Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: who here has one?

should run line from valve cover ---> catch can ----> IM or intake piping

see attached img.... should it run back to IM or intake piping...or is anyone running it to their block?

picked up one of these

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
depends on if you want a closed or open system. IMO, the simplest route would be to pull the plunger out of the pcv valve... plumb the modified pcv to a catch can. Put a pcv on top of the catch can, and plumb that to the intake manifold. You just have to make sure that you get a baffled catch can like the moroso breather tank. it has an oil drain cock on the bottom of it. with the b-series, you could set it up to drain the captured oil back into the block. Doesn't look like that is easily doable with the k-series.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kommon_sense said:
depends on if you want a closed or open system. IMO, the simplest route would be to pull the plunger out of the pcv valve... plumb the modified pcv to a catch can. .
pcv valve is on the valve cover (right hand side)?

kommon_sense said:
Put a pcv on top of the catch can, and plumb that to the intake manifold. You just have to make sure that you get a baffled catch can like the moroso breather tank. it has an oil drain cock on the bottom of it. with the b-series, you could set it up to drain the captured oil back into the block. Doesn't look like that is easily doable with the k-series.
I posted pics of the carbing catch can I will be using.... where would I plumb to on RBC IM??? should I get a breather & try to fit it to the top? I see the drain cock (lol) I will just leave that plugged for now

help - please :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what does pcv stand for?

so running a line from the rightside of the valve cover is not the way to go?

jesus...I think I am mentally challenged :hammer: I just want to sit in a corner & :cry:

so nobody has done this yet on a K....no pics

(wait to you guys see my wiring (hasport harness) thread I will be posting - probably get unanimously banned :dance: )

·
Registered
324 Posts
Purge something valve. But not sure.

You can just put a little air filter on the side of the valve cover.

People have run catch cans, but I haven't seen pics of it.

I might just plug mine up and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very good info to know....thanks to all for their input & in advance for those who have yet to contribute... I'm out, my power just got turned on at home...been out since friday :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Since i was kind of cryptic about the no valve cover thing before. I went searching and finally found a thread with pics on the proper way to run a catch can on your K.

Here's the location of the PCV.

Here's how you want to run the hoses.

More info...Catch can install

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
IPS-DC5 said:
Purge something valve. But not sure.

You can just put a little air filter on the side of the valve cover.
Please don't use an air filter on the valve cover whatever you do. Honda/Acura designed the PCV system for air to be sucked *INTO* the cylinder head from the intake. Thats one of the reasons that any honda you look at has a metal pipe between the valve cover and intake and the metal pip has a coolant line running through it to heat it up... it acts sort of like a heat pump to facilitate pulling air into the block... We are not talking about massive air flow here, but still positive pressure.

People have run catch cans, but I haven't seen pics of it.

I might just plug mine up and see what happens.
If using a catch can, it really needs to be baffled in order to trap the oil from the oil vapors emittted via the pcv. Unfortunately most cans on the market are not baffled (except for the moroso breather can). However you can go to home depot and buy a few feet of chain and drop it in the can. Some people say to use steel wool, but you really dont wanna go that route... in case a piece of it breaks off, you don't want it getting sucked into the intake manifold.

Here is a pic of how the system was designed on the older b/d/h series... I'm quite sure that the k series would be the same. This image was pulled right from a helms manual...

·
Registered
475 Posts
good info

·
Registered
324 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Please don't use an air filter on the valve cover whatever you do. Honda/Acura designed the PCV system for air to be sucked *INTO* the cylinder head from the intake. Thats one of the reasons that any honda you look at has a metal pipe between the valve cover and intake and the metal pip has a coolant line running through it to heat it up... it acts sort of like a heat pump to facilitate pulling air into the block... We are not talking about massive air flow here, but still positive pressure.
Well what happens when you have no intake. Say you have ITB's or the IPS LHP manifold.

I even had a Honda mechanic tell me it was ok to run a filter there. He said it would be fine as long as you don't block it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
subscribed.... yeah i got the same carbing oil catch can too. how much did u pick it up for 6spd_EK? Good info kommon_sense (T)... and yes i know i know i should have gotten the moroso catch can... pm me with a link or something of more pictures of it...

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it for $90 shipped (new-from H-T member)...payin' for the name I guess:dance:

6spd_EK said:
lastly - which size line would I use -6an or -8an? excellent info guys...this was exactly what I was looking for :up:

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
drhonda said:
What's the advantage of running an oil catch can?
I am doing this from memory based on discussions on the old TOO forum, so forgive me if I mispeak a bit here.

the stock honda pcv system has a few issues :

1. No vacuum at WOT which leads to excessive crankcase pressure which can lead to pumping lossess. This in turn leads to poor ring seal.
2. At low/part throttle, you have a vaccuum and this causes hot oil vapors to be recirculated back into the intake manifold... This leads to a loss of efficiency and a higher risk of detonation (combustion chambers don't like hot oil vapors).

So running a catch can keeps you from introducing oil vapors into the intake track (ever noticed how filthy the inside of your manifold is? thats why.) It also prevents you from burning as much oil in high rpm situations (see reason #1). Also, If you are boosted, running a breather/catch can will allow for a few more psi of boost (hot vapors increases chances of detonation).

As for a catch can, I will be using this one Moroso #85470 :

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
IPS-DC5 said:
Well what happens when you have no intake. Say you have ITB's or the IPS LHP manifold.
If running ITB's, then safe to say you aren't too terribly worried about emissions, so probably best to run an open system. Remove the PCV valve, put a threaded barb fitting in its place... Then run the hose from the valve cover and barb fitting both to a catch can with a filter on top. And block off the vacuum fitting on the IM that used to go to the pcv.

However in your pic, looks like you kept your little heated extension to hold the filter, so that is better than just sticking the filter directly onto the valve cover like people like to do. However when you have a complete intake, you will get more into the breather hose than just having the breather hose alone.

I even had a Honda mechanic tell me it was ok to run a filter there. He said it would be fine as long as you don't block it off.
I would trust the info presented in the helms manual first :) Also, just ask yourself why would honda go through the trouble of putting a coolant line onto the piping between the valve cover and intake arm/pipe if it did not serve a purpose.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts