Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im picking up some 24.5x8x13 in slicks next weekend for my car for a really good price and im wondering if they are a little to big for my setup. which consists of a k20r i/h/e with rbc. i see most are running between 22 in - 24 in slicks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you got them run them. which tranny do you have? be sure not to run too low of a psi at first, you dont want to break any axles.
i was thinking on selling the slicks that are on the wheels, and buying smaller slicks such as 23 or 24. but just didn't know how much of a difference the 1/2 in or 1 1/2 in would be. its the itr tranny btw. they only have one pass on them.

sooo they just might be forsale for some smaller ones :up:

·
Registered
580 Posts
i had 24.5 by 8 on my crx with a k20...and they are to big...try them out its better then nothing...i would get 23s with your set up

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im certainly thinking on 23's for the setup so, ill be putting the tires up forsale to fund smaller ones :silly:

·
Registered
457 Posts
If I can offer my two cents.

What you need to do is look at your dynograph, where do you want your rpms to fall to when you shift? What FD you have in your tranny. Next Conrad from CRSX has a site that has a conversion for mph/rpm/gears. I would fill it out, as you do each gear you can see roughly where you will fall to. This should help you make a good decision. Its not really based on what others are doing.

With my stock 4.3 fd, on my RSX, with just 200whp, I was able to pick up .5 by switching from 24.9"stock tires street with 2.25 60's to a 22"BFG DR with 2.20 60', it changed my FD to roughly 4.79 according to that site, and it did perfect for me to stay in my power band.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i have yet to get my car dyno'd but that is on the to-do list before the season begins...as for the rpm drop im not sure where would be the range for that to drop in or not to drop below due to not having it tuned and knowing where the vtec point is...but as for now it does seem that 23's are going to be the better bet due to the minimal amount of mods done to the motor...

thanks for the input though man you brought up a pretty good point to look at in the future when the car is tuned and before i hit the track :up:

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah for most mild builds a shorter tire would be better for racing, though at same time if you can run a smaller wheel to have more side wall will help as well. You guys luck out by being able to run a 13 or 14, so 22 and 23 will have enough sidewall to help on launch and breakage. I grounded my calipers to fit 15s, but scared to go more to fit 14s.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah for most mild builds a shorter tire would be better for racing, though at same time if you can run a smaller wheel to have more side wall will help as well. You guys luck out by being able to run a 13 or 14, so 22 and 23 will have enough sidewall to help on launch and breakage. I grounded my calipers to fit 15s, but scared to go more to fit 14s.
man you must have some damn big brakes man lol...what car are these monsters on? im assuming a rsx?

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah the Type-S, I have considered swapping to the base and grinding the calipers to fit 14s, but then I would have to mod the wheel bearing to fit the type-s axles or mod them cause of spline count.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you used the base spindle/brake set-up couldn't you just use the axles instead of modifying the wheel bearing. seems it would be a little easier that way, but non-the less i dont think it would be worth it...just get some more go- fast parts :silly:

·
Registered
457 Posts
thats my thinking exactly, the gains arent that justifiable for me, I could spend that money on parts that make me go faster than that will, and the brakes are better cause they are bigger.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats my thinking exactly, the gains arent that justifiable for me, I could spend that money on parts that make me go faster than that will, and the brakes are better cause they are bigger.
yes sir and better for stopping that larger vehicle such as the rsx....and the more gains/power you make the better the bigger slicks will accomidate that power :up:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts