Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I created this thread to showcase our plugs and to provide a visual demonstration of exactly what happens when you run Pulstar Spark Plugs in your Honda K Engine. Simply put, we use innovative plasma-assisted combustion technology to increase horsepower and torque.

Pulstar features an internal capacitor, developed with the help of a US Department of Energy laboratory, to store energy that creates a high-intensity electrical pulse when released. This pulse saturates the fuel with combustion-enhancing plasma, ensuring instant ignition and a rapid burn.

► Instant ignition and a more complete burn means your Honda K Engine responds quickly. You’ll really feel the difference in throttle response when pulling away from a stop.

► Pulstar’s rapid burn creates higher peak pressure on the piston; applying more torque on the crank shaft, resulting in more power to your wheels.

► Burning more fuel during the power stroke means you get the most power from your fuel. Laboratory and dyno testing has repeatedly shown gains in horsepower.

► Pulstar burns fuel efficiently, ensuring it isn’t wasted. Whether you see an improvement in power, fuel economy, or both depends on how you drive.​

The following YouTube videos were recorded in a compressed chamber nicknamed "Sparky". It has an ignition system attached to it, where pressurized compressed air is stored within. What you are seeing is the capacitor discharging the stored energy to create our plasma-forming pulse. This makes our “spark” appear brighter when compared to any conventional spark plug. Please let me know if you guys have any questions!

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. NGK Iridium IX

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. Denso Iridium

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. NGK Laser Iridium

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. Bosch Platinum 4

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. Autolite XP Iridium

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. Bosch Platinum Fusion

Pulstar Spark Plug vs. Champion

Thanks,
- [email protected]

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,718 Posts
Good at atmoshere, what about under in cylinder condition

...I created this thread to showcase our plugs and to provide a visual demonstration of exactly what happens when you run Pulstar Spark Plugs in your Honda K Engine. Simply put, we use innovative plasma-assisted combustion technology to increase horsepower and torque...

Hi Mitch,

great inlightment :D. What does the engine telling you, using those back to back? My you conduct a test on that?

Markus

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: Good at atmoshere, what about under in cylinder condition

Hi Mitch,

great inlightment :D. What does the engine telling you, using those back to back? My you conduct a test on that?

Markus
As always, we love testing. The results are very typical in all of our applications; consistent increases in WHP/TQ & Fuel Economy :D

I created a 'How Pulstar Plugs Work' Thread, you should check it out!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,718 Posts
Mmmhhh...need to know more about it

...I created a 'How Pulstar Plugs Work' Thread, you should check it out!
Thanks Mitch, nice write up :up:. Especially the videos must be a looooot of work, well done in terms of highlighting the essence of pulsstar's technology. I did read the papers Lou Camilli send me some month ago (SAE 2014-01-2626 and ICEF2012-92165), which were a great insight concerning the effect of the capacitor technology in spark plugs.

The back to back results for low to high load at different engine speeds are pretty interesting, especially the emissions are telling their own story about the verification of a quicker burn besides the cylinder pressure indication measurement. My concerns or question would be more about both:
  • EMC of the other components in a K20/24 surrounding?
  • Endurance of electrodes compared to typical ones of the K20/24 relevant ones?
Just thinking loud:
having that thicker center electrode is telling a story about electrode wear, as thermodynamically a very thin one, due to cooling of the flame kernel, would be best. But it seems to be with the capacitor technique that can be over compensated...mmmhhh, would be a smaller capacitor and a thinner center electrode more cost effective (= same power but less precious metal)?

Just curious about that :D, would appreciate your experience on that.

Markus

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plasma-assisted combustion via Complex Control System - $2,000+ per cylinder
Plasma-assisted combustion via Pulstar Spark Plugs - Less than $18 a cylinder
;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Mmmhhh...need to know more about it

My concerns or question would be more about both:
  • EMC of the other components in a K20/24 surrounding?
  • Endurance of electrodes compared to typical ones of the K20/24 relevant ones?
The pulse plug Electromagnetic and Radio Frequency emissions are below those specified in the relevant SAE standards and I wouldn’t anticipate a problem with that. The electrode life is similar to that of any other premium spark plug :)

Just thinking loud:
having that thicker center electrode is telling a story about electrode wear, as thermodynamically a very thin one, due to cooling of the flame kernel, would be best.
The cooling of the flame kernel by the electrodes is pretty minimal and is controlled by the heat range. While the diameter of the electrode is one of the factors that affects heat range it’s only one and by adjusting the other factors (electrode length, insulator nose length, electrode materials, internal copper core dimensions….) we can design to whatever the target is.

But it seems to be with the capacitor technique that can be over compensated...mmmhhh, would be a smaller capacitor and a thinner center electrode more cost effective (= same power but less precious metal)?
You’ve clearly identified one of the challenges of this business. Like pretty much everything in engineering, capacitor size vs. electrode size and electrode life is a balancing act. At one extreme we could use an expensive, large diameter precious metal electrode and no capacitance which would be just an expensive spark plug with great electrode life but poor performance. The other extreme would be a huge capacitor with a tiny electrode and no precious metal which would be less expensive and would run great but electrode life would be measured in feet instead of miles. We spend a lot of our engineering resources determining the correct balance for the different applications and markets that we’re involved in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts