Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been a lurker for years now, posting a little but reading a lot. There are a lot of hot ass cars on this site, so in many ways i feel like my ride is the green headed step child. I decided to post it up tho, in case there is anyone else out there that likes OEM builds as much as i do...

The car is a 95 EJ1. It sat for two years with no love, and in many pieces. I finally talked my friend into coming off it...

The interior was completely removed, cleaned, and reinstalled. There was even a little de-ricing goin down...

At this point i decided to get at the engine as i had the majority of OEM parts to complete the rebuild. Its a bit of a hybrid, so heres the list.

k20z3: cams, chain guide
k20a3: block, crank, rods
k24a1: head, cam towers, valves
k20a2/z1: pistons/ringset, wristpins, rocker assembly

Everything was spec'd out during the build. New crank/rod bearings and 98% new bolts.

Pistons were chosen from a group of 12 k20a2/z1, 4 of the best were used.

Valvetrain is yellow outers and red inners with the appropriate seats and retainers/cotters...

Moving along...

Almost there...

Good ol flipped pin VTEC...

And onto the more exciting parts of the swap...

... nothin like fried drill bits and rusty bolts. :down:

- Dave W

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys. Its a labor of love for sure. :heart:

After getting the bay mostly stripped, i found rust where a previous repair was made where the rad support meets the passenger frame rail. The rad support was slightly bent out at the bottom, which i mostly fixed... but i can see where the whole right corner was replaced now.

Ugh. It was hidden pretty well with seamsealer... but you can tell they didnt remove the AC hardline when they did the repair, and the seamsealer didnt completely hide the 'new' work by the passenger strut tower.

:mad:

·
K24 USDM EG
26,855 Posts
had the same issue with mine. people just laying sealent over poor work. :hammer:

looking good. motor came along nicely.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, its been hit in the right front, and in the back as well. It also looks like it was towed over a curb or something like that... there is a gash in the driver side foot well, another one a little further back, and the passenger side LCA chassis mount has been bent.

Since the rad support was bent outward away from the engine, i say that was drug over some curbing lifted by the back as it was towed... and the other marks were from the car going over the curb initially... maybe jumped a curb and went down into a slight ditch?

EH, i hate being so analytical sometimes. I can source the rad support easily, any ideas where i can get the floor pan? It looks like the driver and passenger side one is piece... :eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
looking good. bump for a ej1 owner

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im lookin forward to gettin this thing on the road... but the details are making this SOo time consuming. Can i get some insight?

1) Has anyone k swapped and retained cruise control?

2) Has anyone k swapped and tried to use either an EP/DC5 radiator with an OEM AC fan and shroud (low profile) for cooling... instead of just buying a slim fan?

I have been scouring pix after pix on this site and others... and i swear there is less room between the engine and a bare radiator in an EP than there is in a k swapped EG/EJ.

Is there a difference between either Hybrid/Hasport mounts fore/aft positioning of a k20 in an EG/EJ? I have stumbled across info considering axle position and angle for EKK1 and EKK2 mounts, but it doesnt look like that pertains to me (EJ1).

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I likey. Your garage is also like a heavenly build area. Mines is trashed. lol. Nice work

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx man... I get a lot of comments on the garage and its cleanliness. LOL

I need to update this thread, been really busy with the swap...

The countershaft...

Some goodies from HR...

And my solution for an OEM looking fuel setup...

Thats a Civic FPR for reference, but an AP1/2 FPR will be mated with the OEM fuel rail... and still fit under the IM cover. Nothing but two fuel hoses will be seen. Tuck THAT! lol :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx man... its coming together... im just slackin on posting pix and results.

The bay looks like ass cause its been scrubbed down with scotchbrite pads and Dawn to remove the majority of the oil and grease. I still have to beadblast the seam sealer (looks like mildew took set?) and parts of the bay. But i have other stuff to do first before i prep the bay for paint...

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would say in front if where your batter is in the picture thats where ek's have it for the secondary but it make it easy to run the primary for k swap cuz its closest on the headers you wil probably have to make a hole for it on eg though

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
You have a press for that countershaft right?

edit: well I imagine you do lol

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would say in front if where your batter is in the picture thats where ek's have it for the secondary but it make it easy to run the primary for k swap cuz its closest on the headers you wil probably have to make a hole for it on eg though
Ah... thanx for the suggestion. I was putting the HR harness in and realized i didnt see anywhere for the o2 wires to go through the chassis... and i didnt remember the HR instructions making mention of it. I figured the easiest thing would be to ask. :eek:

motor went together really good it looks like.:up:
good luck with your build
Thanx its been fun. This k was literally put together out of spares i had sitting in storage crates. lol

You have a press for that countershaft right?

edit: well I imagine you do lol
Yeah its actually all together now... but thanx for askin to be sure. :up:

The assembly of the car is close. I have all of these components waiting to be put together so i can mock up the final details.

I havent decided on some things... and kinda letting it happen as i put it together. Im sure i will wanna change something after its mostly assembled.

Thats another reason im waiting on paint. Im not sure what my canvas looks like yet, to know what color i wanna throw on it...

1 - 20 of 367 Posts