Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know if anybody is using it, and how do you guys like it. Is it better than Honda MTF? I already use Royal Purple motor oil just thought that I can match the tranny fluid with the same brand.

·
Premium Member
10,395 Posts
well, i have herd a while back, not sure about currently, but that it doesn not fair well with the trannys. i had it in a 5 speed that blew up. pretty much you have honda mtf, pennzoil syncromesh and also i hear good things about the motul and amsoil stuff.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I used it for a month and got a 4th gear grind. Do not use it. Which sucks cause I only use royal purple motor oil. I also used the amsoil and changed it after 3k miles and it came out like water. The only fluid I use now is GM syncromesh or pennzoil syncromesh, nothing else. Honda shit sucks too.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Use OEM, Amsoil, or Redline.

Royal purple doesn't even recommend their tranny fluid for use in honda/acura applications...

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

Royal purple also doesn't tell you if their synchromax is a gl-4 or gl-5 fluid. You want gl-4 for honda/acura transmissions. gl-5 will eat your synchros.

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
I agree with kommon. there's no point in using royal purple tranny fluid with better proven fluids out there. i was on the redline band wagon for a while but now im back to what i started with from the beginning, Amsoil. after testing a bunch of different oils/tranny fluid i still feel Amsoil is number 1.

·
Registered
561 Posts
in France,we use Amsoil and Roayl Purple in 75W90 without any probs:up:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thats what I use, I was saying thumbs up to it.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
penzoil makes the gm synchromesh, so dont go to the stealership and overpay for some synchromesh. Go to autozone.
Don't forget that there are 2 different gm fluids. There is gm synchromesh and gm synchromesh w/friction modifier. You want the friction modifier version. I haven't seen the pennzoil with a friction modified version. I tried the regular penzoil synchromesh in my old tranny and didn't care for it. Felt very slick. Very little feedback. However the "feel" is all a personal preference thing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hmmm, I have used Royal Purple in the last 2 trannies of mine. The first tranny was Honda MTF. THe first one I granaded on the track shifting to 4th gear. The second grenaded it on the track going to 3rd gear, and both had the bad syncro feel after about a thousand miles. The third I have yet to grenade, mainly cause only used for 4 races, haha, but has bad bad 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear grind. I never thought that Royal Pruple Syncromax might be the cause. I have heard great things on CRSX about Amsoil, and beginning to hear more and more bout GM Syncromesh.

I guess once I get the cash to rebuild the tranny before I ruin the case, I will switch to GM Syncromesh to see how that fairs, cant be anyworse than on the last 3 trannies. BTW haha only making lil under 200whp on those trannies. I race the car down the track, I dont just drive it.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
I bought two qts of mtf that shit was like 10bucks a QT. I was like ****! :cool: of course this was at the dealer...

·
Registered
38 Posts
a friend of mine used straight 30 motor oil and doesnt have any tranny problems cant remember wat brand though
my tranny have a job on the 3rd gear synchro
i go to autozone and they check in the computer and it tell that i can use 10w30 or 40
but i'll use it for 3k miles later what i can use which you think is better??:confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts