Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Just got my car fired up for the first time.
Heres the details:
-EG
-Stock K24A
-RBB manifold
-Koyo rad
-Brand new thermostat and housing
-Permacool fan
-No fan switch, set up to run fan via K-Pro

i let it idle for about 10min and felt the upper rad hose and it didnt have any heat to it at all. Felt the rocker cover and it was extremely hot. Switched the car off and noticed the temp gauge was on HOT.

I quickly got the laptop out and hooked up K-manager and the temp was upto 170 F!

For some reason the fan hadn't come on. When i switch the car off and then turn it to ON the fan will then come on. I have it wired up so that K-Pro will force it on at 190 F. When the temp dropped below this it switched off. When i start the car back up the temp quickly rises above that, yet the fan wont kick in whilst the cars running. Anyone know why? I opened the radiator cap and the water was stone cold. Even after the excessive temp.

So basically i want to know if anyone can help me with the following:

1. Why isn't my thermostat opening to allow coolant flow? Do you think it could also be a water pump problem here?
2. Why my fan only kicks in after turning the car off and then switching it back to ON, and not working whilst car is running?
3. how bad a thing is it that my car reached 270 F?

4. is it a bad thing if one of my fuel fittings has a small weap?

5. Also, i had a fault code come up which said:
CNK Sensor - No Signal.
Anyone know what the problem is here?? I thought i rewired the plug correctly, maybe i havnt

6. Here is a screenshot i took after i let the car cool down and started it up again for a little bit until the temp again rised up (no fan, no coolant flow).
Do these figures look right? It seems to be a high idle i think.

Thanks so very much for any help as i'm a bit concerned about these issues and am looking forward to getting my car running right!

Paul

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

I think i have air in my cooling system. So i will check that one out.

But anyone with some wiring knowledge know why the fans not kicking in?
And i'm wondering if the numbers on the print-screen are normal and whether a small weap on a fuel fitting is bad and needs replacement or if it would be ok?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The way temp. is fluctuating around I'd guess that there is definately air in the cooling system. Do you have the B/D fanswitch wired in, with an adapter in the lower hose.

You really shouldn't just rely on KPro to turn the fan on. That is more of a safety feature.

Also any big/small fuel leak should be repaired.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way temp. is fluctuating around I'd guess that there is definately air in the cooling system. Do you have the B/D fanswitch wired in, with an adapter in the lower hose.

You really shouldn't just rely on KPro to turn the fan on. That is more of a safety feature.

Also any big/small fuel leak should be repaired.
Hey Mike,
I don't have the B/D fan switch hooked up, my coolant sensor is in the water outlet port (where IACV usually hooks up on a K24A). Just the K-pro controlling the fan.
I'm wondering if the fan will kick in once the coolant flow issue is resolved as it works fine when the cars not running. Its very odd.

I definately need to bleed the cooling system first up and see how i go from there.

I'll be sure to get a new fuel fitting also. I'll pull the current leaking ones off and check they are hooked up correctly. It seems to be leaking from the swivel part, not where i tighten up the nuts.

Does that seem to be a high idle?? Or is it normal. I dont have any coolant running to my IACV/TB. I also didnt hook up the optional wire on the hybrid pnp (brake light one i think it was, cant remember).. I remember it mentioned having no affect apart from a change in idle speed.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
most likely you have air in your cooling system, i set friend's eg allowing k-pro to control the fan for a few months now & never had an issue & soon will have a another one allowing k-pro controlling the fan too but later on will get an ep radiator with a dual fan to allow a fan switch control one fan & k-pro to control the second fan on this car. but also have a 3rd one for almost 2 years running with a fan switch.
i like the fan switch but k-pro does the job well too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses so far. The car's been stressing me out and i dont have any support local, have to work it out myself. So i'm really glad theres a few people on here helping.

I jacked the front right up. Put a funnel in the rad, taped it down to the filler neck and topped it right up so it was well and truly the highest point. I then ran the car... it was sucking in and out a little (about an inch).. Hopefully this is just the air coming out of the system. It was unsuccessful though as before i knew it the coolant just started pouring out of the cap of the overflow tank and leaking from the tape around the funnel and rad. I ran out of coolant after making a huge mess everywhere all over the ground.

I had the car running no longer than 5 mins, i checked inside and the temp was already upto 220 F so i shut it down. Fan hadnt kicked in again, but after i turned the key to "ON" after shutting down, the fan then once again kicked in.

Also, my car surges every now and then, its as if its being starved of fuel.. it sounds like its gonna die, then all of a sudden has a huge rev and keeps idling, sometimes it doesnt rev up and dies. Anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Another thing, when i have the car set to "ON" the fuel pressure is at about 50-53psi, it then drops down to 20psi at a reasonable rate takes about 1min, then slowly back down to 0psi (about 10min). Is this normal?

I'm really starting to get worried about this all as im not experienced with this and it's my first swap. If i cant get it worked out i dont know what i'm going to do. There is no support where i am with this kind of swap and i dont know what to do about it currently.

The way i have my fan setup is like this, i possibly have the wiring wrong somewhere, im trying to think it through but its got me confused:
-Coolant temp sensor in water outlet
-Coolant temp sensor wired to appropriate hybrid pnp harness wire labelled "Coolant Sending Unit"
-Hybrid pnp harness wire labelled "fan switch" spliced to C101 plug slot 7
-BLK/RED wire from underhood fusebox (negative fan relay side) spliced to the positive wire on my permacool fan. (Is this correct???)
-Other permacool wire hooked upto earth.

Now, i dont know what the problem is here. Is this all wired up right? Surely someone knows.

I really dont know what to do to get everything running correctly. I'm beginning to get disheartened already.

Tomorrow or on the weekend i will go buy some more coolant and try the trick where you pull the upper hose off and fill it and keep squeezing the hose and hold your hand over the radiator opening. That is unless someone can give me any better ideas?

Any assistance anyone can give is good assistance and will help a tonne.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just use water for now until its running the way you want it. the fan sounds like its wired wrong as it comes on when your switch to ACC.

jack the car up again. fill it up with water. let it sit. check the level. top up. fill reservoir and have it level with the top tank. undo a coolant hose somewhere to act as a "bleeder". when water comes out pop the hose back on.

pics would help also. stop starting the car. constant overheating of the car is not good. this isnt a swap related issue, rather a wiring and installation issue. any known auto-electrican can help. i would re-relay the fan and have the temp switch as a trigger. you might have to revert to the B/D series fan switch and coolant sensor.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Lucid.

I just traced my wires and compared them to the manual diagram... To me it seems right.. This is how mine is setup:

Now, the only thing i dont know, is how the ECU gets its temp???
Is it via the Coolant Temp Sensor, because i remember Froth commenting that this sensor is solely for sending a signal to your gauge. Is so, how does the ECU get its temp?

I dont see anything wrong with my setup. Also, Lucid.. My fan doesnt work on "ACC". It works on "ON", but only after ive switched the running car off, then select "ON". It does not make sense, as it should be getting the same power when its running, its in the same position. I'm thinking possibly if i resolve this coolant flow/air in system issue, then maybe the fan prob may go away...

I'd love to know whats up with it lol.

Here's my setup, i think for now when running the car i will jump a wire from the fan straight to a power source so its running the whole time, then ill turn it off after i switch the car off.. Just temporarily for when i need to run the car.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Paul, and others using KPro to turn on your fan, please read Hondata's fan switch recommendations in the link below:

http://www.hondata.com/techk20swapfan.html

Paul, if the coolant is bubbling and throwing out of the rad all over the place, it is an indication of air in the system. Try to pour coolant in slowly and smoothly it can minimize trapped air.

The ecu gets the temp from the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp.) sensor in the head.
Your gauge gets the reading off the small single wire sensor, which you added.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts