Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 k24a2 with the stock vtc gear.. I know the 50* gear allows for more cam advance and that would be in my buy list but I'd like to stay as safe as possible and would like to avoid contact problems as much as I can I've seen people use 30* to 45*.. why do people use the 30 opposed to the 45 and which would make the most power with my motor or would I have to experiment through having different degrees and tuning?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
40* would probably be best for safety, you don't necessarily need to pin the vtc gear, you can machine your 25* to 45* and thats safe, people pin for extra security. 30-45 is all just preference, or how the engine is being built ect. just like people use different K heads with different bottoms, all depends on your build type. 40-45 should make most power, i don't see much difference between 40-45, maybe someone else can chime in on that. as for power it really depends on your parts and tuning (tuner)

·
Registered
53 Posts
45 degree is like mid range power 4k rpm.. ppl change from 30 to 45 for an all motor setup but if u got a turbo 30 degrees is still good..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 05 k24a2 with the stock vtc gear.. I know the 50* gear allows for more cam advance and that would be in my buy list but I'd like to stay as safe as possible and would like to avoid contact problems as much as I can I've seen people use 30* to 45*.. why do people use the 30 opposed to the 45 and which would make the most power with my motor or would I have to experiment through having different degrees and tuning?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
toda makes a 40 vtc for our cars

·
k20a.orgy
2,954 Posts
i had a 07 k24a2, the only internal mod i had was a 50 degree VTC gear.

07 has the bigger intake valve. never had an issue.

this was thought to be an issue back in the day. no one has ever reported a problem and i can tell you for sure that i never ran into any issues with a 50 degree VTC gear.

once you start dabbling with pistons and cams, you can start to worry.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
...And I ragged the piss out of it...
Thanks Mixwell, you frequently show me nice phrases to know...no stuff I can find in my around 1000 pages having Langenscheidt Dictonary :wink:. But it seems to be clear for me what you mean LOL :D.

Anyway claying and limiting mechanically is always safest :up:. BTW, can I use here the Gerund Form with "ing" to express to...no it is not ongoing :facepalm:. Finally it should be "Anyway to clay and to limit..."?! But you guys will know what I mean :D

·
k20a.orgy
2,954 Posts
i would like to clay, but that won't be for a while. haven't had a need...yet.

and when i say yet, i'm hoping later this year with a higher compression 12.5 build.

and in the name of science, i'll clay the stock 06-08 k24a2 with 50° VTC.

trac tuff has a very nice kit to do this if you haven't seen it.

http://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-k-engine-claying-kit

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
...and in the name of science, i'll clay the stock 06-08 k24a2 with 50° VTC.
LOL :D

trac tuff has a very nice kit to do this if you haven't seen it.
I like their process description, except 37. and 38., where I would use some protective layer to lever the towers out/off. Very nice supporting parts they offer!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts