Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a friend was wondering what you need/have to do to keep the radiator on the passenger side? My friend is tring to run the intake into the grill like dblock did. Plus here and in S.FL first thing the do is walk up and look in the grill to see if its a kswap. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
The radiator doesn't care where it is. You could mount it on the roof of the car if you wanted. You just need to figure out how to route the hoses and electrical connections.

If the concern is the car *looking* like a k-swap because of radiator location, you could always just use a full width radiator.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the radiator could be mounted anywhere but I was wondering about the hoses mainly.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I see where you coming from.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would like too know how too keep it there as well

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The reason I didn't keep it on the passenger side is that when the hot air goes through it, what is on the opposite side? The intake manifold. I don't know about you but hot air flowing on my intake manifold is not something I want.
First off, the air that passes through the rad is generally cool (depending on climate) especially when the car is moving. It will be warmed very little as it passes through the rad fins to cool the coolant. The main advantage of keeping the rad on the right or passenger side is direct cool air for the intake. If you go a step further and put a V-stack behind the front grill the results can be even better...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, the air that passes through the rad is generally cool (depending on climate) especially when the car is moving. It will be warmed very little as it passes through the rad fins to cool the coolant. The main advantage of keeping the rad on the right or passenger side is direct cool air for the intake. If you go a step further and put a V-stack behind the front grill the results can be even better...
That is the main reason.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
use flex hoses.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I saw a difference of ~8deg drop in iats when i went from a regular halfcore radiator on the drivers side to a full width radiator.

So the hot air passing through the radiator can be significant.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I saw a difference of ~8deg drop in iats when i went from a regular halfcore radiator on the drivers side to a full width radiator.

So the hot air passing through the radiator can be significant.
Your specific results are more than likely due to lower overall coolant temps. With the larger full size rad and cooler water temps I have no doubt at all that IAT would be lower.

My point is that the engine temp won't be significantly lower based on rad location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts