Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking a lot of pictures of my current EKJ road racing project and thought it was time to start a thread. We're trying some new and different things on the car.

This car has made the rounds. Perhaps some of you that have been around since the beginning of K-swaps might recognize this car.
Here is how it appeared in 2003 at the SEMA show, minus the turbo and built engine though. Rev Hard turbocharged the car the next month. Next AEM used it to develop the K-series EMS and did the tuning. We then decided a built engine was in order so we got and AEBS sleeved block with JE Pistons, Pauter Machine rods, some JDM Type R cams and RC Engineering injectors. Other sponsors helping on the car were Recaro, Progress Suspension, Thermal Exhaust, Axis Wheels and ClutchMasters.
We then shipped the car off to Sport Compact Car and let them abuse if for a month. Hasport has never been one to make pretty cars, but Sport Compact Car recognizing the importance of the K-swap featured the car on the cover.
BTW after a month of driving Sport Compact Car blew up the car a few days before the inaugural Sport Compact Car/Super Street Time Attack (now Super Lap Battle). Eric Valdez of Street Image helped us change the engine which we finished the day before the event. That evening we test drove the car and found the turbo had been damaged as well. A late evening run was made to Turbonetics, who were nice enough to sell us a new larger turbo at cost. In typical race night thrash we installed the turbo (which required some fabrication), loaded the car on the trailer and drove to Buttonwillow. Because the new turbo was larger, we spent the next morning tuning the car on the roads surrounding Buttonwillow Raceway. Eric was able to get a good enough tune so we could make the final session where the car finished 4th in Limited FWD.

Enough history, here is how the car currently looks with the V6 swap. I'm off to SEMA for the next bunch of days, but when I'm back I will post the engine installation pictures. Some good stuff coming, we originally installed the engine at the lower position and then raised it up for road racing.

brian g

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a hint of things to come on this car, here are some parts that should soon make their way on to the car.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
nv answered my own question.

·
Premium Member
19,965 Posts
what size are those tires,they look beefy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice ride... just seen/read about it in Honda Tuning. How do u like it vs the turbo k?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am interested in how the J will do in road racing. Part of me thinks it will be superb, since there is more weight on the front end, helping the rear to rotate, and part of me is just unsure, haha.

I would like to see how it does!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tires are 285/30 ZR18's, beefy is the correct adjective.

When Bernardo took the car out on the road course he was pleasantly surprised with the handling. That is why we decided to pursue the road racing build.

The car compares favorably to my supercharged CRX. The power delivery is very similar, but doesn't rev as high. I may just keep stacking nitrous on this engine to see what it can do.

brian g

·
Registered
95 Posts
The car compares favorably to my supercharged CRX. The power delivery is very similar, but doesn't rev as high. I may just keep stacking nitrous on this engine to see what it can do.

brian g
nitrous+J swap= good times.........good times

·
Registered
57 Posts
The tires are 285/30 ZR18's, beefy is the correct adjective.

When Bernardo took the car out on the road course he was pleasantly surprised with the handling. That is why we decided to pursue the road racing build.

brian g
Martinez?

One of my friends in NC has a 92-95 hatch with a J32A2 that he road races. He had to go to wider wheels/tires and 1k lb springs to make it work. That was after the first time out with it a year or so ago and I'm not sure of any changes he has made to it since.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the long pause, we're back on it. You should already know we are using the EKJ2 mounts in our V6 powered EK. These mount have two different heights you can mount the engine. At the lower height you can bolt in a 3.2 TL Type S engine and close the hood. At the higher position though you have to cut a hole in the hood. Kind of ruins the stealth effect. The TL Base model has a shorter manifold so I decided to check it out the other day when I was bolting on a new uncut hood.

The TL Base model manifold is on top and and it is about 1.4 inches shorter than the TL Type S manifold shown on bottom.

Here is a picture of the TL Type S manifold on the engine in the car.

For reference the same shot with the TL Base manifold bolted on the engine. The difference is significant.

I mounted the new hood and it wouldn't quite close so I trimmed some of the hood skeleton.

After trimming the hood I slapped it back on the car and the hood closed with room to spare. If I get a hold of some of the other manifolds I will check these for clearance as well.

Stealth mode again.

brian g

1 - 20 of 27 Posts