Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Honda Fans,

I've been looking into doing a bigger brake conversion and weighing the option of also going 5 lug. I'm still debating on what to do so still researching some ideas. I currently have some S2K parts (because I was thinking of doing a RWD conversion on my 2003 Accord - it's being donated now). I also toyed around with an AWD setup for the EJ6. However, I somewhat settled on the FWD for simplicity but haven't fully committed yet. I didn't want to get too involved in modifying the chassis with a RWD conversion of the Accord and with an AWD, though simpler, the added powertrain components and the hybrid involvement wasn't something I wanted to hassle with in regards to sourcing the parts. The rear diff of a CRV isn't really up for the power I'm looking to make either and mating a different diff may require some other fitment issues/customizations that I may not be ready to work on yet (need more welding practice).

Some background to what I am planning:
  • Power = ~400whp - ~500whp is the goal. Basically, as much as I can get on 93 octane. I want nothing to do with race fuel. I want to be completely street-able
  • Power != to traction = so here, I'd like to get ~400whp - 500whp as long as I can have some good traction. I want usable power. I don't care about the numbers, really as long as I can hook and be stable. Realistically, I'll probably have to settle for ~400whp if anything over that just doesn't hook to the road effectively. I'll be running full interior with a sub/radio system. I want to enjoy the car and be able to have my wife and children in the vehicle with me from time to time. I don't want a weekend warrior. I want an all day, reliable but powerful and fun vehicle
  • Engine = I currently have a K24A top and bottom (JDM)...yes the 3 lobe VTEC engine (not in the vehicle yet)
Everything else is in the planning phase and I'm currently looking into these three categories as my first upgrade before adding the engine in:
  • Convert the '00 Civic DX Hatchback from automatic to manual
    • I have a K24A4 transmission case and looking to purchase a K24A2 transmission to swap the entire gear set over to the K24A4 transmission because the K24A2 transmission won't work with EKK2 Hasport mounts. Full transparency here - I DO NOT KNOW if the K24A4 transmission casing works with EKK2 Hasport mounts either. What I do know is that I want the gear ratio's of the CL9 Transmission and the final drive of the K24A4. Yes, all longer gears for my turbo setup (my preference)
    • I have the clutch pedal entire assembly already along with MC and Prop Valve
  • Convert the rear drum brakes to rear disc
  • Convert to bigger brakes (possibly 5 lug conversion too)

Suspension comes after the brake project is met (engine swap is the last part after suspension and brakes are done)

Having said all of that, here is what I have from the S2K:
  • A complete rear AP1 subframe with:
    • S2K brakes
    • Rotors
    • Calipers
    • Knuckles
    • Wheel Hub / Spindle / Bearing
    • Rear Diff
    • Rear Axels
    • Control Arms
    • e-brake cables
    • End links, etc (did I say it was a complete rear? Yep, it is)
  • A complete front AP1 subframe with:
    • Power Steering Rack
    • S2K Brake rotors
    • Calipers
    • Knuckles
    • Wheel Hub / Spindle / Bearing
    • Sway Bar
    • Upper and Lower Control Arms
Now Question(s):

Can I do anything with those parts to:
  1. Do a 5 lug conversion front and rear + S2K bigger brakes front and rear on the EJ6?
  2. Can the steering rack be used for a better steering ratio on the EJ6?
  3. IF I do decide to revisit an AWD setup, would the S2K rear diff be better suited for ~400whp? (I've looked at the Humble Performance AWD rear Conversion as well)
Again, this is for my '00 EJ6 (Civic DX Hatchback). I know a lot of this may be fitment issues. I have my own shop at home with a lift and plenty of tools. I haven't welded in 20 years and never got into it a lot but I'm sure I can pick up a welder and practice to be able to work on smaller fitment projects rather than heavy chassis modifications. I've built a few D, B, and 1 K series engine in the past but it's been almost 10 years (trying to get back into the hobby - kids are a little older now so I have some spare hobby time ;))

I have the option of purchasing a DC2 front subframe to support the EKK2 Hasport Mount setup as a backup (which I will purchase anyway), but I am wondering if what I already have will work. I have found info on the big break setup from an S2K but nothing concrete on a 5 lug conversion from an S2K or its steering rack in the EJ6.

Thanks in advance

Registered
96 civic HX K24a
I will read the rest of this later but I can tell you now that ekk2 mounts are only for k20 transmissions rsx,ep3 or 06-11 civic si. The accord transmission along with the tsx needs ekk4 mounts

Registered
96 civic HX K24a

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will read the rest of this later but I can tell you now that ekk2 mounts are only for k20 transmissions rsx,ep3 or 06-11 civic si. The accord transmission along with the tsx needs ekk4 mounts
Yep, I had a separate thread where it recently got answered, but thanks!

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There鈥檚 something in there I鈥檓 99% about using s2k brakes and how.
Yea, this was the thread I mentioned I read but they only discuss using the brakes/rotors. It didn't contain anything about the 5 lug conversion but instead discussed drilling rotors to fit the 4x100 pattern.

Since I have the entire braking system of the s2k, I figured I could try to do a 5 lug with that. Worse comes to worse, I can spend a day checking fitment if I don't find any details here but I'm still looking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts