Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k24a4 with head and oil cooler from k20z3.
using k20a2 oil pump.

I would really like to go without this oil cooler and use external. or add to the oem cooler. for the added benefit of more and cooler oil.

I have heard this will effect oil pressure? lower?
what are ways I can increase oil pressure?

covering my bases on oil.
will use baffle also

·
Registered
279 Posts
Depends a lot on the oil line length. Long lines drop oil pressure, low ID lines drop pressure even more.
For short lines, I‘d go AN10, for really long lines, e.g. front mounted oil coolers on mid engined cars, I‘d consider even AN12.
For my Laminova water oil heat exchanger, I used AN10. Total length is about 2m.
AN12 would have been nice, but is PITA to route in a Lotus Elise engine bay.

You can shim the pressure relieve spring in the oil pump, e.g. 1.5mm, or use a stiffer sping. Joe McCarthy posted a MacMasterCarr part number here. Search for oil pump spring.
This slighly bumps the upper oil pressure at the pump exit.

If you have things apart, you can port the oil pump exit port. Oil has to pass a sharp corner entering the dowel leading to a pressure drop at high flow rates. I have not measured this, so don‘t ask me how much pressure drops. But it hurts even looking at this port in the oil pump and not fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well last week i brought my 1996 Lancer gsl and i noticed that my transmission cooler was dripping oil, upon removal i found that the oil cooler is leaking. I searched online to understand how does transmission work and how to install a new one, i found this link: https://transmissioncoolerguide.com/how-to-check-transmission-fluid/. I followed the video to check the oil and delete my oem oil cooler and install an external cooler. Now it runs great and never gets overheat even with long high speed driving.

·
Registered
452 Posts
well last week i brought my 1996 Lancer gsl and i noticed that my transmission cooler was dripping oil, upon removal i found that the oil cooler is leaking. I searched online to understand how does transmission work and how to install a new one, i found this link: https://transmissioncoolerguide.com/how-to-check-transmission-fluid/. I followed the video to check the oil and delete my oem oil cooler and install an external cooler. Now it runs great and never gets overheat even with long high speed driving.
You might want to take a look at EvoM for that issue as this is a Honda forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts