Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Picked up a hood on my way home today. Started cutting on it and got a call from work. I was supposed to be off for a week but they offered me double pay to go back out another week. At over $1000 day I couldn't say no. Downside is I planned on working most of September amd then take off most of October, so don't expect much progress over the next month.
At least I got.the hood cut out just have to go back and clean it up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks to Isaac, looks like I might get a few days paid vacation. Since the car had been sitting for a few weeks I just couldn't resist taking it for a quick spin. This time the IAT sensor stayed planted thanks to a little gasket seal. The IAT's were not so bad and making an extra .5 psi with the sensor hole actually not leaking boost. Ambient around 82, 165F IAT at 7500 RPM, 8PSI(boost bleed/bypass wide open).

The AFR is flat from 4000-7500, but below 4000 I need to do some work. Despite the AFR being pretty fat and the ignition pulling 10deg, due to the high IAT, it actually pulls pretty good. Once I lean out that AFR and get that 10deg back with methanol injection she ought to pull real good on 8 PSI low boost.
Maybe I can make some more progress this week before I get called back out.

You can see where the timing starts to get pulled.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I made a little progress over the past couple days.

The hood is finished for now, cut, trimmed and hood pinned. Needs to be repainted, but for $50 it will do and keep me from getting tickets.

I appeared to be having some belt slip in the upper RPMs, so I picked up a 5" idler pulley with a slightly longer belt. A whole lot more belt wrap on the blower pulley and so far so good.

My tune is looking good and the car is pulling strong, even with 8-10 degrees timing pulled do to 160-170F intake temps and AFR at a rich 11.4.

The only issue I have is running a filter. My original idea was a failure, not enough surface area. With just a strip of filter element over the mouth of the supercharger it would not boost more than 1.5PSI. It could not breath. Without a filter I was seeing 8PSI at 7500 RPM.
So then I put a strip of metal screen over the SC intake. I am only seeing 7.5 PSI at 8000 RPM, so it too appears to be restricting some flow as well.
I am working on something else right now to give about 3x more surface area. It's straight MacGyverish, but hopefully it will work. If only I had a nice tig welder and some aluminum. :(

Only other thing left to do is order, install and tune the meth kit. It pulls decent in 90+ degree weather and no meth. I can't wait to see what this thing will do at the track next month in some cool weather.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a similar idea but with the blower under the manifold to hide it a bit but it only was a theory after burnin one down!

Keep it up!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had a similar idea but with the blower under the manifold to hide it a bit but it only was a theory after burnin one down!

Keep it up!
Yeah the clearance and fabrication would have been more complicated. This was so much simpler, although some may find it hideous. =p

Thanks!

Since there was a break in the rain I decided to test my new filter setup. It works! Boost is linear at aprox 1 psi per 1000 RPM topping out at 8.1 PSI at 8100 RPM.
The intake filter box I made came out decent for what it is. Wish I took pics as I made it, because I'm sure it would be good for some laughs. Some might say ghetto, but I say ingenuity. If I had a nice tig welder and material I could do the same setup in aluminum.

It started out as an orange plastic case for an easy out set I had laying around. I cut it out and painted it black. I picked up a metal mesh trash can from Ross for $3.99. I then cut out a piece to fit in the box.

I then picked up some black silk screen like material from Walmart for a 1$ and layed it over the metal mesh. I figure this will filter out some particles and better than just running the metal mesh. I used some door trim around the edges of the screen and bolted it inside the outer edge of the box. Bolted the box to the SC, closed it up and used a little gasket seal around the edges for good measure.
The finished product.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Took the car out for a cruise last night in Mexico and ran into a guy I know with a pretty fast SRT-4. He has a PTE 5831, running on E-85 and traps 120-125 depending on boost settings. Needless to say my 8 PSI with no inter-cooler or meth was not enough.
Looks like we are planning a trip to the track on October 13th for a possible import/drift event. So no official times till then, but it gives me a whole month to get the meth on and tune.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
About two weeks ago I slung the belt at the top of first gear, while attempting to race my buddies 2010 bolt-on/100shot Mustang GT. Must be in outer space because there were 5 cars behind us and no one saw or found it. Luckily I had a spare at the house.

The car was making a funky noise afterwards and I was getting frustrated. Thought about selling and buying a 350ZHR, but my wife talked to me into keeping the Honda and finishing the SC setup.
So after a two week break and some time apart, me and the civic are back together. :)

The noise turned out to be the alternator. When the belt came off it must have snagged on the alternator and bent the shaft. I picked up a used alternator from a fellow k20a member. I figured a used oem is better than a Autozone re-manufactured. I have been told they are POS.

While waiting on the alternator to be delivered I started hooking up the Cooling mist trunk mount kit. Maybe I'll have it all back together and on the road by the weekend. Also picked up a go pro, so I will be sure to get some vids.

I will say this is a easy to install and remove kit. Would be great for a factory boosted car still under warranty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After being completely useless for a week due to a shoulder injury, I finally got to make a little progress.

The new alternator is on and the car is running good in NA form, despite being on the bigger injectors and colder plugs. The fuel had been sitting in the tank for at least a couple weeks, I decided to take a cruise and get it weighed at the truck stop. I was hoping closer to 2000, but still 2140 isn't bad.

I started working on a new bigger volume/surface are intake/filter. Still kinda rigged, but it only cost me $15 and is an improvement over my previous work. If only I had a tig welder. Maybe I will pick up an extra .5 PSI.

It started as an electrical box.

I had to cut it in half for clearance issues.

Sheet metal backing and mounting brackets.

Still got a good bit of my Ross trashcan mesh.

90% Complete

Still shooting for October 13th track date, but hope to have it all together and on the road by the end of next week.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
The new intake setup works great! Making 8.5PSI now at the top of each gear.

The meth is hooked up and working good, except for a leak at the nozzle push connector. Something is up with it. It is hard to get the line back out as well.
Other than cleaning up the wiring and pulling a little fuel it should be ready to make some passes on low boost at the track.

I am running just distilled water at the moment and it seems to be working well. IAT stayed under 115 and she pulls hard all the way to 7500.
Here's a little teaser of a third gear 3000-7500 RPM, 35-80MPH pull. I had to stop at 7500 because my injector duty cycle was close to 85%. The AFR is 11.2-11.4, so once I pull a little fuel I should be good, keeping the injector duty tolerable with just water injection and low boost for now.

Gay ass windows movie maker kept messing the audio up. I had to create a audio file first then overlay it to get it to sync up when I published. PITA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQBHg09a6k&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It's sad that I ran the same ET before I put the supercharger on, but it works and has potential. I just need to work on a few things and then we'll try again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
4 BAR MAP sensor and high boost solenoid ordered just now.

Ready to see what she can do at full boost. I estimate it should make 12PSI +/- 10% and maybe pick up another 35-45whp.
Here is the solenoid I ordered.
http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=2WJ20020KN

It will be normally open and attached to the current boost bleed in the charge pipe. Using Kpro I will have it close at WOT above 3500 RPM and above 40mph. It will open once I let off the gas or shift gears doubling as an electronic BOV. So 7-8PSI max in 1st gear then 11-12PSI max in 2nd-6th.

I'd like to try and get a couple more passes out of my dying clutch on Nov 10, then maybe upgrade the fuel pump and throw a 35-50 shot at it. At some point I need to upgrade the clutch to actually be able to launch at the track, but I'll probably wait till after the Holidays. I'll try launching at idle then work my way up till it slips and no more second gear drops. :thud:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hooked up the solenoid but no bueno. :megusta:

I didn't realize it till after I drove down the road and went WOT, but this solenoid is too restrictive. Hit 7.5PSI at 3000 RPM and 10.3PSI(boost cut) at 6000 RPM with the solenoid in the open position. AFR spiked to 13.0 with 17 deg timing, but luckily I hit the boost cut.

Motor seems fine, but could have been bad. So looks I need to run dual solenoids to bleed enough boost.

If I get it working properly based off today's mishap, I should see over 13 PSI with the solenoids closed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Gopro street footage. The car is perfectly streetable. Been cruising all over town and even got a fresh inspection sticker today(not very strict here in Louisiana).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks^

I am currently working on a boost by gear setup using a wastegate and Hondata boost control solenoid. 4psi 1st, 8psi 2nd, 12psi+ in 3rd and up. I'll post pics and further info in the next couple weeks if all goes well.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts