Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to pull my transmission out well the shafts and the stupid snap ring is holding it but in order to get the snap ring removed there is like a 32 mm hex nut in the way did anyone get this out probably but do you guys know any tricks in getting that stupid thing off?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i actually made my own tool for this. i think its a 14mm bolts head fits in there tightly. maybe 17 dont remember. i welded said bolt to a long bolt for leverage. used it for more than a few trannys now , lol. works great. once you get it off youl need snap ring pliers as well. make sure the ball and spring bolts are out before seperating the case. make sure the reverse shaft bolt is out too. if its an 05-06 tranny , make sure you take the VSS sensor out before seperating the case.

·
HONDA HEAVEN RIP
2,754 Posts
i bought the socket from autozone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe you need a 14mm. There is a Harbor Freight by me and they had allen socket sets with up to 17mm or something like that for $10. I bought one of those. Before I found that though, I was planning on putting the head of a 14mm bolt in there and putting two nuts on the shaft of the bolt. By tightening the nuts together, you can put pressure on the bottom one to loosen the plug and the top nut will keep the bottom one in place on the bolt shaft. That plug didn't take too much pressure to remove, so it should work.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
the 2 nuts idea wont work i tried , haha. busted the lincoln out instead , lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I believe you need a 14mm. There is a Harbor Freight by me and they had allen socket sets with up to 17mm or something like that for $10. I bought one of those. Before I found that though, I was planning on putting the head of a 14mm bolt in there and putting two nuts on the shaft of the bolt. By tightening the nuts together, you can put pressure on the bottom one to loosen the plug and the top nut will keep the bottom one in place on the bolt shaft. That plug didn't take too much pressure to remove, so it should work.
thats what i got. harbor freight is good for tools that will see minimal use.

·
Registered
447 Posts
just finished pulling the trans apart. definitely a good learning experience. do the springs get stuck in the bolts? thought i lost the springs or someone took them out only to find them stuck in the bolt shaft. putting the case together seemed harder than taking it apart. any tricks to pulling out the gears and forks so that they can be put back easier? i pulled them out at once. i lined up the forks on the clutch side but when putting the case on i had a hard time aligning things. but eventually with patience it went all came together.

·
Registered
445 Posts
ok this is how ya do it, lol you take the long starter bolt, flip it head side down put the wrench on it and then put the head in the hole it gives you enough to have grip in the hole and grip for your wrench and then you go to town. i found this trick out of desperation one night at the shop, no welder... no extra cash...no trip to the store, or waiting on the tool truck to show up...

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you ever used them cheap hex lugnuts that comes with the aftermarket wheels, they usually come with a key that is 14mm and you can use it to remove that large nut on the tranmission case. You can use that key with your oem Honda lugnut wrench just like removing your wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts