Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Omar, some info about me. I am 24 years old I live in Salt Lake City, Utah , I work with computers for a living. I enjoy going out to eat, playing video games and working on cars(sometimes). I drive a 1997 Honda Integra Sir-G, a 2000 Honda Civic LX and a 2000 Acura RL. This thread is a build thread for my Integra; I got this car on 10/18/2010. This is my first build thread ever so I might be documenting too much or too little, all positive or negative comments/feedback are more than welcomed and encouraged. The car is currently going through an engine rebuild, but i want to show the process of how the car arrived to where it is now.

Pics
When I first purchased the car

Car was 100% stock except for a personal steering wheel. Overall the car was in pretty good shape, body needed a small amount of TLC and the paint had lost its clear coat, and it was fading pretty bad on the roof...but for the most part i was super excited about my new purchase

The original plan for this car was that this Integra would be my DD while I built my RL. Less than a month later I got a good deal on some sprint springs/rota wheels and a rear lip kit.
The addiction began…

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Random shot of my car while I was doing my first modifications to it

For a while I did not do anything to the car, I just enjoyed driving my new daily in all types of weather

New Years eve, my clutch decided to go belly up. Ordered a replacement exedy clutch, called a friend and replaced the old clutch on a weekend.
Old clutch

About a month after the clutch was replaced. Someone at work backed up into my car and did not say a thing to me :cry:

I had to put my detective had on and look at the security cameras, I was able to find out who hit my car. Lady mentioned that her brother in law had a body shop and the he could fix my car if we did not get insurance involved…I decided to go with the insurance route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, the first transformation of my car

I got my insurance check and got more money than expected so I started looking for other car parts I could buy, I came across a good deal on a carbon fiber hood and ITR headlights. I also picked up some 949 wheels from a friend and found a ITR replica wing on sale from a local Honda enthusiast

The wheels were powder coated some sort of silver with red sparkle, even though I was a fan of this color I really wanted my car to stand out and scream for attention so I decided to powder coat a different color.
Since I had some money saved up and still had a little bit of money from insurance I decided to repaint my whole car.; I really wanted to paint my car before an annual event in Utah called the Utah Honda’s spring meet. This meet keeps growing and growing, last year it had over 500 cars. It’s kind of the kickoff event to start the season in Utah so I wanted to get my car ready for it. Royal Repairs was my first choice when it came to a repair/paint shop, sadly though they were too busy and could not guarantee my car would be done by the time of the meet so I went to another body I had gone to before.
After waiting for what seemed to be the longest week ever, I got my car back

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soon after the car was painted a friend wanted to do a photo-shoot and of course I said yes

At this point I was pretty happy with my car, ive always been a fan of “simple and clean” cars, but I was feeling like my interior needed some love. So I started looking and picked me up some Recaro seats and a new stereo

A friend of mine mentioned that he had a set of OEM replica side skirts and rear valances from his old integra, and he hooked me up with a good deal so I decided to buy them, paint them and slap them on.

Seeing as how I live in Utah and the Miller Motorsport Racing track is only 45 minutes away from my house I decide to try my luck at a local event called Wide Open Wednesdays. WOW is nothing big, but it is a nice way to get your toes get without forking out large amounts of cash to play on the track.

My new paint job did not stay fresh for long; I got sideswiped by the truck on the freeway. It was what I would call my first car accident, the damage was not that bad, but it was still pretty scary. The damage was not bad at all and the guy that hit was really nice about the whole thing, but I had to start talking to insurance companies again

Two crappy shots of the damage to my car

Ill end here for today, be back Wednesday with more updates

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After talking to insurance companies again, I was lucky enough to have some extra cash again, so I decided to once again change something on my car. This time I decided to go with something that I personally thought would set my car apart from most other Hondas in Utah. I was able to purchase a set of 4x114 Gab Sport Wheels, and complete 1996 ITR suspension from a good friend locally. Said friend also happened to have a BYS bumper and I could not help that opportunity so I made him an offer, and he accepted it.

Painted/slapped on the BYS bumper and did a quick photoshoot before switching over to the new wheels

Random Picture of the wheel box(first time using the panoramic app) I sucked

Wheels after some fresh powder coat, I believe the color is “wet white”

While I was cleaning the trunk of my car I found my ubber JDM spare tire, thought it was kind of cool

Shot of the rear 96 ITR LCA’s, at first they threw me off…I did not know that 96 ITR’s LCA’s were so different than most Hondas I was used to

First pictures of my car with the new wheels/suspension setup. Fenders needed to be pulled a bit in the front, but overall I was very happy with the look.

