Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its finally here but one problem does anybody have or know where i can get instructions on install, and if there is any parts i might need or might need to replace during install. Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
yeha dude, I can walk you through it. I am assuming the quaife came with a speed sensor ring, and new bearings, if not, order new bearings from acura, they are like $40 each, and you need 2 for the quaife. Now, start by removing the three bolts that don;t seem like they connect the two halves of the tranny case, and carefully store the spring and ball bearing beneath each of the three bolts. NOw for the second to hardest part, remove the bronze cap with a ginormous hex key, and then in the hole, along the edges, is a snap ring, you have to remove the snap ring. After that, move to the shifter assembley. Make sure the tranny is in neutral and carfully wiggle out the shiter mechanism, look in the hole and note that all the gates are lined up. Now, unbolt all the bolts and tap the case with a rubber mallet until its open.

Once open, remove the forks, and the reverse gear (small shaft with a big cog on it). Actually take pictures first in case you forget how it all rests once you are done. NOw, after removing the reverse, I suggest you wrap the main and counter shaft in saran wrap, and pull them out together, and try to keep them meshed the whole time they are not. If the come out spearetly its ok, but I like the saran wrap trick. Now, with the two shafts out, pull out the old differential (no need to unbolt anything), drop in the new one, put the shafts back in, the reverse gear and then the forks, remember that when the cover comes in the fork gates must be aligned exactly how they were before you cracked open the case. then bolt the tranny cover back on, its a bitch and takes a coupole blows from the mallet. but then reverse the first steps and enjoy the lsd. Pm me if you get stuck.

Oh yeah, once the shafts are out, you may want to look at your synchros, if they are totally fucked, order the carbon 05 synchros, you can;t get them without the gear from acura, but believe me, this is the only time you ever want to crack that fucker open, so you may as well take care of everytying with it out and open.

Oh yeah: DO NOT REUSE THE BEARINGS FROM YOUR STOCK DIFFERENTIAL. Unless you have a bearing puller, if they don;t come off perfectly level, they are worthless, besides $80 for new bearings is chump change compared to the work to do the whole thing over again...

lates :dance:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok these instructions are great thanks i havent been home to open the box yet my roomate called and told me it was in so i check in the morning to see what it came with i bought the ep3 tranny from nikos and the quaife for 895.00 shipped i hope i made a good choice by going with the 5 speed rather than the six speed, also if anybody is near the fredricksburg area and has some transmission experience help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
the ep3 synchros are not as fancy as the type s synchros, and actually fail less often, you made a good choice :up:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET thanks for the help hopefully but the end of this week ill have the vtc and quaife in of course unless i order those ips cams k2s i think. I'm just not sure yet

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey litter if you have nothing better to do you can come down to stafford and help out cause im sure you have more experience with this than i do in fact if you know where i can get a eg rear crossmember or engine craddle whatever they call it and also lower control arms for the front that would be cool so i can sand blast them and re-paint em

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Goddamn. I had all that shit but I tossed it cause i needed space in my garage. I might still have the lca's.

I'm really fucking busy all the time but I'll try and come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts