Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,016 Posts
Any love for the K23A1, Honda must have put a little extra in the bottom end of this factory turbo motor?? 2008 Acura RDX - Powertrain
Thanks for sharing this article. The K23A1 engine bypassed this forum, but of course we have some threads about it:

Insight to the k23a1 engine | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum
Why no K23a1? | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum
Further testing with the 2007-2011 Acura RDX platform, K23A1 (DYNO) | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum

Seems it made it not into the popular swaps, despite the higher power level. The weaker design of the K20C1 made it almost, is already popular. Not sure way it is like it is. I am just interested in Honda's K-series since the end of the year 2013.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Those threads are interesting, I can see why it isn’t swap friendly into a car. But It does seem perfect for a jet boat
It appears that the manifold flange is a t25. Is this going to be a limitation? Or should I be able to spec a turbo that makes the power I am after? Seems like this small flange is a choke point, but then again am not after any HP after 6000rpm🤷 I can build a exhaust manifold if needed.

there are a number of these motors at engine recyclers, I am going to call around tomorrow. What turbo should I be considering?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I am pretty much sold on use the k23a motor (found one for a good price with 40,000 miles). The only big unknown is what flywheel can I use? From what I have found, it needs to be a 130t wheel. Few different J series flywheels are available, any thoughts on which one will work?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,016 Posts
So I am pretty much sold on use the k23a motor (found one for a good price with 40,000 miles)
Congratulations on your decision. I would be interested on pictures of the engine.

The only big unknown is what flywheel can I use?
Question to that. How does the drivetrain connection look like

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Using longer flywheel bolts, a flange is bolted to the flywheel and crank. A short driveshaft made of u-joints makes the connection to the pump.

On to the turbo, what should I be considering? I have lost a few days to matchbot already.

My goal is low end torque, the HP doesn't matter too much. I am shooting for 400ft-lb at 4000rpm(or earlier is possible). The Turbo can be out of steam past 6000rpm. if it made 450hp that is fine.
The stock manifold is a T25, not sure if this too small or just right for low end torque.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Any other to consider? Should I also be considering a Rotrex supercharger?
Rotrex will give you the opposite of what you want.
Lower torque with most power at the top of the rev range is what rotrex delivers.
Positive displacement super chargers will give you the best results

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The engine should ship tomorrow. Found one with a few more miles but more complete. Even comes with the stock Mitsubishi TD04HL-15T turbocharger. I think we will give that a spin on the dyno as a point of comparison. Anymore suggestions on a turbo or is EFR7163 the best option? Going to grab a2w from frozen boost.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Great time to work on the timing assembly and oil pump assembly while the engine is out, as a suggestion. They are over due after 120,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
the engine has 70,000 miles. Is there anything I should do the engine at this time?
it is up to you. I am not the best one to ask about limiting spending. I like to service as much as I possibly can. You have to ask yourself... " Self I am going to dig into that wallet, do not try to stop me.."

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,001 Posts
It would be wise to do a new chain tensioner at the least. Pretty non invasive and I would just order a new tensioner cover as they like to bend upon removal. Honda bond as well (grey permetex will do but HB is better ). I doubt the chain is stretched @70k on an auto engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok, added to the list are: new water pump, timing chain tensioner and cover, and possibly the oil pump.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,001 Posts

here’s something I found regarding your engine

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Tensioner, Cam Chain - Acura (14510-RWC-A01)

Bolt, Flange (6X30) - Acura (95701-06030-08) (x2)

Cover, Chain Case - Acura (11412-PNA-000)

Bolt, Flange (6X12) - Acura (95701-06012-08) (x3)

The oil pump assembly is $572. That is with 28% off.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,001 Posts
Tensioner, Cam Chain - Acura (14510-RWC-A01)

Bolt, Flange (6X30) - Acura (95701-06030-08) (x2)

Cover, Chain Case - Acura (11412-PNA-000)

Bolt, Flange (6X12) - Acura (95701-06012-08) (x3)

The oil pump assembly is $572. That is with 28% off.
Balancer shaft pumps are $$$ I wonder if there’s a PRB style conversion for this engine.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts