Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want a quick sanity check before I start throwing parts (and $$$) at the issue. I attempted to start my engine in my swap yesterday. Engine is a 2008 K24A2 with ~125k (according to the junkyard....) on it. Only items I touched on the engine apart from seals was the timing chain/tensioner and oil pump (replaced stock with RSX Type S). I didn't disable some secondary functions before starting, so some failures were expected, however the only unexpected failure was the P0341 code.

Based off my understanding, the most likely culprit is either me setting time incorrectly (possible), VTC solenoid, or VTC actuator. The crank pulley mark and horizontal timing marks on the camshafts do line up, so I don't think I messed up in setting time. However, the camshaft alignment pin doesn't line up on the sensor sprocket side on the intake cam. Since this is the case when the engine is off, to me this seems to be an issue with the actuator instead of the solenoid.

Does my thinking make sense? Or is there something I should check before buying a new actuator? this is the first time I've really dug into one of these engines, so I'm questioning everything I do... Is the VTC actuator something that tends to go bad?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Send pictures of timing marks?

I bought a CRV that threw the same code. Checked timing and it was off a tooth. Fixed it but still had the code. Doubted my work for a few days before deciding to replace the intake cam position sensor with a spare I had on hand. Turned out the previous owner saw the fault and replaced the sensor with a cheap parts store replacement trying to fix it not realizing it was out of time. Put an OEM one in and haven't had the code since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looked at it again, the marks on the camshaft don't match the crank pulley, looks like I was blind yesterday. ECU is showing 107 degrees of advance... Looks like I set timing wrong. No way I'm accessing the chain case with the engine in the car, so it's coming out again I guess. Hoping I didn't bend a valve...

EDIT: That said, I still wonder if something isn't up with the VTC system. Can anyone provide some insight? I've attached a picture of the cams from both sides of the camshaft, as well as the crank pulley. The more I think about it I'm just at a loss. the marks on the cam gears line up, and while the crank pulley mark is slightly off, it's only by a degree or two, not near enough to have the engine off by 107. The intake cam alignment hole can't be seen in the picture, however the exhaust is pretty much lined up.

EDIT 2: Timing may be slightly off, but unless I'm looking at this wrong, it's not anywhere close to being 107 degrees off... Unless I just don't understand timing, Camshafts look off by less that 45 degrees on the sensor side, barely off at all according to timing marks on cam gears and crank pulley. I'll be dropping the engine out of the car tomorrow so I can retime it, probably will take the intake cam out to inspect the VTC gear. Any ideas are appreciated

20200615_183201.jpg 20200615_183139.jpg 20200615_183110.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can't comment on the sensor side but the actual timing marks on the crank and cams looks good. I definitely wouldn't be pulling the engine. I'll see if I can find anything else in the service manual for the sensor side tomorrow morning.

You can replace the timing chain/tensioner with the engine in, it's just a pain. Basically the same on any k series in any car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in a MRS. I can't get the crank pulley off with the engine in the car. There's just not enough room to fit the removal tool, much less the socket. I'm starting to wonder if I did something dumb like putting the crank pulser on backwards... Maybe that, combined with whatever is going on with my intake cam may be causing the strange cam angle reading? I'm pretty sure if my timing was actually advanced 107 degrees I'd have put a valve through a piston....

Fingers crossed I don't have a bent valve. It's not gone into VTEC since I timed it the first time, so maybe I'll get lucky. Definitely checking compression again before running it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's in a MRS.
Apologies, assumed it was an RSX.

After a little searching I found the below pic, at TDC the sensor side should look like this. Looks like the intake camshaft is off for whatever reason. Guessing either the VTC gear is bad or maybe the key that holds it in place on the camshaft has been sheared off? I guess it could be the actual CMP plate that's off too, it is also held in place with a key. If you want to only remove the camshaft you can do so with the engine in the car as long as you can get to the chain tensioner behind the black cover above the crank pulley.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having replaced my VTC actuator everything looked fine until it wouldnt start , turned out the dowel pin in the camshaft got pushed in and was off quite a bit. Be sure when installing a VTC actuator its all the way in before starting the bolt as that will push it in and its very hard to get back out!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just want a quick sanity check before I start throwing parts (and $$$) at the issue. I attempted to start my engine in my swap yesterday. Engine is a 2008 K24A2 with ~125k (according to the junkyard....) on it. Only items I touched on the engine apart from seals was the timing chain/tensioner and oil pump (replaced stock with RSX Type S). I didn't disable some secondary functions before starting, so some failures were expected, however the only unexpected failure was the P0341 code.

Based off my understanding, the most likely culprit is either me setting time incorrectly (possible), VTC solenoid, or VTC actuator. The crank pulley mark and horizontal timing marks on the camshafts do line up, so I don't think I messed up in setting time. However, the camshaft alignment pin doesn't line up on the sensor sprocket side on the intake cam. Since this is the case when the engine is off, to me this seems to be an issue with the actuator instead of the solenoid.

Does my thinking make sense? Or is there something I should check before buying a new actuator? this is the first time I've really dug into one of these engines, so I'm questioning everything I do... Is the VTC actuator something that tends to go bad?
Firstly Congrats on the MRK i have one myself :)

If that is all you have changed it's possible that the timing is out.
VTC,VTEC solenoid if faulty the car would still start at least so i think it could be timing check if you locked the chain pulley into place on the crank sometimes it moves out of it's locking place when doing timing.Your timing will never be accurate if thats not locked, they have a habit of breaking off as well if it was not fitted correctly.
It's possible that the vtc gear could be faulty but i do not think it would prevent the car from starting.
I have changed my chain on my MR2 with the motor in place there should be enough place todo it. Just jack the car up
put the rear on stands remove the wheel on tat side to access the pulley from the bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts