Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was wondering how many quart of oil do you use, what motor, what brand and weight?

for me(i don't know if this is normal or not) but my k20a takes 5 quarts to hit the second dot. i used castrol 5w30, but it seems the oil gets very milky after 3000 miles. i just put in royal purple 5w30 2 days ago to see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts
What do you mean by milky?

I've used mobil1 and royal purple both are great. My lil single cam loves royal purple, burns no oil and seems to run quiet too.

Also I've used regular mobil, castrol, pensoil, and no name stuff.

Just change it when it gets dirty, that's what I do. I dont go by mileage :eek:

I use 10w-30 for auto x season, summer and 5w-30 for winter

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Problems with Coffee

Interesting info

·
Premium Member
26,614 Posts
You ever drain your coolant and checked it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I`ve used mobil1 and castrol both are 10w40.. (both my `B`and `K` series setups)Working perfectly but burns some oil ..I think it`s normal for high-revving engines.
I`m planning to try motul 10w30 on my next `k24` application.
NOT: I live in CYPRUS (hot country..same as Miami ??)

Also before 4 years I tried to use Shell 10w60(for high revving engines,Ferrari 360 modena certf./also bmw m3) on b16b..very good in high rpms..hard vtec..but eats oil like fuel.. :D ... ohhh i like to try diffrent combinations.. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I`ve used mobil1 and castrol both are 10w40.. (both my `B`and `K` series setups)Working perfectly but burns some oil ..I think it`s normal for high-revving engines.
I`m planning to try motul 10w30 on my next `k24` application.
NOT: I live in CYPRUS (hot country..same as Miami ??)

Also before 4 years I tried to use Shell 10w60(for high revving engines,Ferrari 360 modena certf./also bmw m3) on b16b..very good in high rpms..hard vtec..but eats oil like fuel.. :D ... ohhh i like to try diffrent combinations.. :D
i had the same problem with castrol. were it eats up oil

·
Registered
513 Posts
I used mobile1 on my B18C5, the engine took alot of abuse and was running like new...but damn the oil consumption.
For my k20 I tried amsoil. The engine DOESNT burn oil, but maybe it is just a question of time before it starts to.
JF

·
Registered
513 Posts
I used mobile1 on my B18C5, the engine took alot of abuse and was running like new...but damn the oil consumption.
For my k20 I tried amsoil. The engine DOESNT burn oil, but maybe it is just a question of time before it starts to.
JF
I would say that for the typical midrange consummer, probably the mobil1 is a good bet(specially for the price, I THINK that nothing can beat it)
My friend has a EK GSR. It happens a couple of time that he just did not check out his dip stick.... When we did the oil change, there were maybe 1/2 quart left! I was omg must have hurt the engine...But nothing happen. He was using mobil1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.