Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was recently pulled over and the cop made me pop my hood. I have a basic K swap with a simple intake tube with filter (home made).

I think the problem was that the breather on my valve cover just has a little filter clamped to it. He gave me a ticket for a modified intake, my question is are there intakes to buy to fix this problem or do I have to install the oem unit that reserculates back into the intake?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
919 Posts
any intake with a carb sticker will work. Most intakes with carb stickers will have a hose for you to connect the intake to your valve cover.

aem or injen shoudl work.

or just get an OEM one and be done with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info, I called and they said I had to make an appointment to get it smoged b/c of the ticket, has anyone ever passed smog with a K-swap? I dont think it is possible I have none of the emission compents on the back of the motor.

·
Registered
919 Posts
if you have to smog your car, that's not an intake fix it ticket. It must be something else or the cops are messing with you. what is the citation number they are citing you for?

Also, my kswap is bar'd and legalized here in cali. To get it bar'd was quite a process. basiallly everything has to be hooked up as if it came stock from the dealership.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You need to post more info. If you really want to pass state ref you better get your ducks in a row quick. Sounds to me like you have vacuum lines disconnected. That won't due at the ref.
Get to the CARB web site and start looking things up. Everything depends on the chassis your swap is in. The ref's are smart here in Cali. If you have a swapped car the ref will know because they need to verify the vacuum diagram for your model year chassis. There's a lot to it. You might be better off paying the fine, but be aware that fine is progressive, so if you get another ticket for the same thing the fine DOUBLES. It's not impossible, just a lot of work.

Christian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the lack of info, It is a 98 DB8 w/ a 03 K20a2. As for the ticket it is not a fix it ticket it is code# 27156(b)cvc- modified air intake.
As my car sits now there is alot of vacume lines that are not conected to anything. I dont want to go through the trouble to fix it. I am going to sell it any way's. When the cop gave me the ticket he implied that they would just check my intake system, not smog the whole car. I dont think he knew what he was talking about.
I wasn't aware this was a ticket I could just pay, if that is the case I will do that.
Thank you for your input everyone. It helped alot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you have to smog your car, that's not an intake fix it ticket. It must be something else or the cops are messing with you. what is the citation number they are citing you for?

Also, my kswap is bar'd and legalized here in cali. To get it bar'd was quite a process. basiallly everything has to be hooked up as if it came stock from the dealership.
k swap bar'd and legalized in cali?

someone needs to start a thread and have a "how to" soon

·
Registered
919 Posts
k swap bar'd and legalized in cali?

someone needs to start a thread and have a "how to" soon
yes, k swap bar'd and leagalized in cali. 04 k20a2 in a 2002 civic ex.

·
Registered
417 Posts
does ur ticket have a sticker on the back saying something about state ref.? if so ur gonna need to take it to the ref to get it bar'd or pay the fine which is gonna be $360+..i heard that if u just pay the bail amount and get the same ticket next time that its double the fine...im not sure if thats 100% true or not

·
Registered
919 Posts
oh, that's why. try bar'ing it in an EG LOL
i believe r crew did it.
had to use the fuel tank and everything. crazy.
yeah, my car getting bar'd was easy.

the EG like you said will require the gas tank and everything leading all the way back up from the RSX to get it bar'd.

it's possible if you try hard enough..haha

·
Registered
138 Posts
does ur ticket have a sticker on the back saying something about state ref.? if so ur gonna need to take it to the ref to get it bar'd or pay the fine which is gonna be $360+..i heard that if u just pay the bail amount and get the same ticket next time that its double the fine...im not sure if thats 100% true or not
100% true. Fine is actually $381 :rolleyes:
Almost all JDM Honda motors can be BAR'd. Wayne from speed star has done it with a K20A. It's just about how much work you want to do. As for the OP, I think it's best to just pay it. From the sounds of it you would need the fuel tank because of the fuel return system. YES, believe it or not California cares about how your fuel gets to and from the tank. :confused:

Christian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes it does, I called and made a app. (Don't think I will be going to that thought)

$381...not bad I will just pay it.
Christian you have been alot of help, and thank you to everyone else.

-Bryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts