Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was idling in the drive through yesterday when my car bogged down and starting running terrible, so I pull into a parking spot and scan it. Got a P1362 code for camshaft position sensor no signal. Checked the sensor and it looked fine. Cleared the code with my scanner and tried to start the car. Ran for 4 secs then died. Rough idle and backfire. What should I look into next to solve this problem. Checked timing and the cams are showing maybe a tooth off when the crank is TDC.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you recently serviced this engine? If not, when was the last time the timing components were inspected/replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed the oil the day I bought the car, drove it 3 days then this happened. Thinking chain stretched. The owner said he didn’t replace the chain.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,611 Posts
How many miles? I've seen a K go to 280k before timing chain issues. I've also seen issues as early as 200k.
Yeah, on race engines you can observe 10 °ca stretched chains way before 200k. The more engine speed over time, the more load on the chain. A 12.000 rpm K-series land speed (5 miles) engine would routinely checked after less then 50 miles of speeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, on race engines you can observe 10 °ca stretched chains way before 200k. The more engine speed over time, the more load on the chain. A 12.000 rpm K-series land speed (5 miles) engine would routinely checked after less then 50 miles of speeding.
How many miles? I've seen a K go to 280k before timing chain issues. I've also seen issues as early as 200k.
Has 208,000 miles on engine. The idle seemed low to me once warmed up when I bought it. Three days later the car bogged down and ran rough then threw the Camshaft position sensor no signal code. Checked the sensor and didn’t look burnt or bad. Tried starting it again and it ran like crap for 10 secs then shutoff. Bought a timing kit to redo timing and to compare chains and see if the original one stretched. I’m hoping since it was at idle when it did this it that it didn’t bend any valves. I’ve seen K20’s go 4 teeth out before and not bend anything. Praying I’m good.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Likely jumped time. If I were a betting man I'd say it probably didn't jump enough to bend valves but who knows. I bought an RSX-S with a broken timing chain, no bent valves. Anything is possible :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Facts anything is possible! Hope this timing kit fixes it she purrs again

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,611 Posts
...it didn’t bend any valves.
To get sure you should leakdown test it. A bended valve would be seen in the leakage directly...sort of :D. I assume the stock engine has around 3.5 mm piston to valve clearance at 50 VTC, which relates to 25° VTC. Not sure how many teeth this are. Maybe you can measure it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Redid timing everything lined up, still rough idle and p1362 TDC sensor no signal. Is a TDC sensor on these cars the camshaft position sensor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Redid timing everything lined up, still rough idle and p1362 TDC sensor no signal. Is a TDC sensor on these cars the camshaft position sensor
It uses the crank sensor to check TDC with the cam position sensors.
So you have replaced the tensioner and the chain and the cars doing the same ?

I would replace the crank sensor to make sure it's not that i know that you can unplug that sensor and the car will still start but run rough like you have explained.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,611 Posts
Is a TDC sensor on these cars the camshaft position sensor
It uses the crank sensor to check TDC with the cam position sensors.
Yes, the exhaust cam gear counter side, the small 4 marker wheel behind the TDC sensor and the crank signal are used by the ECU to determine TDC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts