Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who’s running an aftermarket oil pressure /temp sensor ? If so, would you be so kind to post which one you chose to go with and why? I am also looking to see pictures of installs that members have done or pics found on the web of k20/k24 engines using oil pressure sensors. Electronic or mechanical? In-line or directly mounted to the engine and where ? Purely for my own curious reasons as well as looking to install a sensor on my k24a at some point. Also , for those who have the data what were your average cold idle psi numbers , warm idle , WOT in and out of vtec ? Lots of questions , hopefully we see some answers and can get a good thread going ! 😎
Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
677 Posts
My oil temp and pressure sensor sit in AN10 1/8" NTP sensor adapters in my oil return line into the engine from the Laminova water oil heat exchanger.
The sensors themself are ordinary RaidHP items directly wired to my Garw LCD digital dash.

Never mount "can" type pressure sensors directly to the block. They are heavy and tend to brake off from vibration near the thread if directly mounted on the block.
The block vibrates with 2x the rotational frequency up and down from the 2nd order crank forces. This is pretty violent, especially if you don't run balance shafts.

if you use these, remotely mount them. You can get access to the oil feed if your relocate the VTP sensor using obscure BSP to AN adapters and a Tee.

Cold idle pressure is some 3-5 bar depending on oil temperature coming down to some 1.1 to 1.3 bar with the oil being at 90°C.
VTEC on/off or throttle position has no visible influence on oil pressure, at least post some 3000 rpm when the internal oil bypass opens keeping oil pressure constant. Why should it? Once open, oil pressure is at 5-5.5bar.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My oil temp and pressure sensor sit in AN10 1/8" NTP sensor adapters in my oil return line into the engine from the Laminova water oil heat exchanger.
The sensors themself are ordinary RaidHP items directly wired to my Garw LCD digital dash.

Never mount "can" type pressure sensors directly to the block. They are heavy and tend to brake off from vibration near the thread if directly mounted on the block.
The block vibrates with 2x the rotational frequency up and down from the 2nd order crank forces. This is pretty violent, especially if you don't run balance shafts.

if you use these, remotely mount them. You can get access to the oil feed if your relocate the VTP sensor using obscure BSP to AN adapters and a Tee.

Cold idle pressure is some 3-5 bar depending on oil temperature coming down to some 1.1 to 1.3 bar with the oil being at 90°C.
VTEC on/off or throttle position has no visible influence on oil pressure, at least post some 3000 rpm when the internal oil bypass opens keeping oil pressure constant. Why should it? Once open, oil pressure is at 5-5.5bar.
Thanks for sharing , exactly what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed a spa technique oil temp/pressure sensors off a oil filter sandwich plate. Ran the pressure sensor off a stainless -6 line to the sandwich plate so it would fit better, seems to work well. Cold start with 10w40 k20 pump is about 80psi, fully warmed up idle around 25.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed a spa technique oil temp/pressure sensors off a oil filter sandwich plate. Ran the pressure sensor off a stainless -6 line to the sandwich plate so it would fit better, seems to work well. Cold start with 10w40 k20 pump is about 80psi, fully warmed up idle around 25.
What made you choose the 10-40 oil ? Thanks for sharing your setup , if you have any pictures to add to the thread that would be appreciated 👍

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, if your engine is a k24/20 with the 20 pump and (steel pan I assume?) how much oil does it take to get to the top dot on the 24 dipstick? I’ve heard and seen a lot of people use 6 qts for various k24 engines but mine reads full just a bit after 4 qts. Original block and head but an accord steel pan which I doubt affects capacity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bearing clearances, 10-40was recommended by the place that put the block together for me. I usually add 4 and about 3/4 on oil change, brings it just above top dot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts