Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
As we all know the tsx 09 piston give you about 11.5 compression when Paired with rbb rods in a k24 but can we swap the tsx 09 rods in a into a older k24 block? Are the r40 rods better then the rbb??
with TSX 09 pistons you will have 11 compression.
R40 rods have a little bit different desing and acura/honda states that these are strong:
"High-strength crack-separated connecting rods are used to minimize weight and size, while also increasing connecting rod rigidity and long-term durability. A "cracked" connection means that the rod and cap are forged as a single unit during the manufacturing process, and then are cracked apart to create a custom fit between the two matching surfaces.

This unique design allows for the elimination of connecting rod bolt pins, since the connecting rod bolts can be precision machined to fit the cap to the rod. The end result is a connecting rod that is 13 percent lighter and has a 20 percent smaller cross section, resulting in less rotating mass inside the engine and less space occupied by the connecting rod."

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
They're interchangeable. Either rod will work just fine. Honda may have possibly made a slight slight change to the R40 but either rod has been proven to be very good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why are you so hell bent on trying to choose a OEM rod? Giving yourself headaches.

The 09 TSX piston is 11.1cr, not 11.5cr.
because i like mix matching oem part and pushing to there limits, if it works for guys in honda challenge it works for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If Joe Mac was still around he'd tell you the OEM piston is the weakest link, not the rod.

If I told you the R40 rod was 8% stronger than the RBB rod would that make you jump out of a window and go buy it??

any test done with r40 or rl5 rods ???

·
USDM > *
4,858 Posts
any test done with r40 or rl5 rods ???
Honestly, does it matter? I think you're trying to make this too academic. My question from 2014 is still relevant:

If I told you the R40 or rl5 rod was 8% stronger than the RBB rod would that make you jump out of a window and go buy it??

If you have the funds to build a block then get the best aftermarket rods you can afford. If not, beat on a stock block till it blows then go get another one for $1200. Rinse and repeat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts