Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
someone used supertech springs with oem valves? oem valves hold up well over time with supertech springs?

·
Registered
409 Posts
A friend and me use Toda single springs with OEM valves. He uses Schrick cams and I Toda A3.
I have now spun it to 9000 rpm with a suitably build bottom end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OEM valves flow partly better or equal to the Supertech counter parts. If engine speed need to go over OEM limit (K20 around 9000/min), this approach makes sense.
My question was focused on if the oem valve supports the supertech 95lbs spring pressure and does not cut over time
can I use supertech springs with oem valves without taking those risks?

·
Registered
409 Posts
many use these springs with OEM valves.
At least the Toda valves are compatible with the OE valve spring seats. I use them. The steel valve seats do not tend to wear unlike the lighter titanium items. These are a service item.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can’t speak specifically for these springs but I would call Supertech and ask them. I lost two B16 motors running Skunk 2 cams, springs and retainers. Both had valve heads snap off and destroyed the motors. I thought the first was just a random event because the motor ran fine for thousands of miles and let go leaving a traffic light in normal traffic so I wasn’t flogging it at the time. Second motor did the same thing leaving a light not hard on it and was using same cams, springs and retainers. Spoke to skunk only to find out they didn’t recommend those springs with stock valves.

they should know and it’s not a lot more for the insurance of not having a valve snap. You also didn’t mention if your running higher lift cams with the springs. If so even more reason to upgrade the valves.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can’t speak specifically for these springs but I would call Supertech and ask them. I lost two B16 motors running Skunk 2 cams, springs and retainers. Both had valve heads snap off and destroyed the motors. I thought the first was just a random event because the motor ran fine for thousands of miles and let go leaving a traffic light in normal traffic so I wasn’t flogging it at the time. Second motor did the same thing leaving a light not hard on it and was using same cams, springs and retainers. Spoke to skunk only to find out they didn’t recommend those springs with stock valves.

they should know and it’s not a lot more for the insurance of not having a valve snap. You also didn’t mention if your running higher lift cams with the springs. If so even more reason to upgrade the valves.
Hell, I thought oem k20 valves would take the pressure from supertech spring

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,722 Posts
Hell, I thought oem k20 valves would take the pressure from supertech spring
I never saw that or heard of that regarding K-series valves. So far I saw the only valves I saw or heard of which snapped were aftermarket valves (s. Snapped valve stem, Retainer/Cotter info | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum). Indeed the seat forces and the seat velocity are maybe bigger, but it is way not enough to let a valve snapping if the friction weld is done right. In that case OEM is more reliable then any aftermarket stuff, as they are designed for mass production and mass use. HONDA would not risk a mass recall on that, while most aftermarket fabricators test at customer side their products. Just my two cent here.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,722 Posts
to let a valve snapping if the friction weld is done right
The only thing what can be, but that is independent on valve brand and can bring down any welded valve stem is a not correct centerized valve guide and seat. That can cause hazardous oscillating seat impacts and bending (oscillation around the stem axis) forces. These can bring down any welded valve system, as this is a very sensitive system. Quality of cocentric of valve guide and seat is most important.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing what can be, but that is independent on valve brand and can bring down any welded valve stem is a not correct centerized valve guide and seat. That can cause hazardous oscillating seat impacts and bending (oscillation around the stem axis) forces. These can bring down any welded valve system, as this is a very sensitive system. Quality of cocentric of valve guide and seat is most important.
excellent explanation

1 - 10 of 10 Posts