Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been reading about this swap, and if Im correct the RSX Type S pushes 180whp and i've also learned that you would need custom axles, motor mounts, custom a/c, p/s lines, and custom exhaust cause the Civic ex exhaust wont work, so if it worth getting the RSX type S swap or just goin back the the B18c swap?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Post subject: RSX Type S swap for the 96-00 Civic EX
Alright, I've been reading about this swap, and if Im correct the RSX Type S pushes 180whp and i've also learned that you would need custom axles, motor mounts, custom a/c, p/s lines, and custom exhaust cause the Civic ex exhaust wont work, so if it worth getting the RSX type S swap or just goin back the the B18c swap?
For the most part you're correct, except for the exhaust. But you will need a custom header for the swap, because the stock RSX header won't bolt to the stock exhaust.

If the major determining factor is money, then the B18C swap is for you. The people who choose the K20A swap are doing it for an number of reasons, the six speed tranny, a more powerful base engine from which to modify just to be different or have the latest and greatest. There's no doubt that the K20 is a superior engine, but the B18C still makes plenty of HP.

brian g

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brian g said:
Post subject: RSX Type S swap for the 96-00 Civic EX
For the most part you're correct, except for the exhaust. But you will need a custom header for the swap, because the stock RSX header won't bolt to the stock exhaust.

If the major determining factor is money, then the B18C swap is for you. The people who choose the K20A swap are doing it for an number of reasons, the six speed tranny, a more powerful base engine from which to modify just to be different or have the latest and greatest. There's no doubt that the K20 is a superior engine, but the B18C still makes plenty of HP.

brian g
Yeah but that 6spd would be pretty cool to have for the GSR swap, but with the K20 swap im lookin to spend almost 6 for the swap cause of the header I have to buy mounts, and axles. I just added up the cost for the needed parts, it would cost about $1635.00, and I dont know how much the Type S swap is, i've heard it ranges from 3300.00 to 6500.00 max. are those prices correct?

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
You can find a type-s for $3300+ If you are really interested, start looking on ebay for wrecked RSX Type-s

Someone I know from an online forum, got one off ebay fro $5000. THAT WAS THE WHOLE CAR!!!! (type-s)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nikos said:
You can find a type-s for $3300+ If you are really interested, start looking on ebay for wrecked RSX Type-s

Someone I know from an online forum, got one off ebay fro $5000. THAT WAS THE WHOLE CAR!!!! (type-s)
Alright, I'll check into that, but whats the hp gain for Intake and Exhaust on the Type S, I hear its like 10-12hp for the Intake and no to sure on exhaust.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
There are different kinds of mods...

The ecu program / flash is very important as well as the header in my opinion.

You can get decent power out of a stock motor. With toda cams you are looking at more power but before you go into this, try to set goals and do your research. Remember that a ek k20a type-s if set up right would be one fun car to drive... The potential is there and noone says otherwise.

At this point of development, the aftermarket parts are a little bit high in my opinion. So be careful what you choose. Try to see dyno graphs from people that used their products rather than the manufacturer... There are so many factors that affect the result.

So first of all, set a goal, how much $$$ you are looking to spent and how much whp would make you happy.

The k20a will be able to do 300WHP all motor by the end of the summer with different combos. Of course that would cost you.

Best bang for the $$$ would be a intake, exhaust, header and a ecu flash.. Of course right there you are looking for a lot of money if you go all out and get the "best" of each one. What is the "best" though?

There are individuals that can flash ECUS as well but they do not have the means of hondata for advertising.

Thanks for being here,

Nikos

PS If you cannot find a type-s for less than $4900, why not get the k20a JDM? 6 speed LSD tranny, extra horsepower, higher compression, no need for the immobilizer thing...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nikos said:
There are different kinds of mods...

The ecu program / flash is very important as well as the header in my opinion.

You can get decent power out of a stock motor. With toda cams you are looking at more power but before you go into this, try to set goals and do your research. Remember that a ek k20a type-s if set up right would be one fun car to drive... The potential is there and noone says otherwise.

At this point of development, the aftermarket parts are a little bit high in my opinion. So be careful what you choose. Try to see dyno graphs from people that used their products rather than the manufacturer... There are so many factors that affect the result.

So first of all, set a goal, how much $$$ you are looking to spent and how much whp would make you happy.

The k20a will be able to do 300WHP all motor by the end of the summer with different combos. Of course that would cost you.

Best bang for the $$$ would be a intake, exhaust, header and a ecu flash.. Of course right there you are looking for a lot of money if you go all out and get the "best" of each one. What is the "best" though?

There are individuals that can flash ECUS as well but they do not have the means of hondata for advertising.

Thanks for being here,

Nikos

PS If you cannot find a type-s for less than $4900, why not get the k20a JDM? 6 speed LSD tranny, extra horsepower, higher compression, no need for the immobilizer thing...
Well my think is Im a really big fan of Forced Induction, I also seen articles on the Type S hittin like 275whp at 6.5psi with turbo, and I hear Type R motors arent that good for Turboing, but the Type R swaps are too high priced for me, but I know the USDM Type S comes 200bhp and 180whp with a 6spd tranny with LSD...but whats a good place besides Ebay to get the swap for a good CHEAP price?

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Look at your local junk yards www.car-parts.com

You just need to look around... Every day RSX type-s get wrecked...

The price is not stable at all.

I have not seen a EK/EG k20a with a turbo yet... I am sure it is just a matter of time. Personally I would be a happy with 250WHP all motor :p

·
Registered
599 Posts
nikos said:
I have not seen a EK/EG k20a with a turbo yet... I am sure it is just a matter of time. Personally I would be a happy with 250WHP all motor :p
Haven't seen a EK with a turbo?

I'll post a better picture tonight.

brian g

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Wow!!!

There is much space there for a big turbo :)

I am curious to what HP numbers a k20a turbo civic would yield

Thank you posting that pic, Bryan

·
Registered
599 Posts
nikos said:
Wow!!!

I am curious to what HP numbers a k20a turbo civic would yield
This particular setup is pumping out about 450 hp. The Turbo is maxed out at 22lbs of boost. A bigger exhaust would yeild some more hp.

brian g

·
Registered
10 Posts
nikos said:

That was me 8) . See, it has 9800 miles on it, full interior, no blown airbags, full suspension and it came with an AEM CAI, an exhaust and some sound system equipment. All mint! Lord knows I'm happy and enthusiastic. I'd definately recommend eBay for finding the swaps for cheap, just make sure you call the company selling it (them) and talk em down before paying :p .

That's what I did, anyhow :twisted: .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Archidictus said:
nikos said:

That was me 8) . See, it has 9800 miles on it, full interior, no blown airbags, full suspension and it came with an AEM CAI, an exhaust and some sound system equipment. All mint! Lord knows I'm happy and enthusiastic. I'd definately recommend eBay for finding the swaps for cheap, just make sure you call the company selling it (them) and talk em down before paying :p .

Hey man Congrads on the lucky break, I wish I could get one like that lol, but at first I was gonna do the k20a2 swap, and still might..but my pops was talking me into gettin a 02 RSX type S and since he liked the Celica GTS I had he thought about how much the RSX would look like the GTS Celica with the Type R sides, the Type R wing, and the Greddy front lip. so now Im confused.. either get the Civic ek coupe with a 2400lbs body with a k20 or go RSX :? :cry:

·
Registered
24 Posts
EKHondaCivic said:
Archidictus said:
nikos said:

Hey man Congrads on the lucky break, I wish I could get one like that lol, but at first I was gonna do the k20a2 swap, and still might..but my pops was talking me into gettin a 02 RSX type S and since he liked the Celica GTS I had he thought about how much the RSX would look like the GTS Celica with the Type R sides, the Type R wing, and the Greddy front lip. so now Im confused.. either get the Civic ek coupe with a 2400lbs body with a k20 or go RSX :? :cry:

You will be way more satisfied with a EK K20 swap than a stock RSX Type S. The type S is slow, test drives prove that. lighter car=more whp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts