Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello gents

im very interested in this swap, considering the posibilities for it :)
i have experience in Honda engine swaps on almost every chassis, so i can have a feeling of what to expect.

but i have a few questions i find unanswered:
1) what about hood clearance and oil pan - to road cleareance? is it the same as a B-series or maybe H-series (which i dont like!!!) some pictures can be helpful!
2) wiring harness (this is going into a 98 Civic CX) no diagrams available? what is need and why?
3) what about Power Steering and A/C? i read about some ideas but havent seen a pic of anything... if i remember correctly hasport had some troubles in their Civic 2001 w/ K20A2 w hood clearance
4) most important, can someone comment about the general driveability of this swap... like lending it to your grandma? sorry if i wasnt funny at all but you get the idea... this car is gonna be an everyday car to work and get groceries... so i have to ask

thanks for reading this and any input you guys may have

·
Registered
599 Posts
dohcvtec said:
1) what about hood clearance and oil pan - to road cleareance? is it the same as a B-series or maybe H-series (which i dont like!!!) some pictures can be helpful!
2) wiring harness (this is going into a 98 Civic CX) no diagrams available? what is need and why?
3) what about Power Steering and A/C? i read about some ideas but havent seen a pic of anything... if i remember correctly hasport had some troubles in their Civic 2001 w/ K20A2 w hood clearance
4) most important, can someone comment about the general driveability of this swap... like lending it to your grandma?
1.The engine is as tall as the H22 so it does have some ground clearance issues. We designed the kit to have as much ground clearance as possible without modifying the hood. If you choose to mount a taller K24, then you need to remove some of the inner hood structure. One thing we are doing to fix the ground clearance is to offer a new EK kit that uses the EG rear crossmember, lower control arms, and rack. This allows us to move the engine back about two inches. Becuase the hood slopes as it goes forward we were also able to increase ground clearance another inch.

2. You will need an RSX engine harness and an adapter harness of some sort. We sell one that not only has the necessary comnnections to run the engine, but AC clutch relay, MIL, Radiator fan switch, temp gauge feed, alternator charge indicator, brake position, and I forget what else.

3. AC isn't a huge problem, there is room for the condensor on the opposite side as to where it is normally mounted. The only issue becomes having someone make AC lines for you. P/S is interesting I got an email from a customer who said that the P/S fits with just a little trimming of the inner hood structure. Once I try this on our EK I will go back and post pictures and info on the process. As soon as I can I will also post some picture of an EG with AC.

4. Driveability suffers not at all. The engine is basically weight as the B-series motor and because the engine is opposite the driver the balance is better. Andrie Hartanto who races an EK in NASA's Honda Challenge H1 class said that there were no ill afects to his handling, in fact he picked up two seconds a lap.

I hope I've answered your questions, we are in the process of making some changes to the project car section of our web site to include more technical information on this and other swaps.

brian g

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks brian
maybe you do dont remember me, but im one of the very first guys in PR to bought the B series into CRX engine mounts back in 1999?

im happy to see that your still as responsive as ever!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i was just curious with the height of the k24 motor...is the motor taller above the mounting points or is it taller over all. What im trying to get at is, if u were to swap a k20 in one car and install k24 in another car, would the oil pan clearance be the same? i know you have to modify the hood for the k24, i just want to know if it hangs lower then the k20

·
Resident Journalist
501 Posts
with my Swap, the Hasport Mount kit was perfect... befor ehte swap, i was worried about hte oil pan clearances, but after the swap, its not even anything to worry about. Its the other mount kit companies that sit the motor really low. This is one of the bigggest misconceptions of this swap, supposeddely teh oil pan is TOO low... its lower than bseries but nothing that you should be worried about. Just get eth Hasport Mount Kit and you wont have to worry about a damn thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.