Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
15,815 Posts
ok you have 2 options.

You can use the idler pulley out of the Ep3.

If you use the 4 pulley setup with the ep3 idler pulley
it will look like this

the part numbers for that are
the part numbers for the pulley are:

pulley 31190-PRA-000
bracket 31175-PRA-000
washer 31185-PCX-003
bolt 90031-PRA-000

belt 5070505 from kragen

your other choice is to use a 3 pulley setup without the idler pulley.

In that setup you have to use

belt from dayco MODEL 5070390 from advance auto parts

and a AEM pulley for the Civic Si Ep3 or RSX (The rsx set comes with 2 pulleys and the CIvic Si comes with one, the one you need so if you buy the AEM RSX set you will have an extra pulley you cannot use.

Here's how it looks

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Which setup is best?

With the larger alternator pulley, it will cause the altenator to make more revolutions, i don't see that being good for voltage output.

The top one looks like the way to go but more costly?

Are the belts easy to replace to say if you broke one in the middle of the road and needed to fix it fast.

Thinking allowed here, any other comments?

·
Banned
15,815 Posts
drhonda said:
Which setup is best?

With the larger alternator pulley, it will cause the altenator to make more revolutions, i don't see that being good for voltage output.

Are the belts easy to replace to say if you broke one in the middle of the road and needed to fix it fast.

The 4 pulley setup might be a little bit cheaper

Here are some discounted prices from acura

pulley 31190-PRA-000 $23.78
bracket 31175-PRA-000 $42.04
washer 31185-PCX-003 $5.40
bolt 90031-PRA-000 $1.5

As far as the alternator revolutions....

I have to sleep on that :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
A larger alternator pully would cause the alternator to turn slower. This is why these companies make them bigger for racing. This way your voltage output will be more nomal during high RPM operations. it also gives the engine a mechanical advantage over the alternator making it a bit easyer to turn ( I doubt you could measure gains on a dyno, but you never know). :wink:

One question though, How is the belt tensioned with the three pully setup? Do you have to shim out the alternator with washers or something. Now that I think about it, I don't know wich pully tensions the belt in the 4 pully setup either. Any light on this would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
24 Posts
there are places that sell high quality belts at almost any length.
i bet you could get a smaller belt to run only on the alternator.

for some strange reason, my alternater belt on my b18cr was too big, even from acura.... i got a napa belt about a half inch shorter i think, and it has been running fine for about 9 months.

·
Registered
599 Posts
drhonda said:
Which setup is best?

The top setup is the best, it provides the best belt tension. When the belt begins to stretch like it always does the spring loaded tensioner keeps it tight.

brian g

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.