Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure everyone has seen my engine not starting thread that was 7 pages long..:silly: I'm going to start this post because I don't think anyone will look at my old thread anymore..

Well I rebuilt the engine due to some debri getting into the cylinders and f*cking everything up, but now I'm back to the engine not running.

I crank the motor sometimes it will start and idle up and run at normal idle for 2-3 seconds then drop down to a chugging idle then finally die. Other times I don't get anything. I've been able to keep the car running normal if the gas is held down, but only sometimes. If I unplug my injectors that seems to change how the engine sounds at start up. I'm thinking its a fuel problem because my car will also start and run on starter fluid. I don't really want to continue to mess with it since it hasn't even been broken in.

I have a datalog I can attach, but this site keeps giving me an error every time I try to attach something. The datalog is zipped so it's in the right format. It says upload error though every time I try uploading anything. I even tried a .jpeg with no luck. If anyone that knows Kpro well wants to take a look at it for me that might help. Thank in advance. :up:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Zack,

It sounds like a fuel or spark issue to me. Is the gas new? How about the plugs. If it runs well with starter fluid it really makes me think fuel issue...

What is the condition of your fuel filter and fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike,

I also think it's a fuel issue. The plugs should be ok as they were good before all this mess happened. I'm getting spark and my fuel pressure is around 52psi. My FPR is after my rail so gas is getting all the way through the system. My pump was changed when I put the motor in the first time so it's only a couple of years old. My fuel filter is a brand new Earl's filter. When I get the engine to start it will idle bad for about 10 sec or less then shut off. My A/F ratio is around 10.x:1 which is way rich. The times I've gotten it to run with partial throttle my A/F is around 14.7:1 which is what it should be at. I'm thinking one of the sensors that tell the injectors what to do is bein funky..:confused:

·
Registered
326 Posts
How Long Did The Car Sit With The Same Fuel In The Tank... If Its Been More Then 2 Months Drain It And Refill With New High Octane..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got access to a different pair of injectors? I believe you also redid your wire harness too, are the pins making a secure connection on the injector plugs?
I had tried different injectors before I did the rebuild and the results where the same. I may need to try some again though.

How Long Did The Car Sit With The Same Fuel In The Tank... If Its Been More Then 2 Months Drain It And Refill With New High Octane..
The car sat for about 3 months with the gas currently in it.

I'm able to get the car to start sometimes and stay started if I give it partial throttle. If I let off the car dies. I've done a couple of datalogs and the A/F ratio goes way rich when it is idling bad or about to shut off.

I was also able to check for vacuum leaks one of the times it was running and as soon as the throttle body is plugged the engine dies so it doesn't have any leaks anywhere.

·
Registered
18,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
try reloading your map into k-pro. I had a similar problem, and after changing a bunch of shit, it was just the first time i uploaded the map it didn't load properly.
I tried that. I've tried a few different cals even and still the same result.

Anyone else have a problem loading a cal once the ecu security has been cleared? If I clear my ecu and turn the ignition off for 1 min (per Kmanager) and then turn the ignition back on the cal doesn't load. I noticed if I close the Kmanager and reopen it then my map will load, but then sometimes it will trigger limp mode. This isn't cal specific either. Happens with all the ones I've tried.

·
Registered
426 Posts
hey i had the exact same thing happen to my car does it blow black smoke when you get it to start? if so then check the wires going from the harness to the map sensor for loose connection if there not solder? well this what happened to mine it came loose because i only taped it together and didn't solder it then found it by taking the tape off... then it worked again after i solder them back together hope this helps you man...also check like the tps and iacv to see if there working..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i knoe i'm kinda late into the post but has this been checked yet?
Any info is appreciated..:up:

I checked all those at some point in time this year. I was able to get the motor to start and I drove it when I changed the map sensor. I don't know if the map sensor was really bad or the motor just decided to work all day for me. I still have that same map on there and no dice. I'm going to try and borrow a buddies spare sensors and see if that works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts