Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got my dimple dies in the mail finally. Had already got the brackets hole-sawed in anticipation, so it was as easy as throwing them in the press and finishing them up. Not really sure how I justified $200 worth of dies for the sake of seven holes, but I did, and I couldn't be happier about it! Just an excuse to make more holes, I suppose.

Dimple Dies by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Made up a new (much tidier and nicer) oil cooler bracket.

Oil Cooler by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Oil Cooler by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Got rid of some excess material in my rad brackets and made 'em stronger in the process.

Rad Brackets by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

The funniest part about it all, is that half this stuff is completely hidden unless my front bumper is off. Regardless, I like things to look pretty!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pulled my engine yesterday.

Empty Bay by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Stuck this lump on a skid before yanking the transmission and putting the block on a stand again.

Engine Skid by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

So... Previously when I'd test fit my alternator, I had to do so without a pulley because the friggin' relocate bracket moved the thing in to my core support.

Alternator Notch by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Alternator Clearance by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Cue the die grinder... Snip snip.

To tidy 'er up and provide a safe space for dealing with my alternator in the future.

Edging by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Clean as can be.

I still get incredibly anxious cutting up my car. It is what it is, though - pleased with the outcome.

Started taping my bay for paint after that, but I only got half way done before I had to get the hell outta there. More progress to come tomorrow. Maybe even a painted bay!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
To tidy 'er up and provide a safe space for dealing with my alternator in the future.
Good luck with the KTuned ACPS delete kit, the latest engineering technology, where the use a 12.5 grade bolt for an alu blind hole thread. The grade is overrated, which means it never can torqued as it should be (alu blind hole thread + 12.5 grade bolt = BS!) and it is too brittle and possible can brake.

There are some threads about real issues with the KTuned ACPS delete kit, my warning isn't just theoretical bla bla, e.g. here: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94170, you also find there a nice solution of kb58 I would recommend.

Markus

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Very clean man nice job!
Thanks, dude!

Good luck with the KTuned ACPS delete kit, the latest engineering technology, where the use a 12.5 grade bolt for an alu blind hole thread. The grade is overrated, which means it never can torqued as it should be (alu blind hole thread + 12.5 grade bolt = BS!) and it is too brittle and possible can brake.

There are some threads about real issues with the KTuned ACPS delete kit, my warning isn't just theoretical bla bla, e.g. here: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94170, you also find there a nice solution of kb58 I would recommend.

Markus
Thanks, Markus - well aware of the previous issues with all these relocate kits. I purchased the kit last year before any research in to the failures, so I'm just doing my due diligence now.

I'm already using an OEM fastener in the top location per their recommendation, so I suppose I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best in this case.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Productive weekend, albeit a little bit loose.

Got my bay all finished along with the core support and rebar. A stark contrast to the splotchy mess of colour it was before.

Chassis Paint by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Needed to get rid of all the length and barbs hanging off the OEM heater core line. A friend suggested turning down a steel 12AN union on one end so it slipped in to the cut line, and then zapping it on. Had a friend spin the fitting on the lathe, and then Vihn burned it on for me. Worked out beautifully!

12AN Heater Core by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Tolerances are tight with the manifold, but I test fit a female fitting and we're all good.

12AN Heater Core by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Finally put my new waterpump and hardware on.

Water Pump by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Used the K-Tuned option to delete the factory 'oil cooler'.

K-Tuned Delete by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Factory plug, and oil filter adapter from a K20A2 which don't have the provisions for the factory diaphragm.

OEM Fittings for Delete by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Empty holes...

Oil Cooler Delete by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Full holes...

Delete Plug by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Filter Adapter by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

This allows me to run my Greddy oil filter housing for an external cooler.

Greddy Filter Housing by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Swapped the sensors and outlets around so that the lines will be more straight forward. I'll be pyro-sleeving the sensors, wires, and lines to protect them from the exhaust manifold heat.

Oil Cooler Housing by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
In the past couple days I've compiled a full list of engine hardware that I want to replace. As I've started cleaning the engine up, all the old oxidized hardware has really been bugging me. I know there are options like Downstar which provide complete engine kits that use socket head cap screws rather than the flanged OEM hardware, but I really didn't care to have that 'bling' factor, or risk looking tacky - I just wanted it to look OEM and new again.

Thankfully Shane at Toronto Honda is my saving grace and puts up with all my worthless requests! I'll post more photos of the complete engine when it's dressed pretty and I'm not so embarrassed by it anymore.

Cleaned up around the shop last night and got this stuff all blasted for powdercoating. Engine mount bracket, VTEC Solenoid heat shield, and my coolant pipe. It'll all be going gloss black like my other brackets.

Blasted **** by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Also blasted my crank pulley and shot it gloss black with Duplicolor's 'Fleet Coating'. It's a high build enamel, so it filled in real well.

What's hilarious is that maybe only 50% of this crap is visible once the engine is in the bay and dressed, but because I've got it sitting on a stand right now I'm scrutinizing every little piece. Regardless, it helps me sleep at night!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
...all the old oxidized hardware has really been bugging me...provide complete...kits...I just wanted it to look OEM and new again...Regardless, it helps me sleep at night!
It's a good way to keep worries low. Same with the Lotus chassis, there are kit's available from OEM style up to Track specific ones, but the sleep well better take the what you have and refresh with a long term anticorrosive, it if enough material is there :up:

Markus

41 - 60 of 244 Posts