Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Gas Vehicle Engineering Machine Auto part

Need a recommendation on an intake manifold. The stock one turns up, I need one that turns off the side. Looks like a standard TSX intake manifold will work. Is the RBB the best for this application? Thinking a long runner will work best for low end torque.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Since I am thinking a new intake is needed. Should I grab a k20 long block for its head/cams and intake? I am reading on this forum either k20a2 or k20z4??

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,022 Posts
Since I am thinking a new intake is needed. Should I grab a k20 long block for its head/cams and intake? I am reading on this forum either k20a2 or k20z4??
The RBB intake Should provide the best torque. Either of those k20 engines will likely be over a thousand dollars -even $1500 or beyond. If the head swap is able to Happen with the k23 block then it would be personal preference but since the engine already has a turbo on it I wouldn’t say it’s necessary to swap the head.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Question: how much resistance should I feel as I roll the motor over by hand? Turns over a lot easier than my SBF. This engine seems like it has been sitting for a while.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
Question: how much resistance should I feel as I roll the motor over by hand? Turns over a lot easier than my SBF. This engine seems like it has been sitting for a while.
If you mean to turn the crankshaft it depends on the oil film on the liners, the lever arm and the compression ratio, temperature, ... . The K23A is a low CR engine with shorter valve opening durations, so not much difference to e.g. an K24A2. You should do a compression test or more easy a leakdown test to see if there is an issue or just a happy advantage observed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yeah I don't think the rings are sealing without oil on the cylinder walls. I will do a compression test once I get the flywheel installed. Is there a way to prime the oil Pump, or just crank until I see pressure?

Best I can tell from my research is I need a J30/j32 flywheel. DMF062 / DMF063 Dual Mass Flywheel, or LFW255 Single Mass.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
Is there a way to prime the oil Pump, or just crank until I see pressure?
Fuel cut off, spark plugs not installed, start the engine for some rounds to increase oil pressure in the vanes of it. Otherwise use an external pressurized oil tank system, connect it to the engine interface (need to install one) and let it flow, plug off the external oil supply. First is cheap and good enough for most applications, second is expensive and something for fun in building things or business.

Best I can tell from my research is I need a J30/j32 flywheel. DMF062 / DMF063 Dual Mass Flywheel, or LFW255 Single Mass.
As the flywheel is a major balancer of the torsional oscillation, induced by internal and external forces, I would look for something on the heavier side, especially regarding my considerations about external oscillations. I am not into the J-series stuff. You may can help here with some data, please?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Would a good match. Also the S200SX-E 76S75 would be this at likely a 2 %-pts efficiency.
Any concerns getting this turbo to spool to 18psi by 3000rpm? .83 AR? A local performance shop suggested that without cam control on the exhaust it won’t, says I need a k20 head🤷

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Quick update, I have been looking for a RBB intake, but I came home with a RAA. I read these are pretty restrictive, but for a boosted application looking for low rpm grunt it should be ok??? Has a much longer runner than the RDX manifold so that should be an improvement?
Either way I will keep looking for a RBB.
Automotive air manifold Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Crankset Bicycle part

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
I read these are pretty restrictive, but for a boosted application looking for low rpm grunt it should be ok?
For higher engine speeds and bigger VE adding approaches with NA, yes, these are more restrictive against flow flux. But for your application it will be ok, you feed it just with a little more boost.

Has a much longer runner than the RDX manifold so that should be an improvement?
Depends on boost level. Below 2.0 bar I would say so. The influence of air pressure oscillation vs pure mass impulse below that is definitely the bigger driver for VE. But the higher the boost level, the more less sonic bounded pressure wave timing plays a role as air mass becomes the player. This is no hard border, it is a long and smooth transition between those two forces, running the VE amount of your engine.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts