Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
So does any Honda tranny besides the F-series bolt up to the F-series motors?

Is this just a pipe dream?

·
Registered
599 Posts
C-Zero said:
Care to elaborate for some of the k20a members who have chosen to use the S2000's f20/f22?
If you want to bolt an F22 to a Kseries transmission, you would need an adapter plate or a conversion bell housing.

Blue-Civic-Hybrid said:
So does any Honda tranny besides the F-series bolt up to the F-series motors?

Is this just a pipe dream?
With enough money, anything can be done. But to answer your question, only S2000 motors bolt to unmodified S2000 transmissions.

brian g

·
Registered
3 Posts
nikos said:
A FWD tranny has been mated with a S2000 block... but I guess the thought was for a FWD car...

Noone in their right mind would want to convert a RWD car to FWD... That is as piointless as doing a manual to auto tranny swap on a 92 Civic CX :p
holy shit :shock: thats interesting, I'd like to see it done, dont a few of the pro fwd guys run f20's? granted thats a little different then a street car with a stock crossmember and engine bay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO s2k motor would be cool in a any car that was FWD but using the s2k drivetrain and tranny and make a FWD car RWD. I think that would be really cool to see a RWD EG running around.

·
Registered
565 Posts
one of our top local rally guys used to run an EF crx with a s2000 motor in it he was running an MG metro 5 spd on it. He wrote the car off after a couple of season and then put the transplant into a DEL-SOL. since then I beleive he has sold it and done a K20A-R into a honda Jazz/Fit..

Anything is possible if you have the time..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem with the RWD civic idea is the way the shift linkage sits and the how the tranny mounts up. It pushes the shifter like 6 inches back from where it sits stock. Thats what I have heard.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
dacaveman said:
Problem with the RWD civic idea is the way the shift linkage sits and the how the tranny mounts up. It pushes the shifter like 6 inches back from where it sits stock. Thats what I have heard.
That depend's on engine placement.

If B-series can be rwd, so can a K!

·
Registered
50 Posts
And did you see the amount of work and fabrication and money poured into that RWD Integra, which really is supposed to be 4wd or AWD?

Anything can be done as long as you have the money...

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
22crazy said:
what transmission did they use to connect the back to the front?
CR-V componets.
------------------------------------

You know now that I think about it the S2000's motor does'nt have VTEC with intelligence (i-VTEC). Thats why the K-series is better.

As for the S2000's tranny I will need a special casting to mate it to the k24.

This picture above with a S2000 with FWD transmission is for a lotus engine swap, prototype made the bell housing casting and are now selling it, the stock bell housing on a stock k tranny would'nt bolt up.

The K can't bolt up to the S2K's RWD tranny another bellhousing would need to be fabricated. If someone made that I would do a RWD conversion on my civic, I'm currently researching the idea, now to find a service to make a casting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
""You know now that I think about it the S2000's motor does'nt have VTEC with intelligence (i-VTEC). Thats why the K-series is better.""

Quote from C-Zero

Wow..then I wonder why the NSX and the S2000, both flagship cars of Honda, don't have this "i-VTEC" in their motors? So the "i-VTEC" makes the K-series motor better? Then why did Honda in all their knowledge make the new F22c for the 2.2l S2000 non-i- VTEC?

Kinda makes you wonder huh?

And the K-series is a good motor, but I don't agree with you on that it's a better motor. K-series motors are mass produced versus the F20c, which is on a limited production basis per vehicle. Name another vehicle that uses the F20c or the F22c....none other than an S2000.

Can you name some vehicles that use a K-series motor? I can name a couple..Honda Civic Si, RSX, RSX type-S, TSX......CRV.. :wink:
8)

·
Banned
320 Posts
Blue-Civic-Hybrid said:
Wow..then I wonder why the NSX and the S2000, both flagship cars of Honda, don't have this "i-VTEC" in their motors? So the "i-VTEC" makes the K-series motor better? Then why did Honda in all their knowledge make the new F22c for the 2.2l S2000 non-i- VTEC?

Kinda makes you wonder huh?

And the K-series is a good motor, but I don't agree with you on that it's a better motor. K-series motors are mass produced versus the F20c, which is on a limited production basis per vehicle. Name another vehicle that uses the F20c or the F22c....none other than an S2000.

Can you name some vehicles that use a K-series motor? I can name a couple..Honda Civic Si, RSX, RSX type-S, TSX......CRV.. :wink:
8)
All sorts of reasons to disagree with this post. NSX was designed so long ago, its not even relevant whether its the flagship or not. F20 was the precursor to the K-series, the motors have a lot of similarities but the K20A is like an evolution of the F20. The i-vtec was not being used yet when the F20 was designed and released.

The F22C is not "new". Its an F20 with a stroker crank, basically. Why didn't they make it I-vtec? I don't know, but I-vtec is certainly "better" in terms of power production. Unfortunately power production is not the only consideration that comes into play when a company makes changes to an existing motor design.

"K-series motors are mass produced versus the F20c, which is on a limited production basis per vehicle." Are you saying the F20/F22 is not produced or assembled in the same way as other Honda engines? Like its hand built or something? I'm not disagreeing with you but I would like to know where you found this out. I wasn't aware that it was made any differently. Just because they are produced in lower numbers doesn't make them any better - the bearings, cranks, rods, blocks, valvetrain etc. are still produced using the same machines/processes as far as I know.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.