Ive always been a huge fan of the Mugen Gen 2 rear spoiler for integras, I had a really hard time finding a clean one under 1k, a friend mentioned that he had a knockoff one that I could have for free. Im not a huge fan of faking the funk, but the wing was free and I figured it would do until I found a good deal on the real one, so I picked it up and took it to the shop.

This is how my car turned out at the end

My Integra next to my RL

I must say at this point I was pretty happy about my car, imo it was complete but every time I popped the hood something just did not feel/look right

This could no longer be, I needed to add something in my engine bay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said before the engine bay had to change, I stumbled upon a k24/k20 setup that a friend was selling. We talked for a bit and came up with a deal. I started saving up some pennies and picked up a new motor for my Integra.

The motor came with a few extras
Skunk2 intake manifold
Skunk 2 70mm throttle body
SSR header
DSS axles
Apex 3in exhaust

The empty engine bay

I had never attempted a kswap before and to be completely honest I did not trust myself doing some of the work that would be necessary, mostly the wiring and cutting a whole in my car for the shiftbox…so I took my car to a local shop to get the work done. Since my car was going to be up on jack stands for a couple of weeks I took this time to do some more upgrades. I ordered new rear LCA’s and a new rear subframe brace and a set of Raceland coilovers.

Installing the new suspension parts

Within a couple of weeks my car was done, I could not wait to drive it.

The finished product

In case anyone is wondering what I look like

Im the guy that is struggling to hold the hood of my car up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove my car as much as I could for the summer of 2012, I’ve always said that if I built a car i would actually drive it, no point in having a garage queen. Another reason why I drove it everywhere is because I really wanted to show people that not all Hondas are “cheap/ghetto machines”. Here are some pics of that summer

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Sadly I had some bad luck with my integra during that same summer. I was parked in downtown Utah and my car popped out of gear and backed into another car

To make things worse a few weeks later, the K motor blew. Long story short, I ran the car without coolant on the freeway…the car suddenly started smoking so I immediately turned the engine off and pulled over. I got out of my car, popped the hood and the radiator was smoking bad. I let the engine cool a bit, poured some water into the radiator and tried to start the car…no luck
I called a friend for help, he helped me push the car off the freeway and we left it in a neighborhood nearby. I decided to not deal with it for that day anymore.
The next day I asked a friend to let me borrow his jeep and rented a flatbed from Uhaul

After doing research i believed that my head was "warped' so i called a friend over and we removed the head

The head resurfaced and clean

After that the car did start up...but i heard a knock :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

^^^video link to the knock of my car

I believed that my timing on valves/cams could be off, so once again i called some friends over and we started to work. As luck would have it, that did not fix my knocking issue

Even though I was upset that my car was not running at the moment I saw this as an opportunity to make my car better…stay tuned for my rebuild progress

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
love the car dude! and i love how the Gabs look on there! they've always been one of my favorite wheels! that's a bummer about the engine :( now is the time to have some fun with it and make it a monster!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
love the car dude! and i love how the Gabs look on there! they've always been one of my favorite wheels! that's a bummer about the engine :( now is the time to have some fun with it and make it a monster!
I feel the same way about the wheels, there is also not very many people that use GAB wheels here in Utah. I dont if i would consider the car a monster once it is done, but it will be a more "balanced" build

TEG is Niceeee i like !! ..looking forward to see what you have planned for it:like:
Thanks, i just need to save up some more money and it needs to get warmer in so i can start working on the car

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seeing as how the k motor was having issues, I decided to do a complete car rebuild. A couple of friends were parting out their cars and I saw this as an opportunity to collect some new car parts. First on the new parts list is a Rywire Millspec harness and some TWM ITB’s for my K swap. Soon after I picked up a 6 piston Wilwood BBK, stainless steel brake lines, hybrid racing radiator, hybrid racing radiator hoses, hybrid racing t-clamps, Hardrace front camber kit, Hardrace rear camber kit, Hardrace rear toe kit and a TunerView2

Buying all these parts have left me broke for a little bit(plus im really trying to bag my RL this summer), so im going to need some more pennies before the integra gets any more parts…but for now it is time to start working on the car. First thing I wanted to do was just test fit the BBK, I knew it would not fit because it came a 4x100 setup, but I wanted to make sure that the caliper would mount on(which it did). Next I installed the front camber kit and rear camber/toe kit)

comparing the old next to the new

Caliper fits :)

Rotor on the other hand

front camber kits

mounted on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts