference on my needs. It will seldom see a 1/4 mile run

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
The price of these things scares the hell out of me but if I knew I had a good chance of it lasting 2 years or more I would feel better about it. If it broke it would put me out for a while or I'd end up with a stock one during down time.

Were you on a stock box with your last setup? If so, how much were you replacing them and what fails in them?

My local track is an 1/8th mile if that makes a difference on my needs. It will seldom see a 1/4 mile run
at 330whp it would be pretty reliable imo. yes i had a stock box on my 2.4 and i never broke anything. super single or twin disk clutch is a must.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. After a lot of reading and number crunching I think I'm gonna take a chance with OE to get the project finished sooner. Hopefully it will hold the power and my rusty driving

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm also kind of new on the dog box trans too my buddy is telling me to get ppg 1 and 2 straight cut for my all motor set up I didn't wanna ask him what those straight cut meant lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
straight cut is the design of the gear itself, the teeth are straight longitudinally vs. helical where the teeth are at an angle, in a straight cut its 1 teeth meeting at the same time, whereas helical is more than one teeth due to the angle, for example reverse gear is straightcut, thus producing that whine noise

·
Registered
169 Posts
honestly seeing as how you wanna be in the ~300whp range, you would be okay with ppg helical cut syncro engagement, i talked with tony from t1 race a couple days ago and he said the price has gone up significantly for the straightcut design for kseries, due to a low demand they don't keep the straight cuts on shelf anymore and they are made to order, he said the ppg helical syncro engagement was more popular for a street application and that the strength is pretty much the same

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
get stuck in 3rd or 4th and wouldnt come out?
not at all, actually never had that problem, my shift fork got a little heatedand wouldn't shift into 3rd...didnt get enough oil to the gears...John sent us a new fork, havent had a problem since, have done a couple 1-2-1s though....but alot of K dog boxes have that problem from what I heard, could be wrong....Ive had my dog box for 2 years, gears still look good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts