Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows the differences between the left radiator fan for the manual and the automatic RSX. Every auto parts store lists them as different. Upon further investigation, on the OEM parts diagrams, the fan shroud, blade, and motor are all different for some reason.

Does anyone happen to know if they are interchangeable or what the differences are? The only differences I can think of is maybe the fan for the automatic had to be thinner for clearance since the auto is a bigger unit or maybe it moves a bit more air since cooling the ATF is an extra load on the cooling system. I don't see any significant differences from the pictures I can find online.

Thanks a lot in advance, any information is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,554 Posts
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows the differences between the left radiator fan for the manual and the automatic RSX. Every auto parts store lists them as different. Upon further investigation, on the OEM parts diagrams, the fan shroud, blade, and motor are all different for some reason.

Does anyone happen to know if they are interchangeable or what the differences are? The only differences I can think of is maybe the fan for the automatic had to be thinner for clearance since the auto is a bigger unit or maybe it moves a bit more air since cooling the ATF is an extra load on the cooling system. I don't see any significant differences from the pictures I can find online.

Thanks a lot in advance, any information is greatly appreciated!
The auto trans may have extra hard lines running to it that are in the way of the manual radiator. I wouldn’t think there is any coolant capacity or performance differences.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,101 Posts
Have you run through the service manual for the RSX? It covers the cooling system for the auto trans and manual trans to my knowledge from recalling. I will dig through it in a little bit and repost.

Using the service manual and the oem part dealers diagrams together, something is bound to cover it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great thoughts, thanks to everyone who responded! I found a bit more information. On the O'Reilly Auto website, their auto fan is rated at 1103 CFM while their manual fan is rated at 1041 CFM. Other than that and the manual fan being over 2X the price, they appear to be virtually identical.

I'm thinking since every aftermarket brand I have seen has a different version for auto and manual, something pretty significant must be different. From my experience, aftermarket brands usually do not create several different interchangeable parts for the heck of it. If making both to the same spec was possible, someone in the aftermarket probably would.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information everyone! I ended up getting the manual fan just because I think the design looks a little bit better with the center being more open for air to flow through since the motor is narrow and longer instead of wide and low profile. How much of a difference this makes to the fan's performance I don't know, but if nothing else it would surely block airflow a tiny bit less when driving with the fans off and that's always good.

The manual fan is on top and the automatic fan is on the bottom.

Automotive lighting Rim Lamp Vehicle Bicycle part

Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Bicycle part Auto part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts