Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1381 - 1400 of 1410 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
I wish there was an aftermarket center feed IM that had a 70mm TB flange with plenum design for 86x86 engines. I have a stellar idea for an intake just can't find one.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,746 Posts
this is on my IM wish list
Yeap, there flows some brain hours into that design, which looks smart and simple to me. What I especially like is the CAI box. I am not sure if they had an restrictor, but the thought behind the big volume and shape are inspiring.

Wanna share your thoughts?
I would be also interested in those.

I wish there was an aftermarket center feed IM that had a 70mm TB flange with plenum design for 86x86 engines
Why don't you fab your own? Carbon, 3D print, welding, ...todays possibilities are that big. If our fathers would have had them, they would look us like old today :D!

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Wanna share your thoughts?
I would be also interested in those.
This is going to be an intake for the DC5. Since I have a tucked radiator there is a huge amount of air that can be moved through the the front grill - duct work as large as 7.5" in width or dia can be used to feed a circular airbox. I would use a 90 or 180 degree intake coming off the TB of the centerfeed parallel to the radiator. The filter would be positioned pointing up and a huge air duct from the front grill feeding it and making air go around it in a circle.

Why don't you fab your own? Carbon, 3D print, welding, ...todays possibilities are that big. If our fathers would have had them, they would look us like old today
It would be something I could take on in the future. The RSP IM would be an OEM potential project. I know nothing of carbon fiber or fiberglass like BlackNDecker though.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Yeap, there flows some brain hours into that design, which looks smart and simple to me. What I especially like is the CAI box. I am not sure if they had an restrictor, but the thought behind the big volume and shape are inspiring.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Vehicle Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Car Hood

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive air manifold Personal luxury car

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Wheel

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Audi but ITB intake
Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Like other engines of the era, it still represented the peak of naturally aspirated tuning for the time, outfitted with individual 44mm slide throttle bodies fed by an enormous carbonfibre intake, upgraded with 85mm Mahle pistons and utilising dry-sump lubrication. Some sources quoted power as high as 296bhp at 8250rpm, and 188lb ft of torque at a screaming 7000rpm. In 1997, further modifications lifted power to around 316bhp – though some rivals were by then estimated to have more than 320bhp.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,746 Posts
...further modifications lifted power to around 316bhp – though some rivals were by then estimated to have more than 320bhp.
We are in contact with the creator (Lehmann Motorentechnik) and measured the predecessor head (5V) of the 320 flwhp engine. That head is fab-wise cracy, but flows not as good as as our 1200 hp 4V derivate. The 320 flwhp engine, it was that level, was a different head. Was a much better basis, the 4V variant of an V-engine out of the VAG engine spectrum. That head was modified around the STW racing rules, one piece was budget-wise a 5 digit heavy invest. The end of 80'ies and 90'ies were the peak of NA motorsport, unfortunately my brain wasn't ready to inhale all that amazing stuff that time.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,550 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
It’s interesting , k tuned offers the 90mm tb with 4,3.5, or a 3” coupling on the exit. I would think making the same adapters
I am looking at what you mean now. K-Tuned So the plenum chokes down to 76mm at the throttle body?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,746 Posts
Similar max power made in different ways, moded cl9 vs stock e46 330i.
This is a very nice comparison @Kowalski999. Thanks for sharing. Here one may imagine the BMW M54B30 engine may be better to run at applications e.g. like AutoX, where mid engine speed get more emphasis, but on high speed tracks the I am not sure if the K24 from Honda could keep up or even run up front of the same chassis but different engine race car. If the K24 would be built the application were the M54B30 could keep up get way less. 300 Nm and 300 hp are not the limit of a forged and modified 99 mm stroke engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a very nice comparison @Kowalski999. Thanks for sharing. Here one may imagine the BMW M54B30 engine may be better to run at applications e.g. like AutoX, where mid engine speed get more emphasis, but on high speed tracks the I am not sure if the K24 from Honda could keep up or even run up front of the same chassis but different engine race car. If the K24 would be built the application were the M54B30 could keep up get way less. 300 Nm and 300 hp are not the limit of a forged and modified 99 mm stroke engine.
Mid engine speed is quite different with both engines. Yes the K24 has less torque but being able to rev a lot higher and maintain power up top help it run a lot shorter final drive which from my limited knowledge in gears should mean more torque multiplication and in the end a faster car.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
the amount of the TQ in the BWM will make it much faster than the K24 in side by side performance in most conditions. the K24 may rev higher but that short blast of effort at the end is not as powerful as it looks on paper... if the K24 was carrying that power another 1,000 rpm it would be a huge difference. much does depend on the gearing and the transient response of the K24 vs the e46.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the amount of the TQ in the BWM will make it much faster than the K24 in side by side performance in most conditions. the K24 may rev higher but that short blast of effort at the end is not as powerful as it looks on paper... if the K24 was carrying that power another 1,000 rpm it would be a huge difference. much does depend on the gearing and the transient response of the K24 vs the e46.
Bmws have decently spaced gears but run long final drives, the K-series ratios on the EP3/DCX cars are tighter and shorter finals.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,834 Posts
Bmws have decently spaced gears but run long final drives, the K-series ratios on the EP3/DCX cars are tighter and shorter finals.
yes sir I am well aware of the benifits of Honda K-series gear ratios and final drive ratios from the DC5, EP3, FD2. It makes the "little 4 cylinder" accelerate better and spirint better in one gear scenerios. In most cases TQ is what moves the car and makes others take notice. Just like the highlight from the K20 going to a K24, increased stroke and bore equates to increased displacement. The rpm factor is helpful in most cases being able to extent the amount of TQ further towards the right and is which is responsible for the HP relation to the E46. Without the rpm advantage, the K24 would not even be worth talking about.

I love Honda engines and typically will alway hype them up vs other engines that do not rev as high b/c of what you are saying. However, the amount of TQ of the e46 is making is a big deal.

1381 - 1400 of 1410 Posts