Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I just rebuilt a k24 for my 2005 honda accord with k24a2 cams and egr delete in the engine. On first start it started misfiring on cylinder 1 and through the car for it. i double checked my sparkplugs and coil packs and there where no issues with ether of the two. engine stared the sound like it had low compression on cylinder 1. i do not have a compression tester and was trying to see if anyone else has had this issue. Engine has brand new timing kit and full gasket kit put in. The misfire goes away in vTec but starts back up when it drops in rpms. Any help or information will help. I've been thinking i need to do valve lash job on it but its to cold out to do it right now. You can sorta hear it in this video.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hello and welcome. :)
while reving high it sounds OK. On the low revs I can mainly hear some metal music, but little of the engine.
Have you adjusted valve lash when you build the engine?
if you run zero lash on a valve, you can get misfires and burn the valve seats in no time.
Did you have the rockers apart? Easy to put in the little cylinders in the wrong order or forgetting to put them back in after testing for piston to valve clearance on the high cam and full VTC advance.
how does it idle? If it idles on 3 cylinders, you can swap injectors and see if the issues moves with it to check for injector issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome. :)
while reving high it sounds OK. On the low revs I can mainly hear some metal music, but little of the engine.
Have you adjusted valve lash when you build the engine?
if you run zero lash on a valve, you can get misfires and burn the valve seats in no time.
Did you have the rockers apart? Easy to put in the little cylinders in the wrong order or forgetting to put them back in after testing for piston to valve clearance on the high cam and full VTC advance.
how does it idle? If it idles on 3 cylinders, you can swap injectors and see if the issues moves with it to check for injector issues.
I checked the injectors and they seem fine, but haven't done any lashing though. It idles on all 4 cylinders very poorly on number 1. I have been doing this build on a really tight budget and very tight time crunch to get it running and out my friends garage. Once I have a chance I will pull the valve cover and do the lashing. Thanks for the input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
834 Posts
first do a compression or even better a leak down test. If cylinder 1 stands out with high leakage or low compession, you have a hardware problem. If the valves are the issue, you can hear the leakage in the intake or the exhaust while pressurising the cylinder. If the piston/cylinder are the issue, you can hear it from the oil filler opening with the filler cap removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts