Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Currently fitting a k20a2 into my eg6 and was wondering what way you guys are routing your shifter cables through the bulkhead.
I'm keeping my heaters and thinking of routing through the spot just below it (where the srs control unit would sit)
Does anyone have any nice grommet ideas(other than the ktuned one)?, would the cables even need a grommet?

Sorry I don't have pics at the minute but feel free to post pics of your set up

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I was actually browsing through some older threads on this forum, and ended up finding some pictures that show how to route the Kseries shifter cables through the firewall on the EG chassis. Not 100% sure if its the same as the EK chassis, but I would assume its pretty close.

OP, you are indeed correct about routing the under the SRS control tray, that would be the easiest way. That would insure the cables stay straight, and don't get kinked, plus there is a cut out behind the SRS tray that is actually thinner than other areas of the firewall. As for grommet ideas, I believe Ktuned would honestly be the best route to go with. Its clean and simple to install, and keeps the cables from rubbing on the bare metal of the fire wall. You could try Hybrid Racing or some other brands and see if they have bushing for the cables.

I have attached the pictures that I fould on another thread. Can't remember the user's name so unfortunately I am unable to give them credit, but they did a good job laying out each step and how to do it properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,257 Posts
So I was actually browsing through some older threads on this forum, and ended up finding some pictures that show how to route the Kseries shifter cables through the firewall on the EG chassis. Not 100% sure if its the same as the EK chassis, but I would assume its pretty close.

OP, you are indeed correct about routing the under the SRS control tray, that would be the easiest way. That would insure the cables stay straight, and don't get kinked, plus there is a cut out behind the SRS tray that is actually thinner than other areas of the firewall. As for grommet ideas, I believe Ktuned would honestly be the best route to go with. Its clean and simple to install, and keeps the cables from rubbing on the bare metal of the fire wall. You could try Hybrid Racing or some other brands and see if they have bushing for the cables.

I have attached the pictures that I fould on another thread. Can't remember the user's name so unfortunately I am unable to give them credit, but they did a good job laying out each step and how to do it properly.
That is a great link thanks for finding that and sharing 👍✅ I was thinking of going through that same area just a few inches sooner down into the tunnel, then up and over the subframe to the trans but this looks like a more straight shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a great link thanks for finding that and sharing 👍✅ I was thinking of going through that same area just a few inches sooner down into the tunnel, then up and over the subframe to the trans but this looks like a more straight shot.
That spot comes out basically right behind the rear engine mount on the EG subframe. You might be able to get the hole down further but then I feel like you would run into clearance issues with the subframe you are using.

You're planning on doing this in the EK chassis correct? Is the SRS tray and that opening below the tray located in the same spot on the EKs as it is on the EGs? I'm planning on doing a Kswap in my EK coupe and was thinking this is the best place to route the shifter cables for what I want to do.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,257 Posts
That spot comes out basically right behind the rear engine mount on the EG subframe. You might be able to get the hole down further but then I feel like you would run into clearance issues with the subframe you are using.

You're planning on doing this in the EK chassis correct? Is the SRS tray and that opening below the tray located in the same spot on the EKs as it is on the EGs? I'm planning on doing a Kswap in my EK coupe and was thinking this is the best place to route the shifter cables for what I want to do.
Ya this will be for my 97 coupe with eg subframe and ekk2 mounts. I just picked up my hole saw bit today so probably will get it done and mount the shifter this weekend. 👍

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,257 Posts

I will have to look when I get home I know there is a circular dimple on the tunnel in that area which was where I was going to cut my hole originally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya this will be for my 97 coupe with eg subframe and ekk2 mounts. I just picked up my hole saw bit today so probably will get it done and mount the shifter this weekend. 👍
Right on. Are you planning on running an RSX shifter box from Ktuned or going a different route?

I will have to look when I get home I know there is a circular dimple on the tunnel in that area which was where I was going to cut my hole originally.
Alright. If you do, post up a picture if possible. I don't have my dash out to be able to look for it unfortunately and was wondering if there is a similar spot on the EK chassis

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,257 Posts
Right on. Are you planning on running an RSX shifter box from Ktuned or going a different route?

Alright. If you do, post up a picture if possible. I don't have my dash out to be able to look for it unfortunately and was wondering if there is a similar spot on the EK chassis
Ya I have an oem box and cables with a k tuned replica mounting plate and pics no problem 👍

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,257 Posts

Looks to be the same underneath. I should be able to get that drilled out this weekend
07CF28DD-026E-4A79-BC83-7D0D2A89753C.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks to be the same underneath. I should be able to get that drilled out this weekend
Interesting. The mounting plate for the SRS control box is different, I wonder if underneath still has that opening in the firewall like the EGs do. If so, it would be a perfect place to go through

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,257 Posts
Ahhh yes it does. Looks like the access spot for the thinner part of the firewall is right behind the srs mount. Good to know that Honda once again kept things the same through the generations lol
Ya it looks like it’s going to be a pain in the ass to get to it , but that’s definitely the best spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya it looks like it’s going to be a pain in the ass to get to it , but that’s definitely the best spot.
Is the SRS box mounting bracket spot welded to the chassis? The hardest part would be being able to get enough space to drill out the upper spot welds if that's how its held it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the info guys - its definitely helped!
My only recommendation is try drill the hole as far up as possible so you don't have clearance issues with the subframe.
I put mine pretty central in the hole and the cables are tight against the subframe.
Also, the best time to do this is if you have the subframe out as it will be easier route the cables and fit the grommet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drilled it more off to the top left to get it further to the side of the motor mount.

Hasport mount

With the extension, didn't need to move any extra brackekts or the bottom plastic vent piece

This is the size I thought would work best to get the cables through

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,494 Posts
drilled it more off to the top left to get it further to the side of the motor mount.
Nice drill tool. Did you pre-bore the plane metal of chassis with a smaller drill bore tool? Something to center the bigger drill tool correctly, as it is not easy to see where it is drill the hole...isn't it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts