Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the tool from HONDA is 250 dollars and yeah that is not happening (070AB-RJA0100- from the honda book)

What are you guys using to remove the pulley?

Will this work: (50mm crankshaft dampener/balancer)
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt..._pulley_holding_tool_for_honda_and_acura.html

and is this video pretty much all I need to follow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-pzP8g_x4&feature=player_embedded

If so would this be available local anywhere near me (i.e advanced auto, pepboyz, autozone... etc....)

Or is there a cheaper way?

Making sure the k20 uses a 50mm tool (from above, as the book does not give the size)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what is all off the engine. Its being worked on by someone. He said he needed the tool to hold the crank still. Not really sure why he needed that off either. Ive never taken an engine apart so no clue. But hes trying to check the head, gasket etc...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure what is all off the engine. Its being worked on by someone. He said he needed the tool to hold the crank still. Not really sure why he needed that off either. Ive never taken an engine apart so no clue. But hes trying to check the head, gasket etc...
If he's trying to check the headgasket, The timing chain cover has to come off in order for that to happen...To get that off, The crank pulley needs to come off... Therefore, That's the reasoning for the tool being requested.

If you could, Next time you talk to the mechanic/guy, Could you ask him what all was involved and what not? My motor is almost ready to be torn down to replace the head gasket,timing chain,tensioner,valve cover gasket, and have head studs put in...

Good luck though with your build

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am hoping to check progress soon! I know he is following the manual very closely. And as far as i know the cam cover is off, all hoses that need to be etc. But ill try to get there soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If he's trying to check the headgasket, The timing chain cover has to come off in order for that to happen...To get that off, The crank pulley needs to come off... Therefore, That's the reasoning for the tool being requested.

If you could, Next time you talk to the mechanic/guy, Could you ask him what all was involved and what not? My motor is almost ready to be torn down to replace the head gasket,timing chain,tensioner,valve cover gasket, and have head studs put in...

Good luck though with your build

From what i can tell: drain oil and coolant, disconnect all hoses, and just start unbolting stuff to take parts off. When i grabbed my head from him, the intake was still in place, the header was off and out.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I bought the one i linkedbove for 50 bucks! Worked perfect with no problems at all!
I bought this same one yesterday and took me 5 mins of messing around with it and go it set up and had the pully off in 30 seconds. Spent an hour an a half the night before with an impact gun and got no where. Best $40 I have spent :up:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woot! The SI lives again! Got it all bolted back up last week and its officially back in my own driveway running strong!

Sad part is, it's going to sit all winter :/ as i want this to be my summer fun car and want to start making it look good again!

Current list of parts wanted: bc racing coils, my 18's are at the powdercoaters, some other suspension things, sticker bomb wrap my hood/trunk, spoiler to match rims, and some other little things!

·
Registered
133 Posts
put the flywheel on and lock it with something. lot easier and cheaper than the tool that youll probably only a few times

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I bought a $6 tractor nut and just used a big pipe wrench that I have. Takes two people but much cheaper. Cracked it loose in a few seconds. Used two different 1/2" impacts and they didn't touch it. Tried to hold the flywheel through starter hole and that was a joke. I bought a tool local and it was too small for a B-Series I was working on. I think it changed to the current size in the 1980's. So there are at least two sizes.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
ACTUALLY...

$14.92 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25

1 - 20 of 24 Posts