Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what tranny am i going to need to run with amy fully built k20a2? should be running 25psi and around 500whp? currently have a type S 6 speed. should i keep it? i wa told that i should run the EP3 5 speed, but no information is certain. let me know, i need help

·
Banned
513 Posts
I've just finished my build with everything except I'm running honed stock sleeves and am going to use a 6-speed. If you look,the all-motor insight is running a 6-speed with quaife, and you also don't want to fall out of v-tec.
Mmmm v-tec, I was running an A3 (fake v-tec) in my Ep and this weekend I'm dropping my built A2 in Mmmmm!

·
Registered
31 Posts
A2gt35r said:
I've just finished my build with everything except I'm running honed stock sleeves and am going to use a 6-speed. If you look,the all-motor insight is running a 6-speed with quaife, and you also don't want to fall out of v-tec.
Mmmm v-tec, I was running an A3 (fake v-tec) in my Ep and this weekend I'm dropping my built A2 in Mmmmm!
I seriously doubt he will have a problem falling out of V-tec with 25 pounds of boost, and 500whp lol, but i have destroyed my second gear in the 6 speed (pretty sure that was the B&M short shifter's fault) But i have heard numerous people tell me how weak the stock type-s 6 speed is. Im not sure if the 5 speed out of the SI or base RSX is any stronger but if it is like the differance between the NSX 6 speed, and older NSX 5 speed then it should be.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
With power like that I would go with the 5 speed for one simple reason, LESS SHIFTING...

If you are trying to keep traction (which you will be) why throw and extra shift and shorter gears in to teh mix?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
RSXracerBK04 said:
I seriously doubt he will have a problem falling out of V-tec with 25 pounds of boost, and 500whp lol, but i have destroyed my second gear in the 6 speed (pretty sure that was the B&M short shifter's fault) But i have heard numerous people tell me how weak the stock type-s 6 speed is. Im not sure if the 5 speed out of the SI or base RSX is any stronger but if it is like the differance between the NSX 6 speed, and older NSX 5 speed then it should be.
I don't think the 5 speed or 6 speed trannys are weak. I think it comes down to the driver and how he or she shifts. I have personally driven and rode in a Boosted A2 that performs ungodly on the track. Yea, 8900rpm shifts for 30 min sessions all day long. The owner would not let me shift at 8900rpm because I couldn't shift as slow and smooth as him. Slow and smooth at 8900rpm isn't easy, takes alot of practice. Ingauging the clutch, shifting the gears slowly, but the gas his punched like a mo fo. My 5 speed is holding up fine and so is his 6 speed and a doz K swaps I ahve seen come out of my shop are holding up fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
02sik24a2 said:
I don't think the 5 speed or 6 speed trannys are weak. I think it comes down to the driver and how he or she shifts. I have personally driven and rode in a Boosted A2 that performs ungodly on the track. Yea, 8900rpm shifts for 30 min sessions all day long. The owner would not let me shift at 8900rpm because I couldn't shift as slow and smooth as him. Slow and smooth at 8900rpm isn't easy, takes alot of practice. Ingauging the clutch, shifting the gears slowly, but the gas his punched like a mo fo. My 5 speed is holding up fine and so is his 6 speed and a doz K swaps I ahve seen come out of my shop are holding up fine.
I disagree, do a little research on clubrsx. People are having problems with the stock tranny all over, they are the weakest link in the car. I seriously doubt that mine would have broke had it not been for the short shifter, but i also agree with where you are coming from about the way people drive it as well. And if i was constantly shifting slow and taking it easy on my tranny im sure it would still be tact even with the short shifter, but if the owner of the car you are talking about has to shift slow and smooth at the track that should tell you that he is obviously afraid of breaking something.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Bottom line is it's up to the owner to not misshift and blow rings out of your syncros! The 5 & 6 speed are both great trannys and like any other tranny can't take miss after miss. Oh and the 6-speed does compliment the A & A2 FI or not.
I'm am going to be running the 6-speed for the first time and should fire her up next week, and I wouldn't put the 5-speed in my A2 build, so we'll see if she holds and if I can get good traction; Should seeing how I'm not using it for daily use and going to run DOT slicks for the street and drag slicks for track! Wish me luck on the tranny seeing how this is the subject???

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
RSXracerBK04 said:
I disagree, do a little research on clubrsx. People are having problems with the stock tranny all over, they are the weakest link in the car. I seriously doubt that mine would have broke had it not been for the short shifter, but i also agree with where you are coming from about the way people drive it as well. And if i was constantly shifting slow and taking it easy on my tranny im sure it would still be tact even with the short shifter, but if the owner of the car you are talking about has to shift slow and smooth at the track that should tell you that he is obviously afraid of breaking something.
The owner of the car Im talking about isn't afraid of breaking shit, when I ride with him I can't even talk b/c the g-force is pulling the breath out of my lungs. And through it all he is shifting so smooth because thats how this professionall level 4 instructor of N.A.S.A. does it. Smooth like butter. Next time I will tell him to shift poorly just for you. This guy pushes his car.
But I understand your point, when driving poorly the trannys just don't hold up. And yes the stock trannys grind on some. Not mine.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok just for the simple fact that some one else is going to be running a 6 speed, i am going to run the 5 speed, with the added help of a quaife of course, just to campare :up:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the process has started, i am supposed to be getting a 5 speed very soon here, ill let you all know how everything goes! nothing better than a compare and contrast thread here on k20a.org :up: :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
DWCHKYPMP20 said:
the process has started, i am supposed to be getting a 5 speed very soon here, ill let you all know how everything goes! nothing better than a compare and contrast thread here on k20a.org :up: :D
hey i have a n ep3 which of course ha sa 5 speed and i will trade you my tranny for your 6 speed i live in knoxville tn so give me an answer asap

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no dice man, sorry 6 speed already sold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Motor Trend's 4 Season/100,000 Mile Test on an 03' Type S proved the sychros in 1st and 2nd to be "likely maintenance issues" for RSX owners over time. Just an interesting fact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts