Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and for that matter the Honda world. I bought a 2002 CRV for my 16 year old son and it needs some work. It needs a head gasket and will be getting the head rebuilt as well (leaking valve stem seals). While I have the head off, is there any other common wear items that I should replace?
I am replacing the water pump and thermostat. That said, was curious if there is a preferred aftermarket supplier of parts or is OEM the preferred part(s)? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the comments. Curious if the pensioner on these engines are known to fail or if there is anyway to tell if the one I have is good or bad?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,758 Posts
...Curious if the pensioner on these engines are known to fail or if there is anyway to tell if the one I have is good or bad?
If you talk about tensioner of the timing chain (TCT), OEM parts are most reliable as long as you run OEM conditions and OEM parts. If the engine has e.g. huge cams, the stress on the TCT increases in most cases massively, especially when redline contact happens often. There are aftermarket TCT's available, who are advertised to be stronger. I am not sure, I neither tested it nor I have seen fair comparison validation tests. To get to the point, you should decide yourself if the OEM is enough for you. Anywhere in future it has to be replaced anyway.

Sorry for not having a better answer, but endurance runs for TCT's are never fair as no one did test it under same conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I prefer oem, but if you are going aftermarket to save costs and don’t think you will drive the car for another 100k miles than DNJ and Felpro make decent head gaskets. I rebuild Honda engines if you need any help. Other than machine shop work I can rebuild a whole other engine to swap out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stick with OEM Honda parts and you'll be fine and trouble free! But since its apart, make sure and change the chain and the tensioner, i think it comes in the kit together. Then your good for another 150k

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally getting back on this project. I had purchased what I thought was an OEM tensioner off of Ebay. After comparing my original tensioner to this one I bought, I think this one might be a knock-off. The one that came off the engine doesn't have any writing on it and the casting marks are very clean. Does an OEM tensioner have any writing on it at all? Here is the link to the one I bought. I don't want to mess around with timing components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts