Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just put my motor back together with my upgraded parts (IPS K2's, supertech springs and retainers, Ferrera valves, CC stg 2 clutch etc. )..made sure everything was put together properly and to spec....put the motor back in the car and cranked it...NO LEAKS, so thats great, but wen i plug it into my k-pro after loading the IPS basemap, i get an a/f between 25 and 33 :eek: and a rough idle (which i guess is expected with cams)

here's some issues i ran into along the road, my brother lost the 2 bolts that connect my test pipe to my header, and my friend pulled out the plug for the o2 sensor exposing the little cables...

now, at first, we thought it was an exhaust leak because we just used regular bolts with no springs and tighted the shyt out of them to make sure there was no leak, but it only brought it down from 33 to about 25 ish....
so now im guessing that my friend plugged in the small tabs that go into the o2 sensor plug in the wrong sequence, but he swears he put them in properly...
and im pretty sure that if the car's a/f was ACTUALLY that high, it wouldnt even crank or it would pop...so thats what leads me to believe its the o2 sensor, but again, he swears he put it back properly..
so now im stuck, i dont know whats wrong with it, scared as balls to drive it with it being so lean, ANY SUGGESTIONS??? :confused:

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts
Re: Help !!!!!!!!!

ok so i just put my motor back together with my upgraded parts (IPS K2's, supertech springs and retainers, Ferrera valves, CC stg 2 clutch etc. )..made sure everything was put together properly and to spec....put the motor back in the car and cranked it...NO LEAKS, so thats great, but wen i plug it into my k-pro after loading the IPS basemap, i get an a/f between 25 and 33 :eek: and a rough idle (which i guess is expected with cams)

here's some issues i ran into along the road, my brother lost the 2 bolts that connect my test pipe to my header, and my friend pulled out the plug for the o2 sensor exposing the little cables...

now, at first, we thought it was an exhaust leak because we just used regular bolts with no springs and tighted the shyt out of them to make sure there was no leak, but it only brought it down from 33 to about 25 ish....
so now im guessing that my friend plugged in the small tabs that go into the o2 sensor plug in the wrong sequence, but he swears he put them in properly...
and im pretty sure that if the car's a/f was ACTUALLY that high, it wouldnt even crank or it would pop...so thats what leads me to believe its the o2 sensor, but again, he swears he put it back properly..
so now im stuck, i dont know whats wrong with it, scared as balls to drive it with it being so lean, ANY SUGGESTIONS??? :confused:

thanks in advance
I am renaming your thread so that others may look at it and be inclined to answer.
First, what motor is it, and what size are the injectors, what is your Fuel Pressure?
Second, what is the injector size in K-pro? I know the IPS basemap is 310cc by default, make sure it matches your injector size.
Third, are all four injectors working properly? Check your plugs for consistency. Look for dark sooted, or white tips.
Fourth, ensure all injector clips and wiring are secure. You should be able to get consistent power readings from all injectors (can't remember if it was 5volt or not:silly:)
Fifth, check your grounds.

If you can post a datalog that always helps, as well as pics of your swap. Never know what another member may see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I am renaming your thread so that others may look at it and be inclined to answer.
First, what motor is it, and what size are the injectors, what is your Fuel Pressure?
Second, what is the injector size in K-pro? I know the IPS basemap is 310cc by default, make sure it matches your injector size.
Third, are all four injectors working properly? Check your plugs for consistency. Look for dark sooted, or white tips.
Fourth, ensure all injector clips and wiring are secure. You should be able to get consistent power readings from all injectors (can't remember if it was 5volt or not:silly:)
Fifth, check your grounds.

If you can post a datalog that always helps, as well as pics of your swap. Never know what another member may see.
thanks for the title change
its a k20a2
injectors are 440cc
changed them in kpro
they should be working properly cuz they were b4 i dropped the motor to do the head, and never touched the injectors or rail..
my guess would be the o2 sensor is wired wrong or not working
theres a window on the kmanager (not sure what its called) that to the left of the a/f window that shows the percentage that the o2 sensor has to compensate for the a/f...a/f window read about 28 and was RED, and the window im referring to read -14% and was GREEN...which i was told, that if the a/f is that high, it would read a positive percentage not negative...i may be wrong, but thats what i was told

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts
its a k20a2
injectors are 440cc
changed them in kpro
they should be working properly cuz they were b4 i dropped the motor to do the head, and never touched the injectors or rail..
theres a window on the kmanager (not sure what its called) that to the left of the a/f window that shows the percentage that the o2 sensor has to compensate for the a/f...a/f window read about 28 and was RED, and the window im referring to read -14% and was GREEN...which i was told, that if the a/f is that high, it would read a positive percentage not negative...i may be wrong, but thats what i was told
I think the o2 is fine. All of the failures I have seen are generally heater malfunction, and the o2 deadlines, showing a steady reading of 14 or something.
Did you remember to put the gasket on between the head and the header?
:headslap:
:up:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the o2 is fine. All of the failures I have seen are generally heater malfunction, and the o2 deadlines, showing a steady reading of 14 or something.

:headslap:
:up:
but if the a/f is at 28 would it be positive 14 and not negative?

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts
but if the a/f is at 28 would it be positive 14 and not negative?
28 means that the mixture leaving the combustion chamber is 28 parts air, and 1 part fuel by volume. 28:1
Ideal for an all motor setup is about 13.5:1 for most locations.
You will not see a negative number.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
28 means that the mixture leaving the combustion chamber is 28 parts air, and 1 part fuel by volume. 28:1
Ideal for an all motor setup is about 13.5:1 for most locations.
You will not see a negative number.
right, but im not reffereing that a/f window..theres a window right next to it that shows a percentage that the o2 sensor has to compensate for the a/f (i believe) i was told that the number should be a positive number since it has to compensate for ~14% of the a/f...but on the kpro, it read -14%
i believe its called the "short trim"
again, i may be wrong

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts

its a k20a2
injectors are 440cc
changed them in kpro
Did that entail upgrading the cams and loading the IPS.cal?
What is your FPR set to?
How do your plugs look?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Did that entail upgrading the cams and loading the IPS.cal?
What is your FPR set to?
How do your plugs look?
cams were upgraded and loaded the IPS cal
plugs look fine, they we're checked b4 the head was taken to the machine shop and were only in the car for >3000 miles
dont know where the FPR is set at, gotta make sure to check that

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts

cams were upgraded and loaded the IPS cal
plugs look fine, they we're checked b4 the head was taken to the machine shop and were only in the car for >3000 miles
dont know where the FPR is set at, gotta make sure to check that
You have to change the injector size again in K-pro after loading that cal. Then save it, and reload it.
Double check the plugs now, it will tell you if the motor is really running lean or not.
FPR should be set between 50 and 55 psi.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You have to change the injector size again in K-pro after loading that cal. Then save it, and reload it.
Double check the plugs now, it will tell you if the motor is really running lean or not.
FPR should be set between 50 and 55 psi.
i made sure to change the injector size from the cal...cant really check the plugs now because im at work...but i asked my brother to run a datalog and send it to me at work, i'll make sure i post it as soon as i get it, hopefully it'll be some help

·
Registered
48 Posts

i made sure to change the injector size from the cal...cant really check the plugs now because im at work...but i asked my brother to run a datalog and send it to me at work, i'll make sure i post it as soon as i get it, hopefully it'll be some help
datalog attached as zip file (someone let me know if i uploaded it correctly)

plugs look pretty darn crispy. dont look lean at all

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
lol.

so you never did a pull in any gear? i'm looking at the datalog right now. so i assume you just let it chill at idle and just recorded it.

its wierd. your a/f seems to be at 10.7 around 1770 rpms then after that i see spikes up to 25 and as high as 32 lol.

what's the low load on the lambda overlay set to?

·
Registered
48 Posts
lol.

so you never did a pull in any gear? i'm looking at the datalog right now. so i assume you just let it chill at idle and just recorded it.

its wierd. your a/f seems to be at 10.7 around 1770 rpms then after that i see spikes up to 25 and as high as 32 lol.

why would i drive it around with it reading so lean?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol.

never did a pull on it..just let it sit there..lol..yeah those numbers are crazy huh...
honestly, i dont know the low load...newb remember

·
Registered
373 Posts
why would i drive it around with it reading so lean?
never did a pull on it..just let it sit there..lol..yeah those numbers are crazy huh...
honestly, i dont know the low load...newb remember
so i assume you're not using the lambda overlay.

so you haven't even stepped on it once? as long as the cam angles are correct so that no piston to valve contact occurs, you should be ok to do at least one pull.

do at least one pull to see what your a/f is at while at full throttle. if you're running closed loop on, your a/f should self adjust to whatever was set on the low load on the lambda overlay.

in other words, at part throttle the a/f is self adjusted if you have closed loop on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i assume you're not using the lambda overlay.

so you haven't even stepped on it once? as long as the cam angles are correct so that no piston to valve contact occurs, you should be ok to do at least one pull.

do at least one pull to see what your a/f is at while at full throttle. if you're running closed loop on, your a/f should self adjust to whatever was set on the low load on the lambda overlay.

in other words, at part throttle the a/f is self adjusted if you have closed loop on.
well we opened the throttle a bit but in neutral, didnt affect the a/f much..i also dont wanna rev it out cuz i got a new clutch in there :silly:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts