Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Popping in and out of vtec

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  hoodmekanik@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
ive got another problem with my k20... i never had this problem before but just until 1 week ago... now when i hit the gas when i shift into any gear after 1st... it pops in and out of vtec...

oil pressure is good...
oil level is up there...
all the sensors are connected...
i just replaced the spark plugs today with bosch platnium +4

tomorrow im pulling out the vtec solinoid... to clean it... and changing the oil.... motor only has 5500miles....

#6 ·
First off get rid of those crappy ass platinum4's

check the spool valve(vtec solenoid) connectors for any dirt/corrosion when you remove it to check the filter.

#9 ·
i dont have kpro which is my only downfall... but im trying to save for it im running a prc ecu...

today i went out its clear out ... and i got on it and it was great 1-4th gear... i was driving around for like a hr... and i downshifted into 3rd gear and slowly reved it out and at 6k it pops vtec but its like holding back till bout 6500-7000k then it pulls hard... never had this issue before ... this is very new to me...

#15 ·
Definitely change the plugs out for some NGK's just to make sure. Ive seen these plugs make an engine pur like a kitten while others, that were $20-$40 more, would make the car run like shit. Im not saying this is the problem but just eliminate it to be sure. Next I would check all your grounds and make sure they are nice and tight and you have at least 3, one on the timing chain cover and two on the trans. Try those two things and let me know what happens.

Parker

#17 ·
#18 ·
I bet there is an issue with the PRC ECU and the oil pressure switch. USDM switch is linear and the PRC is programmed to utilize a simple on and off switch. A PRC ECU is the worst one to use in a swap with a USDM engine, even Kpro'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.