Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
909edge said:
Blue-Civic-Hybrid said:
Wow..then I wonder why the NSX and the S2000, both flagship cars of Honda, don't have this "i-VTEC" in their motors? So the "i-VTEC" makes the K-series motor better? Then why did Honda in all their knowledge make the new F22c for the 2.2l S2000 non-i- VTEC?

Kinda makes you wonder huh?

And the K-series is a good motor, but I don't agree with you on that it's a better motor. K-series motors are mass produced versus the F20c, which is on a limited production basis per vehicle. Name another vehicle that uses the F20c or the F22c....none other than an S2000.

Can you name some vehicles that use a K-series motor? I can name a couple..Honda Civic Si, RSX, RSX type-S, TSX......CRV.. :wink:
8)
All sorts of reasons to disagree with this post. NSX was designed so long ago, its not even relevant whether its the flagship or not. F20 was the precursor to the K-series, the motors have a lot of similarities but the K20A is like an evolution of the F20. The i-vtec was not being used yet when the F20 was designed and released.

The F22C is not "new". Its an F20 with a stroker crank, basically. Why didn't they make it I-vtec? I don't know, but I-vtec is certainly "better" in terms of power production. Unfortunately power production is not the only consideration that comes into play when a company makes changes to an existing motor design.

"K-series motors are mass produced versus the F20c, which is on a limited production basis per vehicle." Are you saying the F20/F22 is not produced or assembled in the same way as other Honda engines? Like its hand built or something? I'm not disagreeing with you but I would like to know where you found this out. I wasn't aware that it was made any differently. Just because they are produced in lower numbers doesn't make them any better - the bearings, cranks, rods, blocks, valvetrain etc. are still produced using the same machines/processes as far as I know.
You can go to S2ki.com and find out how the F20c is made. Just look at the sleeves that the F20C uses, and yes the F20C is hand built according to Honda. And why does the Japanese version of the S2000 still use the F20C, not the new F22?

And the new 2004 NSX, why did it not use I-VTEC? They had a chance to put it in, but Honda decided not too. The NSX is hand built also, and as for it being designed so long ago, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm just voicing my opinion that the K-series motor, in my honest opinion, is not better than a F20C motor. I could be wrong, but I am just using my free speech. Stock vs Stock, the F20C is a better motor in my eyes. I might be wrong or I might be biased, but that is what internet boards are all about right? Opinions and views :wink:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I-vtec motors are suprior.

F20 never had an I.

What ever series in the NSX did'nt have an I.

As joe from prototype said, ''F-series engine may not be around for too much longer, nor will the S2000. Too bad, I've been waiting for them to include i-VTEC into the F-series so it'll outperform the K20A. As it stands now the K20A is the better engine.''

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blue-Civic-Hybrid said:
909edge said:
And the new 2004 NSX, why did it not use I-VTEC? They had a chance to put it in, but Honda decided not too. The NSX is hand built also, and as for it being designed so long ago, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm just voicing my opinion that the K-series motor, in my honest opinion, is not better than a F20C motor. I could be wrong, but I am just using my free speech. Stock vs Stock, the F20C is a better motor in my eyes. I might be wrong or I might be biased, but that is what internet boards are all about right? Opinions and views :wink:
They're all good motors.. they're friggin honda motors!
The 04 NSX wont be having I-VTEC because its still the same engine that was in the car since 97.. the C32B.. the C-series motors go way back.. they've been in legends, vigors, etc etc.. and the 90-96 NSX had a C30 in it.. the HSC which was supposed to be the second gen NSX would have ended up with I-VTEC but the HSC project was scrapped. and about that if it aint broke, dont fix it line.. the NSX is a very low selling car, its not so much if it aint broke.. its more along the lines of "is it actually worth putting in all this R&D money into a car that is going to sell maybe 200 units max a year?" the NSX has been ran into the ground.. but its ran into the ground beautifully.. its still the car I would prefer outa anything else out here, but by no means is the NSX supposed to have the newest technologies..

I-VTEC is the future and is superior to non-I-VTEC motors.. the S2000s F20C and F22 dont need to be I-VTEC because they were baisically a test motor for the K series. my opinion is that honda needed to test out the K series motor along with their RWD trannies... ergo the S2000 came to be.. I know there are other reason's for the S2000's existance.. but honda needed to test some of their new drivetrains in the real world and the S2000 wasnt going to be bought by everyone.. so they ran the S2000 with a modified K motor.. I've taken apart a F20C and it is nothing like the F20B or the other F series motors.. you can tell that honda was trying something new with the F20C and its a great motor.. its highly tuned from the factory as it is.. and it does exactly what honda wanted it to do right out the box.. just like the NSX's C32B..

anyways.. point of the whole story is.. dont dog out any different engines.. they're all good.. the K's have I-VTEC.. and for a tuner.. the VTC is awesome.. but you can give any similar motor the displacement and cr that a K has from the factory and it'll be a badass motor as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
beast

now i've looked at both engines but still love the s2000 so ill b still go n with that conversion, ill be use my current box and make an adaptor plate ,but i've got 1 problem cant find r place to bolt r custom engine mount, so ill need pics of any drag or street cars with s2k in them (fwd)
this will allow me to continue if i see where the have mounted it.
in australia the k20a on has 147kw whereas the f20c has 176kw thats y i choose it

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Re: beast

ralyrt said:
now i've looked at both engines but still love the s2000 so ill b still go n with that conversion, ill be use my current box and make an adaptor plate ,but i've got 1 problem cant find r place to bolt r custom engine mount, so ill need pics of any drag or street cars with s2k in them (fwd)
this will allow me to continue if i see where the have mounted it.
in australia the k20a on has 147kw whereas the f20c has 176kw thats y i choose it
K-series is better than the F-series.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to know the guy put that S2k motor and tranny in that Civic. That just looks awesome!!!

Just the fab work alone would probably kill me!!! :eek:

[/img]

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Blue-Civic-Hybrid said:
I would like to know the guy put that S2k motor and tranny in that Civic. That just looks awesome!!!

Just the fab work alone would probably kill me!!! :eek:

[/img]
I figured, Front engine Rear Wheel Drive is retarded.

Mid-Engine is what you would want.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive seen that car in person b4, look alright, but i heard it runs like a bag of sh!t. i think it ran a low 15 or high 14. i dont think that motor was properly installed, not to mention the rear axle. Mid-engine is the way to go 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Re: s2k fwd can it be done-updated -its done

its been 1 yr
i ve have successful combined k20a gearbox and f20c motor
alot of custom work and money but finally did it
engine will be ready to going in the mr2 spyder pcs will be up shortly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: s2k fwd can it be done-updated -its done

ralyrt said:
its been 1 yr
i ve have successful combined k20a gearbox and f20c motor
alot of custom work and money but finally did it
engine will be ready to going in the mr2 spyder pcs will be up shortly
Let's hear the details! Did it bolt up? If not, what bellhousing did you use?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i think some people are over looking some of the benefits of the s2k motor. they are cheap which has already been mentioned, but also the rod bearings are wider. the cylinder head as i ve read from a few head porters is still superior to the k series, although thats hard to believe but apparently honda did some funky stuff on the exhaust side. Ivtec while it is an improvement for daily driving purposes and economy, but not a necessity for an all out performance engine. i understand that IPS's big cams will still utilize VTC but crower obviously didn t find the need for it. Plus the wiring and ecu options are probably the biggest issue in my book,i was curious as to what kinda of management could be used and if there is an imobilizer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
HA! after reading all of the posts leading up to this, i didnt notice it was that long ago.. all i have to say is dope shit man!!!..

FUK ALL THE HATERS.. cant wait to see pictures :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
civdx94 said:
i think some people are over looking some of the benefits of the s2k motor. they are cheap which has already been mentioned, but also the rod bearings are wider. the cylinder head as i ve read from a few head porters is still superior to the k series, although thats hard to believe but apparently honda did some funky stuff on the exhaust side. Ivtec while it is an improvement for daily driving purposes and economy, but not a necessity for an all out performance engine. i understand that IPS's big cams will still utilize VTC but crower obviously didn t find the need for it. Plus the wiring and ecu options are probably the biggest issue in my book,i was curious as to what kinda of management could be used and if there is an imobilizer.
without the VTC, correct me if i am wrong, you will be able to use any conventional EMS...Autoronic/AEM/DFI b/c you do not have to worry about the VTC with the F20C...

·
Registered
599 Posts

You guys may or may not find this amusing, The picture above is actually photshopped to look like an F20C motor is attached to a RSX transmission. If you look closely at the floor in the picture under the transmission and under the engine you will see the exact same pattern in the stains.

Funny huh?

brian g

·
Registered
23 Posts
brian g said:

You guys may or may not find this amusing, The picture above is actually photshopped to look like an F20C motor is attached to a RSX transmission. If you look closely at the floor in the picture under the transmission and under the engine you will see the exact same pattern in the stains.

Funny huh?

brian g
that photos been floating around for quite a while. it is a photoshop job. the company (i forget the name off-hand)was working on a new bellhousing casting to make everything work and swap into an elise. i'm not sure if it ever got finished or not, as i think the project slowed when the k20 started working so well across the pond, and the car got released in the states with the toyota lump.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.