Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have been playing with different ways to control boost, and think I have it figured out. I picked up two Bosch bypass valves, one for free from a friend and one for $20 off ebay.

So last night I decided I'll add a little fuel and crank up the boost. As soon as I got on the throttle I hit 16.3PSI at 3700 rpm and hit boost cut. I was not expecting that much boost at such a low RPM, but I like it. :) I may just need some bigger injectors though, or lower my rev limit for now. Needless to say I did not have time to fully tune last night and wanted to go play on the street. So I turned it back down to 8.5#s and ended up running a friends 98 single turbo Cobra. He got me, but I was happy just to hang with him.

Once I get this thing tuned for it's full potential at 16#'s it ought to run pretty good. With work, the holidays and a long awaited vacation coming up I probably won't have time till February though.
The plan is Fx400 Clutch, ktuned traction bars, tune for high boost and try to make it back to the track in February to get some respectable numbers out of it. Till then I'm just going to cruise and play on the street on low boost.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Out cruising around delivering Christmas gifts today and messing with the Gopro in the ole redneck civic.
I wanted to show how this thing pulls pretty decent on just 8.5PSI from a 2nd gear 3200 low RPM punch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well I tried 15#s at 60 PSI base fuel and I don't think my 190LPH fuel pump can keep up. The AFR seemed to be erratic with some 12.5-12.8 spikes with IDC at 86%.
I turned the fuel back down to 50PSI and set the boost to 12#s and the AFR was 11.5 flat through the RPM band and IDC was 80% at redline. Once I pull a little fuel it should be under 80%.

I think I will leave it on 12#s to be safe and not try to further test the limits of my fuel setup.

I have it set up to make 6#'s of boost until 40MPH then 12#'s there after. I'm using dual Bosch bypass valves($20),check valve($5) a normally closed solenoid ($40) and Kpro N20 control to make it happen.

I am going to try and make another trip to the track in a couple weeks to see what she can do with a little more boost. Not sure if the weak clutch will hold but I'll try to be easy on it and no 2nd gear drops this time.

The tune still needs some work but 35-80 MPH in under 4 seconds. Not to shabby for a low RPM 3rd gear punch.

·
Registered
769 Posts
do you have a front sway bar??? just wondering if these will work on my coupe seeing as i dont have a swaybar

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
do you have a front sway bar??? just wondering if these will work on my coupe seeing as i dont have a swaybar
Yes I have a sway bar but you shouldn't need one to bolt these bars up. The traction bars come with brackets(2nd pic above) that bolt to your control arms using the existing bolts. As long as you have your tow hooks on the front this bolt's right up where your tow hooks go and reuses the bolts.

The kit didn't even come with directions, but I managed to figure it out pretty easily. As far as adjusting them I'm not too sure. I snugged all the bolts down then twisted the rods by hand till I felt resistance, then tightened the jam nuts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I didn't have such a good day at the track. I was shooting for 11's but the car was still wheel hopping, probably due to 28 PSI in the slicks but I was scared to burn the clutch or break an axle if it dead hooked. I also need to find out if there is a way to adjust/setup these traction bars better.

Anyway I managed a [email protected] taking off at idle. Still slow but getting faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wivFuyGYqw&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just ordered an in tank Walbro 255HP. Looking to turn the boost up a little more and run some corn.

I am looking for a good deal on some PnP Id1000's, so let me know if you find one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Just because I got a supercharger sticking out the hood, doesn't mean it isn't still a grocery getter. Plus the 30MPG and the looks on people's faces never gets old. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Looks like I might be off this Sunday, so I am going to try and have the car ready for some all motor action at the Belle Rose IFO. I needed to pull the charger off to swap in the ID1000's anyway. Before I put the ID's in I am hoping to have my K-Tuned 4-1 race header on and tuned for E85 allmotor by Sunday. I made a video demonstrating how I can go from supercharged to All Motor Sport legal in about 15 minutes. Reverse the steps and I am back to supercharged.
If you have some time check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbytqZHYoE

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looks like my new K-Tuned header won't be here till Monday :(

So I decided to start tuning and getting it ready to switch to E85, but I was a little thrown off. One thing I learned while doing the supercharger setup is how restrictive a filter with small surface area can be. Before I was supercharged I used to have a 3" intake with a rather small filter on the end. Now I made a 4" with a nice big AEM dryflow filter on the end.

Looking at my old logs at WOT my MAP was reading -.5 to -.2. With this new intake I am actually seeing .2-.5 of boost. I thought my MAP might be bad, but I read one other place that it is possible/normal to see a small amount of positive pressure on the MAP with a good flowing intake on a naturally aspirated car. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this or heard of it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
those blowers really need a nice intake tract.. a long smooth intake really helps those things out. Going from your box thingy to even the stock for intake would really open up some power

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
those blowers really need a nice intake tract.. a long smooth intake really helps those things out. Going from your box thingy to even the stock for intake would really open up some power
I don't know. I'm sure there is a better way, but my current box intake makes more boost than the old one, and the charger builds 16psi instantly at low rpm.

The charger is off the car right now and I am officially running on E85.

Old puny 3" and filter(disregard the supercharger sitting on the intake manifold)

New 4"

It also occurred to me yesterday, that I have owned this car for about 2 years now and my wife had never driven it. I let her drive it for the first time yesterday. The seat is perfectly set in place for me. She can barely see over the wheel or touch the pedals. :)

While I was out trying to tune on E85 I ran into my friend Josh. He wanted to go for a ride, so I obliged.

I need some new Mickey's. They just don't stick like they used too. Still looks like we hit 0-60 in about 4.5-5.0 seconds.Not bad for all motor 11. 5 AFR and no timing advance on E85 I guess?

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=555400021158452

I need to lean it out to 12.5 and then I will try and add some timing, but so far it likes the E85. I'm still running the modified factory injectors and it idles/cruises like stock.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
K-Tuned 4-1 race header.

The primaries and collector are a 1/2 inch larger than my current header. I was told I should see noticeable gains from this and the 4-1 design compared to my current 4-2-1.

14x7 Team Dynamics. Test fitted and they just barely clear my brakes. Now I just need get the 235/60/14 and see if I will have to roll my fenders or not.

·
The Professional
1,873 Posts
Just read through the entire thread. Nice build and vids! Looks like you're getting close to where you wanna be. I wonder if adding a megaphone/reverse cone to that k-tuned header would be beneficial to a supercharged setup. Also...get that bitch on a dyno! haha

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Had the most fun ever with this car last weekend. I attended the local ArkLaTex Drift/time attack event Sunday. I couldn't get a proper set of tires in time, so I said F it and ran the drag radials and rear skinnies. Soooo much fun, but my drag radials are now slicks. lol

I am working on a video, but here are some pics for now.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Looks like an amazing time man, love your setup, keep up the good work.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts