Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was having a questions about where to run my battery. since there is no real location in the engine bay i was wondering where everyone ran there batteries and if there all in the trunk? also how did they wire it to the loom in the front of the engine bay. im just concerned about any voltage drop to damage my k pro. any past experiences and info are welcome. i just want to start my car today!

·
Registered
235 Posts
i ran mine in my trunk.for the wiring i ran one cable from my battery to my starter then one wire from my starter to my fuse box. and the stock wire from the altonator to the fuse box .dont know if there is and voltage drop but it charges fine and it works, but thats just how i did it because i didnt want to run two cables from my battery.

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
i ran mine in my trunk.for the wiring i ran one cable from my battery to my starter then one wire from my starter to my fuse box. and the stock wire from the altonator to the fuse box .dont know if there is and voltage drop but it charges fine and it works, but thats just how i did it because i didnt want to run two cables from my battery.
you need to run a bigger battery in order to put it in your trunk = weight
you need xtra long thick cable = weight

trust me, under the fender is where its at...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now if i were to go with the fender idea and got the small battery is it safe to run the line from the + to the oem loom with just bolting them together. basically take the ring and slide a bolt through it to hold it in place.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i have a red top in my trunk......ran 4guage wire from the alternantor to the fuse box(fuse box has been relocated to the front pass side floor in the front) and 4 guage wire from the starter to a distro block and then another 4guage wire from the distro block to the fuse box. then from the distro block i have 2 guage wire going to the positive side of the battery.....

these were old pics...its all cleaned up now....

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
now if i were to go with the fender idea and got the small battery is it safe to run the line from the + to the oem loom with just bolting them together. basically take the ring and slide a bolt through it to hold it in place.
You could....but the right thing to do would be make a new charge harness....there is a thread how to do it in the diy thread....wouldn't cost more than 20 and help protect you from voltage drops....my .02....besides you could do a nice tuck as well help clean up the bay

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
thank you hector, exactly what I am describing...you can even see parts of his charge harness....

the right way to do it

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the info and photos. now just for now to get her to start i was going to wire it to the oem loom. is that ok? im assuming so. also i checked the diy thread but didnt see a charge harness one.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i mounted mine in the trunk. ran 4g wire from the bat to the factory spot on the loom and hid it. grounded it of course in the trunk as wel with also 4g wire. works not a problem.

·
Registered
919 Posts
also did mine in the trunk. I didn't do the fender idea b/c what if i need to jump my car one day. just jumping the car will need u to remove the bumper just to get access.

it's not the right way, but i've been running the trunk battery for over a year without a problem along with 4 of my other friends who have teh same swap

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,914 Posts
Mine is in the trunk as well... at least mine has a battery box and its mounted with straps around it too..

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43384&highlight=summit

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW^^^^^^^^^^^^

word is 4gauge is to small and may cause daughter board errors.
There should be 2 wires coming from the battery: one to the starter and another to the fusebox. The one to the starter "should" be the heaviest gauge cable in comparison to the power wire ran to the fuse box.
The third cable should be from fusebox to alternator.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks for the link and info guys. so basically im going to cut out the oem wire from alternator to fuse box, fusebox to battery, and battery to starter then leave any remaining sensors in place on that harness. Now if i relocate my battery to back seat (for now since short supply of cash) or get a new battery (very tempting) all i do is run 4 gauge to the starter from the battery and a line of 4 gauge from the battery to the fuse box and 4 gauge to the fuse box to alternator. im going to prob place a 100 amp fuse in the lines as well for added protection. now is that about it. doesnt sound that bad just have to figure out getting to the starter with the car almost all together.

im not missing anything am i. im prob going to do this wednesday.

·
Registered
360 Posts
the most amperage fuse you need for the starting system is 80...thats what i have in my distro block and works great for me for the past year ive had the swap.

if you run the batt from your back seat...refer to my previous post on how i did mine.....i just routed everything through a distro block, and it works great

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
^^can I ask what is the purpose of adding a fuse to these wires as they were not fused previously? I could understand if the individual had amps, subs, etc...

·
Registered
360 Posts
^^^ basically you just got it.....i put 1 10" sub in the back.....

and the reason why i use another 80 amp fuse is for the distro block. i used the distro block cuz i though it would be easier for me to route the wires from the battery to the fuse box...strarter...etc.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
cool I got u^^^

1 - 20 of 48 Posts