Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the official ”Team Prototype” thread, build up from scratch with pictures and how-to.

For those who doesn’t know this project is to be the fastest FWD N/A car in Sweden, current record is hold by the legendary “Hamed” at 12,88 with a Civic with an B18 ITR engine, I am hoping to break that time with marginal this year, since it will be more competitions this year by an Opel I think :)

2005-03-29
Since we will be starting somewhere, I will be starting with the donor car purchase.

Found a 94 EG/HB on sale with a good price, it was imported from Germany, with was a plus, since I live in Sweden and +10 years cars are often massively attacked by rust.

So on the morning I was going to take the train 190 miles to the seller, I almost missed the trains by the seconds, but arrived 4 hours later.

The seller did meet me at the train station and we drove were the car was parked, already before I take the train I have deseeded to buy the car, I have missed sever purchases before so this one I must have.

He was asking about 2700$ for the car, but already on the phone I was able to lower the prise to 2200$ and that is a barging for a 94, since it was imported from Germany the price is little lower than usual, but it’s anyway a barging.

So I walked around the car a couple of times and inspected the wheel arches for rust, it wasn’t any much rust to complain about, but all the fenders were dented and padded with plastic/sprayed, both bumper front and rear was also defective, but I didn’t care so much of that, I will repaint and fix the body in 2006.

The hood had flipped over the windscreen and smashed the glass for the pre-previous owner, so the windscreen was brand new, but the hood hasn’t been replaced so it was really trashed.

So after a while I said, “how about 2000$” with is a barging here in Sweden, almost a shame price, he said OK, Honda’s Civic EG are especially popular here in Sweden so an advertised Civic with a good price like 2000$ are gone by the hour here, they are high priced cars.

Recently sold my ITR for this project, just about one week from now, and I was able to get 22,000$ it was prepared with loots of TODA goodies, that’s why my nick is “TODA”

So now I now have a EG, I drove it home to Stockholm 190 miles and 2,5 hours later I was thinking about, this is crazy to build this project on this car, it was so nice feeling to drive it home, it felt like brand new, no saggy suspension and the chassis felt wary stiff, didn’t felt it has 87,000 miles on it, much more nice feeling in the road handling than my beater, a Legend 89.

On the way home it appeared to my thought how nice it is with automatic, and it popped up, how is I going to fix the clutch pedal, so I called one of my friends who has an parted EG body and asked if had a hydraulic clutch, you will se how I fix that in this thread later.

That’s about it for now, I can’t post pictures on the car, because this morning I ordered a brand new digital camera and a DV camcorder to documentary the project with.

I am very happy with the purchase and will post pictures on the car next Monday when I have washed it, since I work a lot for now and haven’t much spare time to fix.
And on Tuesday I will be ready to tearing apart the interior.

I also sent out 6 mails to junkyards that have CTR engines, only to wait for the quotes from them and I will order an engine.

Also tomorrow I get to my local speed shop to talk about all the stuff that I will be needed.

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Assuming ”nikos” have been done some edit on the thread, leave it as it is, even if it gets a 15 pages long or more, it’s always positive to get some feedback :p it's a record for my sponsors also.

And as I have told before this is the place if you are seeking information on K20 Swaps so pls leave it as it is.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing with a 94 hatch also. Good luck bro.

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there all!!

Mini update, have done some cleaning before i will tear it apart, better do it now.
Since it is so boring to wash and wax cars I feel eager to start doing some serious work on the car.

Tonight I will place the car on jack stands and start working.

Here are some pictures on the beauty.

F**k auto, it appeared to my mind wile I was driving the car home that it was automatic, damn didn’t think about it…..

You can se my daily driver behind, Acura Legend 89, drive with class.

The picture isn’t fair, the hood is banged up, looks like shit.

Attachments

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last minute update

Ordered the K20A just 30 min ago, after waiting and bartering with several junkyards, I called up the last junkyard that hadn’t replied to my mails.

After done some talking about the project the salesman seemed to understand that I was seriously interested in buying a engine package, and he was the nicest of all of the shops that I called so it was up to the price now, the other junkyards wasn’t willing to sell the package for under around 5000$ without gearbox, and I had 7 options of wrecked CTR in Sweden.

So the price was set to 4100$ with gearbox and complete harness, ECU and such.
So I did a great deal, must praise Johan at http://www.hedbergsbilskrot.se/ for this one, thumbs up Johan !!

Also the CTR belongs to a friend of Honda Club Sweden who rolled his car and totalled it, sad…

I will receive the package next week.

BTW Sweden should have won Euro 2004 :p

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2005-04-06
2 hour of intensive tearing down the interior, did almost finish all interior except the dashboard, will do that tomorrow.

Will post pictures when done.

Also I videotaped from the beginning, so I will do a small movie of the project and speeding up the frames like the “Benny Hill” EG/K20 Swap in 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
You are a funny guy... That language barrier is a bitch... Good luck on the project...

You can beat 12.88 :up:

:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks Good, :up:
I am doing the same swap, but i will build my car for road racing. 12.88 should not be that tough to attain. The front suspension will need help although. I like the radius armed suspension like 88-91 civic, crx, but changing the rubber bushings with 5/8 heim joints. less friction in the suspension is good. Tire shake and sloppy suspension is bad. This is more noticeable with big slicks (24.5 to 28")and when the car is really hooking-up.
Good Luck to you and your project. :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sorry to steal the thread but what are Heim joints? What bushings do they replace and where can i get them?

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2005-04-07
Almost done with removing the complete interior, the dash was a bitch to remove.
Things to be done, remove the sound damping material, remove all unnecessary brackets and such, and remove unnecessary wiring.

Must shop some tools first to do that, will se when I have time to go to the local hardware store to buy me some new tools.

When it’s done I will lift out the engine and transmission.

Need some place to stack the leftovers.

The K20 package is coming on Monday, and I have ordered axles and Hasport mounts.

Attachments

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can only spend 2-3 hours per day working on the car, so i do as much as i can.

The motor I bought from a Swedish junkyard, the down side of the EDM K20 is that its LSD less and only have 200hp and that 3,4 and 5 are different geared.

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
TODA said:
Can only spend 2-3 hours per day working on the car, so i do as much as i can.

The motor I bought from a Swedish junkyard, the down side of the EDM K20 is that its LSD less and only have 200hp and that 3,4 and 5 are different geared.
either way that k20 is going to liven that eg up quite a bit.

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2005-04-08
Did some shopping today at my local speedshop.
Clutch kit from Xtreme Clutch, some gauges, Fuelrail and FPR

Sorry for the blurry pictures, kind off hurry to get to work....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Looking good. Some one must have a credit card with a high limit... :up:

·
First in Sweden
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2005-04-10
Daily update, worked on the car for 2 hours today.
Started to remove the tar insulation with a heat gun, but after one hour I had done one side, I will take the other side tomorrow when I am day off work, Tuesday to so I can do much then.

Do someone know how to remove the last bit tar sticked to the sheet metall?? Acetone or something else??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
lol... looks similar to where i was about a month ago

no time to work on it anymore, going doing very little until mid-may when school ends :(

good luck with yours :up:

1 - 20 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.