Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

RSX base axles works for EG!!!

272K views 520 replies 178 participants last post by  katman 
#1 ·
Yes it works. Yes I am using them right now.

#6 ·
Re: RXS base axles works for EG!!!

gdrum said:
I was told they will work, but have tendency to be to short and can fall out. Any insite to this? Maybe depending on the height of your car will change this?
actually no they are not too short because custom eg k seriers axles are just rsx axles with b series outers. the base rsx alxe's spines just fit into eg hub. i recommend using oem parts when ever possible.
ek's wont be able to use base rsx axles without modification.

#8 ·

Wow, that's some good info! I just picked up a set of RSX base axles to use the inners to replace my sloppy DSS axle inners. I will take some comparison pics of the two axle assemblies sometime this weekend to share and hopefully confirm this statement. RSX base axles go for $50 a piece at my local junk yard.

#9 ·

Soda Popinski said:
O shit! So its just a striaght swap? Like no switcing? Since im guessing the base RSX shafts are 32mm not 36?
32mm. the type s is 36mm like the 98spec itr 5 lug :D .

#11 ·

98specR said:
actually no they are not too short because custom eg k seriers axles are just rsx axles with b series outers. the base rsx alxe's spines just fit into eg hub. i recommend using oem parts when ever possible.
ek's wont be able to use base rsx axles without modification.
Did you use this on your swap and have been hiding it from us? You kidder you.

#12 ·

SmellyEG said:
Did you use this on your swap and have been hiding it from us? You kidder you.
there was a thread where a couple of us talked about it awhile back but it got lost under the more important questions, like where to put the temp sensor :D :up: .

#14 ·
#19 ·

I just took out my driver's side DSS axle to compare with the RSX base driver's side axle and the RSX axle is longer by about .5-.75". I have had some slight issues with the DSS driver's side axle popping out, but still, I don't know about adding another .5-.75" of length on there without binding issues when turning. I won't be able to get to the passenger side until tomorrow, but looking at the RSX base axles, it looks like the shaft of the passenger side might be the same length as the DSS driver's side... This could mean that swapping the inners on the RSX base axles might work. I'll know more when I get both axles out and take the boots off tomorrow...

#21 ·

Check this out:

I measured both my DSS axles purchased from Hasport for an EG/DC2 and RSX Base axles all in their completely compressed form. I took very careful measurements of all of this as shown below (Note: dimensions on pics might not represent actual, as the camera angle was not always vertical; however, I have noted the actual dimension above each pic).

DSS Driver Side Axle Completely Compressed = 23-13/16" (23.8125")

RSX Base Driver Side Axle Completely Compressed = 24-1/4" (24.25")

Result: RSX Base Driver Side is 7/16" (.4375") longer

DSS Passenger Side Axle Completely Compressed = 23-1/16" (23.0625")

RSX Base Passenger Side Axle Completely Compressed = 22-9/16" (22.5625")

Result: RSX Base Passenger Side is 1/2" (.5") shorter

Conclusion: RSX Base axles can be used, but I believe that the inners should be swapped between the Driver and Passenger Side. The end result should give a Driver Side Axle that is 23-7/8" long (1/16" longer than the DSS Driver Side Axle) and a Passenger Side Axle that is 23" long (1/16" shorter than the DSS Passenger Side Axle). This seems to be somewhat good news for me, as my Driver Side DSS Axle pulled out a few times and the extra 1/16" in length may help prevent this. The pulling out could also be due to improper shaft tolerances on the DSS Axle as well. Since I have had no issues with the Passenger Side, I don't suspect the 1/16" decrease in length will do much. My personal opinion is that this is the way to go! It won't be a completely straight swap, but the axles are cheap, they are OEM, and changing the inners is cake compared to banging on the outers to get them to come off.

#23 · (Edited)

JDM96SpecCTR said:
wow this sounds great

EDIT: how about civic ep axles? are they the same as the rsx base?
I don't know... somebody needs to get some and measure them and then we can find out!

I'm curious to know the measurements on the RSX-S Axles w/ B-Series outers. I've heard some good things about them, but I haven't completely heard good news from guys who actually use their car for other than going in a straight line. I hear of some binding issues when turning. Maybe some of those guys could chime in... The half-shaft assembly between the RSX Base and RSX-S is identical (meaning that the RSX-S and RSX Base Driver and Passenger Side Axles have to be the same respective length), so maybe the guys with the RSX-S Axles w/ B-Series outers need to swap out their inners as well.

#25 ·

Okay, I just got done swapping the inners of the RSX Base Axles and my predictions on length were close.

New Base RSX Driver Side Axle Completely Compressed (previously the Passenger Side, but with the inner swapped, it now becomes the Driver Side) = 23-15/16" (23.9375")

This Driver Side Axle measures 1/8" (.125") longer than my DSS Driver Side Axle.

New Base RSX Passenger Side Axle Completely Compressed (previously the Driver Side, but with the inner swapped, it now becomes the Passenger Side) = 22-7/8" (22.875")

This Passenger Side Axle measures 3/16" (.1875") shorter than my DSS Driver Side Axle.

With a maximum of only .1875" off from DSS Axles measurements, I would think most could agree that it would be safer to swap the inners of the RSX Base axles than to just slap them in with .5" off from what they should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.